Freerider Luggie Travel Scooter

patosea

Paul and Kathy and Agent 86, thank you for the information. Can you tell me what the ground clearance measurement is? It is aggravating to ground out. Sure would be nice if the ships would lenghten the ramp to prevent that.

Agent 86, can you tell me what the new regulations say about flying with Lithium batteries? Do they need to be removed from the scooter? Why is a lithium battery considered riskier than a standard sealed lead acid battery on air flights?

I know why the lithium batteries are considered more dangerous, when exposed to heat they can begin to burn. It would not be a problem in the temperature controlled cabin but in the hold they could get too hot if you were on the ground for an extended period of time. Also they could not be seen if in the hold. I leave next week to fly to Europe and pray I won't have any problems with boarding with scooter/batteries. I can't imagine trying to do a land tour and then cruise without my travelscoot. Just one more thing to worry about as I pack.

I leave next week to fly to Europe and pray I won't have any problems with boarding with scooter/batteries. I can't imagine trying to do a land tour and then cruise without my travelscoot. Just one more thing to worry about as I pack.

can you tell me what the new regulations say about flying with Lithium batteries? Do they need to be removed from the scooter? Why is a lithium battery considered riskier than a standard sealed lead acid battery on air flights?

Here are the new regulations:

e-CFR Data is current as of February 2, 2011

DATES: Effective date: January 19, 2011. Voluntary compliance date: PHMSA is authorizing voluntary compliance beginning January 1, 2011. Delayed compliance date:

Compliance with the amendments adopted in this final rule is required beginning January 1, 2012. Incorporation by reference date: The incorporation by reference of certain

publications listed in this rule is approved by the Director of the Federal Register as of

January 19, 2011.

Title 49: Transportation

Browse Previous

|
Browse Next

PART 175—CARRIAGE BY AIRCRAFT

§ 175.10 Exceptions for passengers, crewmembers, and air operators.

(i) A wheelchair or other mobility aid equipped with a lithium ion battery, when carried as checked baggage, provided—

(A) The lithium ion battery must be of a type that successfully passed each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria as

specified in §173.185 of this subchapter, unless approved by the Associate Administrator;

(B) Visual inspection including removal of the battery, where necessary, reveals no obvious defects (removal of the battery from

the housing should be performed by qualified airline personnel only);

© Battery terminals must be protected from short circuits (

e.g.,
by being enclosed within a battery container that is securely

attached to the mobility aid);

(D) The pilot-in-command is advised, either orally or in writing, prior to departure, as to the location of the wheelchair or mobility

aid aboard the aircraft; and

(E) The wheelchair or mobility aid is loaded, stowed, secured and unloaded in an upright position and in a manner that prevents

unintentional activation and protects it from damage.

(F) A lithium metal battery is forbidden aboard a passenger-carrying aircraft.

(ii) A wheelchair or other mobility aid when carried as checked or carry-on baggage, provided—

(A) The wheelchair or other mobility aid is designed and constructed in a manner to allow for stowage in either a cargo

compartment or in the passenger cabin;

(B) The lithium ion battery is removed; and

© The lithium ion battery and any spare batteries are carried in the same manner as spare batteries in paragraph (a)(18) of this

section.

(18) Except as provided in §173.21 of this subchapter, portable electronic devices (for example, watches, calculating machines,

cameras, cellular phones, lap-top and notebook computers, camcorders, etc.) containing cells or batteries (including lithium cells

or batteries) and spare batteries and cells for these devices, when carried by passengers or crew members for personal use.

Each spare battery must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits (by placement in original retail packaging or by

otherwise insulating terminals,

e.g.
, by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or

(ii) For a lithium-ion battery, an aggregate equivalent lithium content of not more than 8 grams per battery, except that up to two
batteries with an aggregate equivalent lithium content of more than 8 grams but not more than 25 grams may be carried.
protective pouch) and carried in carry-on baggage only. In addition, each installed or spare battery must not exceed the following:

(i) For a lithium metal battery, a lithium content of not more than 2 grams per battery; or

A link to this information is provided on the Travelscoot website at the bottom of the section "about batteries".

Hope this helps. We'll be printing it out and keeping it with us...just in case.

