Insurance & ship break down

cruise kitty

We always buy insurance independent of the cruise line...cannot figure out what type of insurance would cover a situation like the Century fiasco... I would have thought it would be covered under trip cancellation, but from what most are saying, it is not. So, does anyone know exactly what to look for in a policy in order to be completely covered in a case of mechanical failure?

You need to look for trip cancellation or interruption due to "mechanical breakdown" of your common carrier. Some just cover delay not cancellation of trip. Common carrier could be airplane, cruise ship, taxi, etc. We purchased this coverage after SIL missed the ship due to a plane breaking down. She was flying the day before but they had to wait until a replacement plane was brought in. The hotels, flights etc to catch up to the ship were all on her dime.

We are sailing in January and I just called Travelex today about trip insurance. I specifically asked if their policies covered mechanical problems similar to the one encountered with Celebrity. I was told no. It would not fall under trip interruption because it was caused by the cruiseline. He thought for a few seconds and said he didn't even know of any other company that would cover this.

This is an excerpt from my policy. I did phone and confirm that I would have been covered in the case of the Century.

Trip Interruption & Delay Insurance – (After Day of Departure)

If you must interrupt or delay your day of return due to a covered event listed

below, this insurance will reimburse you for the extra cost of a one-way economy

airfare to your province or territory of residence or your next destination point

and any unused non-refundable and non-transferable land arrangements up to a

maximum of $8,000 per insured person per trip. This benefit does not reimburse

the unused portion of any travel ticket.

One of the covered events

5. Delay of your common carrier or a private automobile resulting from the

mechanical failure of that carrier, a traffic accident, an emergency policedirected

road closure, weather conditions or flight delay, causing you to miss

a connection or resulting in the interruption of your trip arrangements.

Is the ship considered a "common Carrier?

Even if it is it sounds like Christine Frances's policy would just cover the return ticket and any unused non-refundable hotel costs but none of the unused flight costs. Doesn't sound like there would have been a huge payout on the Century fiasco other than if one had to buy a new ticket for the return airfare.

Archived