Gift for room steward

martymonty

People hate this topic. Do yourself a favor and forget you ever brought it up! I wish I never would have! This can be a rough crowd! My advise is: give what you would appreciate getting if the situation were reversed! Have a wonderful cruise!

Elsewhere it was suggested that a chocolate Santa may be a good gift. However, the consensus is that cash is most favorable.

Perhaps some of those chocolate coins may be a suitable compromise :-)

LOL...my cruise is in January, stock up on the little sacks of gold chocolate coins after christmas and pass those around...hehe.

We sometimes tip them extra in the beginning and I can tell you they appreciate it and are room is ALWAYS stocked with fresh ice. :)

What if you tipped extra in the beginning and they do a poor job? Then what?

I always tip extra at the end of my cruise and my cooler was always filled with ice and most times I didn't even have to ask!

I will leave an origami folded peacock from a dollar bill with the tip.

Also DH will write a letter to Carnival and mention the people by name who were wonderful to us.

A friend of mine at work had this book on how to do this and I thought it would be really cool to learn. My frustration level and lack of patience with my non-crafty hands ended up with a crumbled ball of a dollar bill.

This is as creative as we could get:

Picture2340.jpg

Palm tree? I dunno really. We used fun tack on the mirror and stuck some dollars on for our steward who was phenomenal all week.

We sometimes tip them extra in the beginning and I can tell you they appreciate it and are room is ALWAYS stocked with fresh ice. :)

We never bribe them in advance and our room is ALWAYS stocked with fresh ice. What else do you get for your bribe that we do not get?

DON

We've already paid our room grats up front when we booked, but just wondering if any of you have ever brought a little something to give to your room stewards. We've always had a male steward, is this always the case. Any ideas of what we could bring.

Here we go again :rolleyes:.

Short answer= no. Long answer=search prior posts

AND I tip a few people before hand. I do not the steward. Call it a bribe if one wants (it's not). I get the same service you do, who really cares?

[quote name='donaldsc']Was her name Florence Foster Jenkins? Those lucky people who have heard Florence's recordings will get this message. The vast majority of you who have not heard her recordings have really missed something. Check out this video - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4f77T-LoM[/url]

DON[/QUOTE]

THAT has to be the funniest thing I have heard. I was trying to read the rest of the thread and I was laughing outloud.

Maddle

PS - ETA: Wait a minute - I just looked her up on Wikipedia, and she was SERIOUS! "She was aware of her critics, however, saying 'People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing.'" I apologize to her fans.

Oh - and by the way - back on topic - my vote is for cash.

I'm sorry people are jumping all over you.. I think giving them a present is a really sweet idea! I would probably limited it to something small like no bigger then the size of your hand or no bigger then something that could fit in a purse. My aunt make hand crafted beaded jewelery and she has brought a few of these with her to give to some of the crew who are women.. Or you could make a hand make book mark.and have it laminated. gift cards or phone cards. Of course Money will probably help them the most but I think gifts are a sweet cute idea! you should feel good about yourself!

[quote name='martymonty']We've already paid our room grats up front when we booked, but just wondering if any of you have ever brought a little something to give to your room stewards. We've always had a male steward, is this always the case. Any ideas of what we could bring.[/quote]
Just give additional $$$$ they do not have room in their cabin for trinkets or souveniers and what you may think is a nice gesture of a gift may not be. CASH is King (along with a thank you card or note) and will get a better smile .

[quote name='Maddle']THAT has to be the funniest thing I have heard. I was trying to read the rest of the thread and I was laughing outloud.

Maddle

PS - ETA: Wait a minute - I just looked her up on Wikipedia, and she was SERIOUS! "She was aware of her critics, however, saying 'People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing.'" I apologize to her fans.

Oh - and by the way - back on topic - my vote is for cash.[/quote]

You beat me to it. If laughter is the best medicine I think I just overdosed! I'm downloading this to my phone, it's a keeper.:p

Thanks [B]donaldsc[/B]

Now, I did tip with cash, but I think I left a bag of Doritos in the room.:rolleyes:

[QUOTE]
you should feel good about yourself!
[/QUOTE]

If making yourself feel good is the goal, then by all means, give the steward a useless gift.:rolleyes: If showing your appreciation to a steward for doing a great job is the goal, then give them what they want. Money.

I think it's a pity that so many people on this board are obviously trying to achieve the first goal.

[quote name='imnance']If making yourself feel good is the goal, then by all means, give the steward a useless gift.:rolleyes: If showing your appreciation to a steward for doing a great job is the goal, then give them what they want. Money.

I think it's a pity that so many people on this board are obviously trying to achieve the first goal.[/quote]
agree 100%

[quote name='dstone']We are sailing the week before Christmas so i thought a card and a chocolate santa with a little cash would be nice.[/QUOTE]

Just what an Athiest, a Muslum, or a Buddhist would want,, a Christian momento :eek:

Archived