Anyone booted from a 4J less than 2 weeks out??

Eeyore_Lover

Sorry, it's a federal RULE attached to the ADA.

Yes, and these rules are regs issued by agencies. They are not laws (statutes) passed by Congress.

Congress has always to make a choice: what to put into a law and what to leave to the agencies to regulate. If Congress attempts to legislate the bulk of the issue, it ends up with 2000 page laws, which, as we have all seen recently, has an obvious downside. If it leaves the bulk of the issue to agency regs, then non-elected bureaucrats are making regulations which everyone has to abide by. There is no ideal choice.

Bill

I fully understand the risk booking an accessible room, and would not have minded being asked to relocate, were the sailing not 10 days away. Even as recently as 2 weeks ago there were other 4Js available on Upper and Empress decks. But now I am being asked to move from 1003 on Panorama to either the Riviera or Main deck, and my only choices are 1312 and 2478.:(

I'm certainly not going to flame you for booking a handicapped room when they allowed you too, or for being frustrated that you're being asked to move. When I book a room, that's what I've got my heart set on, and being asked to move would be a bummer.

However, the 2 rooms they are offering you are definitely magnificent options! Don't get too down about being asked to move, because I think you're getting something better. 2478 is an aft oceanview, and people love aft rooms, to look out at the wake of the ship. However, if you'd like a room that won't have quite so much motion, you can't get much better than 1312. It's midship and low, the perfect recipe for the smoothest ride. Plus, both rooms will be a full 220 sq.ft, and you're 1003 probably isn't bigger than that. Plus, 1003's beds cannot be pushed together. It's an awkward shaped room, and they can't go together. If you are traveling with a spouse, that wouldn't have been nice for you. With 2478 and 1312, the 2 beds can be pushed together, if you want. And, these rooms are an unobstructed oceanview. Nobody will be walking around right outside your window, like they can on 1003, where you have to keep the drapes closed at night, or anyone can easily see inside.:eek:

I hope all of this helps, and I really do think that you will be happier with 2478 or 1312 than you would've been in 1003. Have a great cruise!:)

Please, cruisecritic community, we'll get nowhere if we keep flaming everyone. Let's build people up, and not tear them down.

Eeyore_Lover, just to reiterate (because I don't want you feeling bad about yourself or your situation), either of the 2 options they gave you are great options, and I think that either would be even better than what you had. You'll have a true oceanview room, unobstructed & private, with 2 beds that can be pushed together. It is further to get to lido deck/buffet/waterslides, but you're closer to the dining rooms and promenade. So you lose some advantages, but you gain others.

Sorry, I don't see the issue here. The OP booked an accessible room which he did not need. He was told he might be moved if someone who needed the room came along. Apparently that happened (disabled people sometimes do try to book cruises at the last minute, just like a lot of non-disabled people do!).

So the OP was moved to a BETTER room. What's the problem?? :confused:

I had a handicapped 4K on the Legend (french door cabin) and we were bumped up to an 8C Balcony which we did not find out about until we were at the port processing. They said they need the cabin for someone handicapped within a week of sailing. Never got any phone call or email.

If I were you I would call and politely demand a cabin category equal to or better than the price you paid when you booked it not at the current prevailing price. Everyone knows you can get booted out of a handicapped cabin but they should accomodate you to an equal or better cabin category. Frankly they should not even put people in handicapped cabins unless they are handicapped or maybe at the last minute to fill the cabin.

The fact that they only have 4A or 4B cabins left for you in this situation is IMO unacceptable. If they really don't have anywhere else to put you (which I doubt) then I would expect some compensation in the form of OBC etc. for you having to settle for a less expensive cabin than what you booked and paid for.

Be polite but firm is my advice.

So how is a TA or PVP supposed to know whether the person booking the cabin is handicapped or not? It's not like the PVP comes over to your house to verify you are in a wheelchair? And I don't know of a single person who has not told a lie, fib, little white lie, etc....to get their way at some point in time in life. Maybe the person trying to book an HA and is told they are already booked by non handicapped people but the second person says there are handicapped just so they can get the room? I believe it should be first come, first serve. In real life, the early bird catches the worm, the person in second does without or learns to get up earlier.

