Jamaica Bobsled and Dunns River Falls

happy5

We are booked on the Conquest for New Years!!! Wondering if anyone has gone on the Bobsled and Dunns river falls excursion. Been to Jamaica once and did not enjoy it...long story...and wanted to make this trip more enjoyable. It will be me, my husband and 3 grown children. Is the trip to the Falls worth it? how is the drive on the bus? thanks

Been to Montego Bay, and Mystic Mountain in Ocho Rios, twice now. Rode the boblsled once. It was fun, but not any more special than a ride at a theme park (i.e. Six Flags). I would save my money. Hubby and I liked the zip line though (2008). And the infinity pool at the top (gorgeous view) was inviting, but we didn't feel welcome to get in (didn't buy a ticket); sure wanted to though!

The view on the mountain is spectacular though. We booked with Carnival, which included lunch (OK, not great- not bad either-kinda bland though I guess).

Recently I went with my mom to Mystic Mountain AND Dunns Falls (through Carnival Conquest), just to see and observe the falls. I heard of one who fell on the rocks. I have heard that the rocks are slipery, and it looks like a "vigorous" climb. Even the walk on the side is a bit steep, but I went down and up to take pictures. I've heard you have to see the falls when in Jamaica. I'm not really that sure about that one, though. Glad to say I've been there, but..... didn't seem that great to me.....

Have you seen Pics? I can try to find my pics- though not that great....

The 1.5 hr bus ride from Montego Bay was nice. We enjoyed the scenery-both ways. No big deal.

The excursion for the "Sky Explorer" and Dunns Falls was 7 hours. We were pressed for time and had no time for shopping when we got back to the port. That was disappointing, and just could have been our tour is all. It took "forever" to get someone to wait on us for our lunch at the top of Mystic Mountain.

We will skip the falls next time (already been there twice), though the beach there at the base of the falls is lovely.

The chair lift to Mystic Mountain is very cool and the pool and waterslide at the top were great. Perfect view of the ship too. Don't remember anything about the food. The bobsled was fun too--in the real jungle.

We saw zipliners as we came back down on the chairlift and want to do that next time.

have fun!

I am a big chicken and almost backed out of climbing the falls. But in the end I made it up to the top and so glad I did. I enjoyed the bob sled just wish we could of did a few runs instead of just the one

DH and I did this excursion on our last cruise and enjoyed it a lot! Loved the falls (it is a work out if you are out of shape, but I did it!) and the bobsled was a blast! If you do it, DON'T use the brakes! It is soo much fun! And if you really like it, you can purchase additional runs when you get back to the top! The sky ride to the top of the mountain was breath-taking! Have your camera ready; you can see the ship in port from the lift!

Enjoy!

I have done both Dunns River Falls and the Bobsled at Mystic Mountain. Although I did them at separate times. For Dunns River Falls, I would just take a taxi from the port to the falls and not do an organized excursion. The orgainzed excursions go up the falls in large groups (30-40 people). When we got to the Falls, there were plenty of tour guides at the bottom who will take you up in smaller groups. Our group was just like 7 of us. The guide took us up the Falls and was great to point out the easiest paths to take. He would also stop and take out photos at different neat photo spots along the way up. And we still finished way before the organized tours did.

On another cruise, we booked the Mystic Mountain tour that includes the skyride up to the the top of the mountain, the Bobsled and the ziplines. It was a great tour. The skyride up is about 15 minutes and it has some great photo opportunities along the ride. The tour included one ride on the Bobsled. It was great fun. We were a little worried that it might be too jarring for my mom's back. She doesn't have any major back issues, but she was 70 years old at the time and we just wanted to be sure it wouldn't whip her around too much. We were told that each person can control the speed of their Bobsled. If you want to go slower, you just pull back on the brake some. Or let it go, if you want to fly. Mom had no problems and we all loved it. Wish the tour included more than one ride. The ziplines there are also great. Mom did this part as well and we had a blast. Also at the top of the mountain is a nice little shop and restaurant.

Misty

We did this excursion last Spring, it was a blast. The Bobsled was SOOOOO much fun, we all did it several more times, if we ever go back to Jamaica we would definitely do this excursion again. If you do the Falls make sure you have proper water shoes and a waterproof camera.

The excursion includes one ride of the Boblsled each but you can purchase more at the top if you want too. Make sure you check out the picutres they take while you are on the ride, we dont usually buy the pictures from rides, but the faces of our kids were priceless and we couldn't not buy them!!

We did this tour last year from Montego Bay and really enjoyed it. It was our 4th time in Jamaica and wanted to see something other than MoBay. The ride up the lift was beautiful and we were able to see a RCCL ship in the bay of Ocho Rios. I elected to ride in back of the bobsled and told my husband "no brakes!" while I took video of our ride down. It was a blast! (you can have your own bobsled if you wish) The lunch that is included is jerk chicken and was very tasty. It includes a Red Stripe or soda. The dining area was all windows and had a nice view of OR bay also. They have a small gift shop at the top of the mountain which was nice as it was a long excursion timewise and left no time to shop in MoBay other than at the port itself. We were able to purchase a photo of us on the lift that is taken on the way up. We got caught in a short rainforest downpour halfway down the lift - we put the camera in the plastic gift bag and laughed the rest of the way down. When we arrived at Dunns Falls we were pretty wet and looked like we had already done the falls. The guys out front asked us if we wanted a taxi back to town and we had to explain we just arrived. Got some funny looks! The Falls were beautiful and fast that day. I got some wonderful pics of DH climbing, I walked up the side since I had just recovered from a broken hip a few months before and didn't want to take any chances on slipping on the rocks. There are areas you can get in and out of the falls without making the full trek up. The bus ride to and from MoBay was nice, got to see some scenery other than town. Had a great tour guide, she had some good stories and jokes and even taught us all a bit of Jamaican.

All in all it was a fun trip and all of us on it enjoyed. I heard no complaints from any of the others.

This month we are going on the Negril trip and looking forward to a fun time! :)

Have done both and enjoyed both. Only problem, however, is the exit at dunns falls. The vendors are the worst we have ever experience in 15 cruises. When you leave just go out of the entrance instead of the exit. You will be so thankful you went out of the entrance. Have fun!:)

DRF has moved the vendor area and unless you choose to go there you miss it, you no longer have to run the gauntlet to exit.

To OP you can easily find both DRF and MM on Google Earth and there are dozens of pictures hooked to the locations for your enjoyment. Find Ocho and just run the coast to the west.

If visiting Ocho, DRF is about 2 miles away, with MM between the pier and DRF ... you can see it from the ship once you know where to look.

Person'ly I wouldn't do these attractions from Montego Bay .... too long on the bus for me.

• 4 months later...
DH and I did this excursion on our last cruise and enjoyed it a lot! Loved the falls (it is a work out if you are out of shape, but I did it!) and the bobsled was a blast! If you do it, DON'T use the brakes! It is soo much fun! And if you really like it, you can purchase additional runs when you get back to the top! The sky ride to the top of the mountain was breath-taking! Have your camera ready; you can see the ship in port from the lift!

Enjoy!

Do you remember how much they charged for extra runs?

• 4 months later...

Archived