Marlee

We must remember that the regulations listed above allow the airlines to make the exceptions relating to Lithium ion powered mobility scooters. What rules the airline makes up for its own passengers may be more restrictive but not less restrictive. That is why Delta gets away with banning Li-ion scooters completely. If you try to show someone the regulations while at the airport they will likely look at you like you're from the moon. They get their policies from someone in Head Office that deals with Hazardous Goods and have little(no) power to change policies.

To solve Delta's stupidity I have a lite SLA battery (7lbs) that I use in the area around the gate and to the airplane door. I take my perfectly legal 'spare battery' (my lithium ion battery) in my carry-on. When I go through security I leave both on the scooter and tell them one is a spare.

My SLA lite also works as a spare of course in case anything happens to my Li-ion or I run it out.

Lithium ion batteries are more dangerous not only because of overheating but if they short out and catch fire it is very difficult to put the fire out. A cargo plane crashed in Dubai allegedly because of a chain reaction fire caused by Lithium batteries. It should be noted that these were non-rechargeable 'Lithium Metal' batteries shipped in bulk but it heightened the airlines sensitivity to Lithium batteries of any type.

Our scooter batteries are safe as long as they are disconnected and it's a good idea to put some tape or something over the connector to prevent short circuits.

Again, sometimes we need to round some corners to get our batteries on the plane but we should all make sure that we follow the safety regulations as we do so.

I'm sorry but I don't own a Luggy so I can't help with clearance.

I recommend the following to limit the potential for a problem at the airport with your Lithium Ion battery (eg Travelscoot):

1. Call the airline you are travelling on (don't tell them you have a reservation or they may put a note on it to watch for you) and ask them what their policy is regarding Lithium Ion batteries and mobility scooters. A Travelscoot Lithium Ion battery should not be carried in the hold in any aircraft. If the airline says it must go in the hold, tell them it can't stay attached to the scooter because the scooter folds and that it fits the definition of a 'Larger Spare lithium ion battery' (8 to 25 gms lithium content) and per the DOT belongs in Cabin luggage only.

If they accept that get their name or their internal reference article name in case you need it at the airport.

If the airline says no to both the above you will either need an SLA battery to give them with your scooter to keep them happy (while your Li-Ion goes in your carryon) or you will need to tell them it is a 'dry' cell battery (not proper full disclosure). If you take the simpler dry cell route you then must take the battery off the scooter and take it in the cabin to be keeping within the safety regulations. We owe it to our fellow passengers to not only get the battery on the plane but to keep it safely aboard.

Again, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

After some airline "travails" with cancellations and delays we are finally home after 22 days in Europe. The one thing that was no problem was the travelscoot. The batteries were not an issue at all. We declared them as lithium-ion at check in for each flight and also said they were going in the cabin. The airline personnel just smiled. The security was just a tad more difficult as they had to be x-rayed, visually inspected and wiped down for possible explosive residue. DH stayed with the batteries as I was patted etc. and he was finished before I was. The batteries were easy thank goodness.

Mike, thank you for the information. Unfortunately, it does not appear that I would be able to maintain much independence with it. My hands are extremely weak and this scooter needs a lot of finger dexterity to fold, unfold, adjust tiller height, put in freewheel mode...I would have to depend on others for all of that. I would apparently also have to stand on my head to charge the batteries. Squeeze latches are next to impossible for me. Ring devices are more manageable because cords can be attached for extra leverage.

I have not been able to determine if there is a battery life indicator and it appears to have no key, therefor no ignition lock. Batteries appear to be exposed, so would worry about being out in wet weather. When on vacation you do not always have the option of staying indoors. Also do not see a means for carrying crutches on scooter.

This has been a scooter of interest, but not one to purchase unless I was able to test it in person.

Katisdale, it is good to hear that you had no problems with Lithium batteries on airline. Thank you for explaining to me about the whys of the special handling of them. Hope you had a wonderful trip and welcome home!

• 5 months later...
One caveat. The cruise lines will not let you bring aboard any scooter or power W/C that is not an FDA approved medical device. Before plunking down $2.6K, I would be absolutely certain that this meets that criteria, or you just have a very nice looking electronic boat anchor.