So how is a TA or PVP supposed to know whether the person booking the cabin is handicapped or not? It's not like the PVP comes over to your house to verify you are in a wheelchair? And I don't know of a single person who has not told a lie, fib, little white lie, etc....to get their way at some point in time in life. Maybe the person trying to book an HA and is told they are already booked by non handicapped people but the second person says there are handicapped just so they can get the room? I believe it should be first come, first serve. In real life, the early bird catches the worm, the person in second does without or learns to get up earlier.

You have got to be kidding me :eek: So do you think there should be no HC parking spaces? If you are not HC, stay out of the HC rooms!!! There are hardly any to begin with...if you want a bigger cabin, book a different category.

I believe it should be first come, first serve. In real life, the early bird catches the worm, the person in second does without or learns to get up earlier.

REALLY???

Like my husband I see in your signature that you are retired Military, would you feel this way if one our heroic soldiers that has given his lower extremities for his country needed the room? I myself would sleep in the closest closet and give them my cabin no matter how early I got up!

To the point of the thread,,,, the OP got an upgrade out of something that they did not pay for so they did pretty good. Yes they booked a cabin they do not qualify for and are disappointed because they wanted to experience that cabin category.. Worse could happen = they could actually need it!

A "little white lie" is something that is told to be tactful or spare someone's feelings from hurt. When you tell an untruth to get your way or further your own ends at someone else's expense, that's called a LIE.

Personally, I think the HC cabins should be held until the last week or so, then booked if still open. Carnival, however, has their own system, so any able bodied person who books a HC cabin will just have to be prepared for the possibility of being moved.

Not in the case of the OP - but let's say this:

I know that there are very limited HC rooms on each ship. What were to happen if the rule was enacted by Carnival that states only a HC person could book these rooms - then what happens to poor Opal May who decides one month prior to the cruise that she wants on that sailing, only to find out all HC rooms are already booked (presumably by all HC people). Now what?

The reason I have to ask this question is because there really is no right or wrong answer. Some how, poor Opal May is going to be denied her right to a proper room for her.

The new DOT rule will effect cruise lines in a major fashion if you have read it. Things that have to change are:

Accessible cabins MUST be taken from able bodied people until a certain time period before the cruise.

If all of the accessible rooms in say an interior are occupied, they must offer you the next higher accessible room at the interior rate.

The cruise line must give you all information need to take services animals to the ports visited. In the past this was the guests responsibility.

If a person with a service animal cannot take it ashore due to quarantine regulations the line must provide someone to watch the animal.

They can't limit they type of mobility device a person uses. Previously you couldn't bring a Segway if that is what you used.

They have to make accomidations for mobility devices if they won't fit in the cabins.

They can't limit the number of service animals allowed onboard.

These are just some of the changes. Obviously they had an impact because this isn't the first thread about people being moved out of accessible rooms recently.

There shouldn't have to be a law passed to enact something like this, just glad it is done now though. HC cabins should only be booked to people with a HC up until the ship is full with the exception of these cabins and then they are open to those booking last minute. If you are HC then you are lucky to get one, if you are not HC then you also get one but only because that is all that is available and Carnival cannot be faulted or charged as they want to sail full and you cannot be moved because there is nothing else available if these are all that there is. Does this make sense

There shouldn't have to be a law passed to enact something like this, just glad it is done now though. HC cabins should only be booked to people with a HC up until the ship is full with the exception of these cabins and then they are open to those booking last minute. If you are HC then you are lucky to get one, if you are not HC then you also get one but only because that is all that is available and Carnival cannot be faulted or charged as they want to sail full and you cannot be moved because there is nothing else available if these are all that there is. Does this make sense

I always figured this was why people would book inside guarantees - that way if any HC rooms go unsold, they can be issued out at the last minute.

I ended up in an HC room one time this way. I did not know my room number until I pulled into port.

I agree but the way it is now often HC cabins are sold to anyone as far as 2-3 months from sailing. I have seen this for both NCL and CCL. In fact we were assigned a NC balcony on our NCL cruise a month ago ,2 MONTHS from the sailing date.

Not sure what the issue is. If you book a HA cabin and you are not handicapped,you are taking your chances.

The system is working as it should. I think the system is just fine.Why are any changes needed?

The only issue possible is making sure that people know the risk of booking a HA room.

