Inch of Gold: Replace on-board?

billie5

A couple of years ago I bought an Inch of Gold chain (a thick one, being a guy) on-board. Within a year it had totally tarnished. Yes, I know that some CCers report wearing it every day with no problem, but it seems to be a question of body chemistry. I also wore it every day, since I kept a gold pill fob on it, and, boy, did it every tarnish. I must have an anti-Midas body.

Anyway, I replaced it with a real gold chain, which, needless to say, looks the same now as the day I bought it, but I prefer to wear less expensive stuff when I travel. Will the Inch of Gold shop on my cruise in two weeks replace their chain on-board? Will I need to produce the original receipt, or can they tell just by looking at it that it is an Inch of Gold chain?

Bill

A couple of years ago I bought an Inch of Gold chain (a thick one, being a guy) on-board. Within a year it had totally tarnished. Yes, I know that some CCers report wearing it every day with no problem, but it seems to be a question of body chemistry. I also wore it every day, since I kept a gold pill fob on it, and, boy, did it every tarnish. I must have an anti-Midas body.

Anyway, I replaced it with a real gold chain, which, needless to say, looks the same now as the day I bought it, but I prefer to wear less expensive stuff when I travel. Will the Inch of Gold shop on my cruise in two weeks replace their chain on-board? Will I need to produce the original receipt, or can they tell just by looking at it that it is an Inch of Gold chain?

Bill

Is the Inch of Gold supposed to be REAL gold? I didn't think real gold tarnished! It would make me wonder if you got what you paid for, but I don't know enough about jewelry to know if this is normal or what they said the composition of the inch of gold chain was....

Is the Inch of Gold supposed to be REAL gold? I didn't think real gold tarnished! It would make me wonder if you got what you paid for, but I don't know enough about jewelry to know if this is normal or what they said the composition of the inch of gold chain was....

No, it's not "real gold". It's a thin gold plating on a base metal.

The OP obviously knows it isn't real gold, because he said "I replaced it with a real gold chain".

i think you need your receipt...but it couldnt hurt to go take your chain and show someone on your sailing at the Inch of Gold station and see what they can do...we have had many pieces thru out the last 10 years and never had a tarnish prob or other prob...i always purchase a piece of two...silver/gold and i am always HAPPY with it!

GOOD LUCK:)

Oh, c'mon Billie5. Why would you expect the shop to replace the chain? Unless there some sort of warranty, you knew what you were buying...sounds kind of HOKIE.

The product has a warranty, and billie5 has never struck me as a fool, so I'll guarantee he knows that. His real question is whether he needs to bring his receipt in order to get them to honor the warranty.

Bill

If you thought this was real gold I have some florida swamp land for sale. And why even waste your time on such junk

Bill

I am almost sure you have to mail it to their Florida address and they will replace it. If nothing else you can get the address from them.

If you thought this was real gold I have some florida swamp land for sale. And why even waste your time on such junk

He didn't think it was real gold. If you read his post carefully you would have seen he said "I replaced it with a real gold chain", and he also said "I prefer to wear less expensive stuff when I travel", which clearly indicates to me that he knew he wasn't buying real gold.

I was under the impression that it was not to be worn constantly. It was even suggested that it be removed for bathing or showering. Considering the prices of gold today, I would not consider it to have the same properties of real gold. You get what you pay for.

There is absolutely a "Lifetime Warranty" associated with the "buy by the inch jewelry " sold on the NCL cruise ships. I am unsure of the particulars, however, I definately would bring your chain along with you and inquire as to the return process. You may indeed be advised to mail it to their home office, however, I am sure they will be able to direct you accordingly. Good Luck and please let us know how things worked out for you. On another note, this is a popular item on the ships as there are always lines of people buying these chains. I bought an item, years ago, and it still looks nice. There is nothing wrong with this jewerly and it is not junk. :)

Billie5: Let me tell you from experience that all you have to do is bring your old chain back and they will replace it, no questions asked. I have done this 3 times already and was never asked for a receipt. The people on the ship will support the warranty. Have a great cruise.

Billie5: Let me tell you from experience that all you have to do is bring your old chain back and they will replace it, no questions asked. I have done this 3 times already and was never asked for a receipt. The people on the ship will support the warranty. Have a great cruise.

Thanks!

I will bring my bracelet that not only tarnished but a link broke.

I had the receipt for a while but then tossed it.

It's worth a try, at least.

The GF purchased me a braclet for me about 3 cruises ago on our last cruise she was going to buy me another since it was inexpensive. The GF mentioned that she purchased the old one on a earlier cruise and they replaced it noi charge just advised that not to wear in the pool which I don's since I do not like swiming pools. Since this was unexpected we did not have a receipt

Thanks, Blaster and TheBomb. (Hey, are you guys related?) That was exactly the info I was seeking.

When you buy from Inches of Gold, they do not obscure the fact that their chains are based on their special plating process, ie., a very thin layer of gold plating. The warranty does indeed ask you to return it to their factory for replacement if it tarnishes, but I had read a number of comments from CCers who were able to replace it on board another cruise. The issue I needed addressed was whether this was generally true, and whether a receipt was needed.

The reason I bought their plated necklace was the fact that the weight I wanted was over one and one-half ounces. For solid gold that was a lot of money to spend on jewelry for me, although I would not hesitate to spend it on my wife, about $1000 for 14kt at the time. By the time I gave up and bought solid gold, I had to pay $1400, but would now be closer to $2000 I assume.

Bill

it still looks nice. There is nothing wrong with this jewerly and it is not junk. :)

totally agree...having all types of jewelry from the $$$$ to cheap..i find nothing wrong with this jewelry either and enjoy wearing it and plan to purchase some more next month:)

sometimes i get more compliments on that stuff then i do the REAL stuff;)

Bill

I knew I had it somewhere here you go:)

Inch of Gold

"Phone: 561-842-3103 or 1-800-854-3434 (toll-free)

Fax: 561-842-5572

E-Mail: ioginc@aol.com

Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Eastern standard Time). We are closed weekends and for standard US national holidays.

If you have purchased an Inch of Gold/Silver chain from one of our retailers (including cruise ships) please feel free to contact us for any post-purchase customer service issues that we can assist you with. As per the product guarantee received, please send us any jewelry needing service, repair or replacement to:

I.O.G. Customer Service

3975 Investment Lane

West Palm Beach, FL 33404

USA

Archived