The Luggie is an FDA approved medical device - listed as K110165. It can go as checked baggage or in the cabin in wheelchair space. In fact it folds into less space than a collaspable wheelchair.

They are also on sale for $600 off.

Gary

Our original Luggie was broken by Aegean Airlines in June after they insisted it has to go on the luggage carousel and would not let DH take it to the gate. Anyway we claimed, they paid for a replacement and the new one has a sticker on the battery confirming that it complies with DOT regs.

• 1 year later...

Hi all! My name is Howie and I'm new to this trying to figure it all out. I am a proud owner of a Luggie Scooter since 09/2012. It's great to have the option of being independant.

I'm about to find out how difficult it is to use the scooter in Zurich Switzerland. I'm also using it on a Costa Favolosa cruise in May 2013. The Swiss part of the stay is on a Cosmos Tour of Switzerland. The scooter was preapproved by airline tour company and cruise company.

We will see. Naturally, I'll let everyone know what happened.

Happy Cruising!hkammet@bellsouth.net

• 3 months later...

ruth- i thought i recognized you. this lithium battery business is getting me crazy! it sounds great because it's lighter, but more importantly because it travels so much further. i think i'll wait, though, until the dust settles & the airlines get used to them so i don't have to worry about getting to the airport only to be turned away because even they find the lithium battery details confusing.

I just recently returned from an Alaska cruise with my TravelScoot. Since it only weighs 35 pounds I could lift it a bit sideways and get it in a regular size cabin door, no handicapped cabin needed. When ramps on and off the ship were particularly steep, Princess crew members either carried it up or down with me walking or kept me on it and pushed me up or held me back. It has given me my freedom back. In fact, I'm going back for Alaska for two more weeks to run it around the ports even more. Here are a few pictures of where it has been: http://debzpicaday.blogspot.com/2013/06/day-826.html

If you're even considering a travel scooter, it's a must have. Best money I ever spent.

The Travelscoot is not made for rough terrain. It can handle ramps but if you are on the hefty side (like me) you need to get a good running up spped on the approach to the ramp but I don't think it would do well on hilly terarain.

I have to respectfully disagree. I just returned from a 6 day Italy land tour and 12 day Greek Isle tour and weigh in the hefty category. I took it up to the Acropolis in Athens and toured Ephesus in Turkey. It was difficult in Turkey but doable.

The one thing I haven't heard mention is the fact that the Luggie I've looked at weigh about 60 lbs with battery. The Travel Scoot only weighs 35 lbs with battery (Lithium Ion). Most cruise lines only will transfer scooters if weight is less than 50 lbs. (for tenders) which was an original question for OP.

I have to respectfully disagree. I just returned from a 6 day Italy land tour and 12 day Greek Isle tour and weigh in the hefty category. I took it up to the Acropolis in Athens and toured Ephesus in Turkey. It was difficult in Turkey but doable.

That's GREAT to know and glad it worked for you. When I've pushed a steep grade I get the yellow caution light so I try and take it easy as I don't what to overheat the battery.(li-on) I know it has the built-in breaker but if you trip it you need to let it cool down and have someone help you do a jump start....happened to me one time.

That's GREAT to know and glad it worked for you. When I've pushed a steep grade I get the yellow caution light so I try and take it easy as I don't what to overheat the battery.(li-on) I know it has the built-in breaker but if you trip it you need to let it cool down and have someone help you do a jump start....happened to me one time.

Actually it did happen to me, in Corfu I took an excursion that included the monastery, it sits on a hill with a steep path, made that fine but since I couldn't actually enter the monastery because of steps I travels further up the hill to see what was there. It did die but since it was all down hill I just coasted and by the time I got to the bus the battery was functional again. Never got an amber light, in fact I don't get the amber light except when its time to think about changing the battery. I get the amber light when it is about 50% and I'm straining the motor.

I was watching the shopping channel. QVC and they had The Luggie on 5 payments. Excellent demonstration and a video on their website too. Looks great for flat surfaces and needed mobility convenience. Vicki

Again take into consideration that in tender ports because the Luggie is almost 60 lbs the crew may not take it into the boat. Some cruiselines have a 50 lbs limit.

