Beach Wheelchairs in Mexico

PIR8LUVR

Hi! I broke my foot 3 weeks ago and we'll be going on Radiance of the Seas to Cozumel & Costa Maya on November 22nd. My doctor said she will take me out of the hard cast just before I leave and put me in a soft, removable cast but still doesn't want me walking.

I am trying to figure out what excursions I can do. I really wanted to go to Tulum, but obviously that is out now. I am content at the beach and wondered about the availability of beach wheelchairs. I submitted my special needs request form with RCCL.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Hi! I broke my foot 3 weeks ago and we'll be going on Radiance of the Seas to Cozumel & Costa Maya on November 22nd. My doctor said she will take me out of the hard cast just before I leave and put me in a soft, removable cast but still doesn't want me walking.

I am trying to figure out what excursions I can do. I really wanted to go to Tulum, but obviously that is out now. I am content at the beach and wondered about the availability of beach wheelchairs. I submitted my special needs request form with RCCL.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

I don't have any advice for you but I was curious!!!!! Is their such a thing as a beach wheelchair and if so where do you get info about them. I've never heard of one and I've haven't ever gotten to far in the sand with my wheelchair. That would be great if they have them. Nice that you get the cast off before your trip, so much better than still having it. I think you'll be able to enjoy yourself a lot more.

Rhonda

The only place I've seen beach wheelchairs are on the private islands that the cruise lines "own". The cruise line itself does not carry beach wheelchairs with them, they are left on the island. I've not seen them provided on public beaches in Mexico. Perhaps if you called a couple of resorts to see if they have them, that might be an option. But public beaches just don't have that service.

I will be taking a scooter on our cruise in Jan and we plan to go to Chankanaab Park in Cozumel - we have never been there before. My research indicates that it is somewhat handicap friendly and that they have beach wheelchairs. Also, HC people get in free. I've read that you will have to have someone push you because of the big wheels and no hand rails and that they are hard to push in the sand. If you do a google image search for beach wheelchair rentals, I think you will get an idea of what they look like. So, since you are going in Nov and we don't go until Jan, would you mind taking pictures of the accessability and reporting back to us? Am especially interested in accessing the dolphin encouter area and also accessing the water to snorkel. I can walk short distances with assistance and climb some steps. I hope you are on the mend and will make a full recovery.

Here are a few photos of Beach Wheel Chairs

You can tell the difference by the "Balloon Wheels"

http://www.spinlife.com/Natural-Access-Landeez-All-Terrain-Pool-and-Beach-Chairs/spec.cfm?productID=1974

http://www.bizchair.com/722-atc-mjm.html?utm_campaign=PriceGrabber&utm_medium=Comparison&utm_source=pricegrabber.com&utm_term=All%20Terrain%20Umbrella%20Chair%20

And 3 more here: http://www.wheelchairselect.com/Pool-and-Beach-Wheelchairs-C315086.html?refid=G27003.%22beach+wheel+chair%22&gclid=CM_l-cDagKUCFRRKgwodBVw6PQ

Joanie

I am content at the beach and wondered about the availability of beach wheelchairs. I submitted my special needs request form with RCCL.

Sorry but the only place RCCL will provide Beach wheelchairs is on their private island. They do not provide them elsewhere. They are very expensive so few beaches have them. Also, you need someone with you to operate them. Someone needs to push etc.

I am not sure but I think that Chankanaab park in Cozumel have them. I am not sure about Costa Maya.

Good luck.

Even though my somewhat able bodied husband will be with me, I'm hoping there will be a strong, handsome, young hispanic man to push me around at Chankanaab for a fee :D:D:D Hubby can go off and do what he wants and we're both happy!!!! :o:):rolleyes:

If not, I am happy to just sit where I land and enjoy the beach.

Rhonda, yes they definitely have them at Coco Cay. I remember seeing them when I was there a couple years ago.

Hi Do any of you happen to know if any of the Beaches of Nassau or Cococay rent these beach chairs? We're heading there in Dec on RCI and it would make it a lot easier. Thank you for the help.

Rhonda

Even though my somewhat able bodied husband will be with me, I'm hoping there will be a strong, handsome, young hispanic man to push me around at Chankanaab for a fee :D:D:D .

What a great idea. I like the way you think. lol

Archived