Santorini - is there a cable car alternative?

Dayenu

It is my understanding, all tours, even those who pick you up off the tender, drop you off on the top to take the cable car. For those who can't walk down or use a donkey, and cannot stand for an hour in line, is there an alternative?

Is there a tour that does not drop you off at the top? Bus tour, or boat tour that can be taken from the tender point and back without going "upstairs"?

No. Those are the only choices. I don't see an hour wait except in the most extreme cases- late in the day, right before several ships might be sailing. When we were there we waited maybe 20 mins in the morning with two ships in port, to come up. But coming back down at 2pm, there wasn't a line at all. You had to wait a couple of minutes for the tram to arrive.

Also, as mobility seems to be an issue, the area where you stand just before getting on the tram is a fairly steep slope. The same is true when you get off the tram. May be a problem for some.

We took the donkeys up! We wanted to experience the "ancient" way of getting to the top and really enjoyed the experience. And then, like others have said, there was no wait for the the cable car on the way down. It won't get crowded until you get within an hour or so of the time you "must" be back on-board. So, just make sure you beat the crowds back. Enjoy Santorini!!!

We did a winery tour on the Grand Princess Med cruise, and we did not have to get off the bus in Fira. We rode the bus down to the landing where we had boarded it. Then tendered back to the ship.

You just have to read the description of the tour closely.

Can someone describe, in detail, the area from the tender to the cable car and the area at the top of the cable car boarding area? I'm trying to assess accessibility for a wheelchair user who cannot walk, so I'm needing info on steps, stairs, etc. Thanks in advance.

Can someone describe, in detail, the area from the tender to the cable car and the area at the top of the cable car boarding area? I'm trying to assess accessibility for a wheelchair user who cannot walk, so I'm needing info on steps, stairs, etc. Thanks in advance.

The hardest thing will be getting off the tender...when you get off the surface is smooth and it is only when you get to the cable car there is steps....I amafraid I cannot remember what the facilitys are from there...I must say that we had two drop off points by tender...I travelled with the Noordam and people on bus tours were dropped off earlier at a point where the buses drove down to pick people up...I was not one of those people but I am sure if you contact the cruise line they may be able to advise...I will say that the cable cars will not be too much of an issue but if you are in a wheel chair evrything in santorini will be a problem...very narrow streets with lots of steps and steep angles...sorry I hope people can give better ideas:)

The cars seat 6, 3 on each side. If a person is in a foldable wheel chair, you can put 6 in, and the wheel chair goes in between the rows of people.

If it is not a collapsing wheel chair, I am not sure you can take the tram. I am not sure the trolley is wide enough- at best it will be very tight. Plus, as mentioned, the area where you stand and step into the trolley is a pretty steep slope. The step into the trolley would be an issue.

As mentioned, getting off the tender will be a challenge. There is a 1-2 block flat walk to the Tram building, and a ramp. But then there are the issues of the size of the trolley and the steeply slopped loading area.

In Europe, wheelchair accessability isn't the same as the US. Many places have something resembling ramps, but you also have to deal with a lot of cobblestone streets- Santorini is no exception, particularly the area at the top of the Tram. There is a ramp to access the two ends of the tram. But the slope of the loading area will make it very tough.

Be sure to check with the cruiseline. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that wheelchairs weren't allowed to go up there.

We have mobility issues, and my fear of heights, therefore opted for the ship's tour.

Worked great, our tender looked like a pirate ship, we went to the smaller port, boarded the bus and I closed my eyes as we made our way up the twisting road to the top of the caldera. Did the same thing going down, had a wonderful tour.

Of course we missed Fira and Oia, but saw the countryside, winery and went to the highest point to look down on all of Santorini.

Good Luck!

Archived