I'm pretty sure very few people are unaware of the risk when they book these cabins (regardless of what they say later).

Rich

The reason is that cruiselines wouldn't bump people out of HC cabins once they were booked. Many people on CC bragged about booking a HC room and not needing it. My wife needs on and at times they are all booked by a year out and ablebodies are in them.

Rich

The reason is that cruiselines wouldn't bump people out of HC cabins once they were booked. Many people on CC bragged about booking a HC room and not needing it. My wife needs on and at times they are all booked by a year out and ablebodies are in them.

Confused! I thought (as per this thread) if you didn't need it ,you would be bumped out of a HA cabin?

If you are not and it's needed, shame on the cruise line!

Confused! I thought (as per this thread) if you didn't need it ,you would be bumped out of a HA cabin?

If you are not and it's needed, shame on the cruise line!

I have heard of able bodied people booking the HA rooms, later getting a call from the cruise line asking them to switch so a HC passenger could have the room, and the able bodied person refusing to move. I know HC passengers have complained about this in the past, saying the cruise lines said, "Hey, we tried, but they refused to move." If the new regulations are followed, I guess that kind of thing won't happen anymore, or maybe the cruise lines have already begun to move in that direction. The original post would seem to confirm that.

You have got to be kidding me :eek: So do you think there should be no HC parking spaces? If you are not HC, stay out of the HC rooms!!! There are hardly any to begin with...if you want a bigger cabin, book a different category.

No, I am not kidding with you. And please enlighten me as to how you made the jump from HA cabins on a cruise ship to HC parking spots in front of Walmart?? Maybe you should get a grip and stick with the facts and stated thoughts instead of jumping off the deep end before you start ranting at others. I have the right to stay in any cabin that any cruise line is willing to sell me, who are you to take that right away? Most cruise lines (there may be some that don't) want their ships to sail full, immaterial of who is in what cabin. They are a business out to make a profit, period. If they only allow handicapped people access to HA rooms then ships would not sail full sometimes. Obviously, since they sell HA rooms to non-HC people, they agree with my philosophy. If you have a problem with that philosophy, then you should take it up with the people that make those rules, the cruise line, not with the consumer who is playing by the established rules, moi.

REALLY???

Like my husband I see in your signature that you are retired Military, would you feel this way if one our heroic soldiers that has given his lower extremities for his country needed the room? I myself would sleep in the closest closet and give them my cabin no matter how early I got up!

To the point of the thread,,,, the OP got an upgrade out of something that they did not pay for so they did pretty good. Yes they booked a cabin they do not qualify for and are disappointed because they wanted to experience that cabin category.. Worse could happen = they could actually need it!

First - What I believe should be law and what I would personally do for someone who I thought deserved it are two different subjects. Secondly - How do you have any earthly idea on the number of body parts I may or may not have left on foreign soil during my 21 years of service or are you just making a poor assumption that I am not disabled based on my position?

No, I am not kidding with you. And please enlighten me as to how you made the jump from HA cabins on a cruise ship to HC parking spots in front of Walmart?? Maybe you should get a grip and stick with the facts and stated thoughts instead of jumping off the deep end before you start ranting at others. I have the right to stay in any cabin that any cruise line is willing to sell me, who are you to take that right away? Most cruise lines (there may be some that don't) want their ships to sail full, immaterial of who is in what cabin. They are a business out to make a profit, period. If they only allow handicapped people access to HA rooms then ships would not sail full sometimes. Obviously, since they sell HA rooms to non-HC people, they agree with my philosophy. If you have a problem with that philosophy, then you should take it up with the people that make those rules, the cruise line, not with the consumer who is playing by the established rules, moi.

HC Cabins and HC parking spaces are made for HC people...not first come first serve. Do you park in an HC parking space, just because no one is already parked in it? I have said that I do not believe Carnival should be booking these rooms to anyone other than those who are HC. I have no issue with those who are assigned that room when booking a guarantee cabin or offering up the cabin close to sail date. I do have a problem with those who are not HC and purposely choose these cabins for the extra space. My mom is in a wheelchair and would not be able to cruise if a HC cabin was not available...if we wait to late and they are all taken by HC passengers then it's our fault, but if it's taken by those who don't need it that is where the problem is.

Archived