Hi, My name is Howie and I noticed your discussion about the Luggy. I own one since 09/2012.. I just wanted to comment about purchasing from a shopping club like those on TV. If you need repair you may end up having to ship the scooter to the distributor in California. I'm speaking from my own experience. They are reliable and try to help out when they can.

Good Luck!

ruth- i thought i recognized you. this lithium battery business is getting me crazy! it sounds great because it's lighter, but more importantly because it travels so much further. i think i'll wait, though, until the dust settles & the airlines get used to them so i don't have to worry about getting to the airport only to be turned away because even they find the lithium battery details confusing.

Marilyn, I found Drive Medical Phoenix 3 scooter. It is designed to easily stack an extra battery box on top of the operational batteries. It gives me so much peace of mind when out sightseeing and switching them is so simple for anyone who can lift 20#. It has proved to be quite rugged and a true workhorse! Glad to see you are still traveling.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all-

I owned a Luggie for 14 months this past year, was not happy with it and finally sold it about 4 weeks ago. :(

I walk with a walker or cane and cannot walk or stand for long periods of time. My husband has medical issues so cannot help me very much with transporting the Luggie... I pretty much have to do it on my own.

Problems were: 1) Weight - too heavy. Putting it in the rear of a SUV is not easy. I could not do it myself even by pivoting it on one end and then lifting it in. Fortunately, a friend was usually with me and she would take it out and put it back in but it was even heavy for her to do.

2)Comfort- Not comfortable riding for longer periods of time (at least for me). I am only 5'5", so not tall. The sitting position you start off in is what you have to stay in the whole ride - no room to move your legs or feet - they stay in the same spot on either side of the center column. The flooring base has a somewhat narrow width so when riding you almost feel like the sides of you are 'hanging off the edges'- It also felt like my legs were 'jammed' onto the small/narrow space allotted for them with no 'wiggle' room. It was ok for short jaunts but for a longer stint it was very uncomfortable. Cramped-feeling ride. Not pleasant.

Riding the scooters with their front baskets at the supermarket or Lowes was much more comfortable and a better ride.

3) Selling it was a big problem- there are MANY out there as re-sales.

Advertised in classifieds and in our subdivision and did not get one call for two months. Then one man came, told me what others were selling for which was a shock. At first, decided I was not 'giving it away' but in the end, I did sell it to him as did not ever get a second call from anyone.

Wish I could have given a better review as I was so excited to get it in the beginning but using it was not easy and now I'm trying to find something that will be easier for me. Good luck to all.

I have a TravelScoot, a power chair (jazzy), joey lift, and a ultra-light-carbon-fiber-cane.

Here is the joey http://bruno.com/vehicle-lift-joey.html

Here is the TravelScoot http://travelscoot.com/

Here is my Jazzy http://www.pridemobility.com/jazzy/

Here is my cane http://www.elderluxe.com/mobility/cane-and-walking-stick-showroom/ultra-light-carbon-fiber-canes/

I use my cane for short walks like from the car into a restaurant.

I use the jazzy when I will be riding in tight conditions,

like the grocery store or Wal-Mart and transport is not a problem.

I use the TravelScoot when transport is a problem and I will not be in tight driving locations.

Like sight seeing, amusement parks, etc. my wife also has a TravelScoot.

We can get both TravelScoots on the Joey lift.

The TravelScoots plus cane are great for cruising.

I am very happy with this selection of mobility devices that allows me flexibility to match each situation.

If I did not have the Jazzy and did have a SUV or minivan, then I would have

a Curb-Sider http://bruno.com/vehicle-lift-curb-sider.html

When I loose more mobility I will add Bruno Valet® Signature Seating.

http://bruno.com/valet-signature-seating-all-models.html

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Reply from ZBT 1970,

Hi this is Howie again,

I'm sorry you had problems using the Luggie. I'm 5'9" and have no cramped up feeling when I use the scooter. Did you raise the seat to it's max height? There are two positions. I have MD and can't stand very much either. My wife however is able to help me get it into our SUV or trunk of a car. I looked at the travel scoot but I didn't like that I had to push myself back. No reverse with the motor.

I know that there are no other scooers available today lighter than the Luggie and the Travel Scoot.

Good luck!

I know that there are no other scooers available today lighter than the Luggie and the Travel Scoot.

Good luck!

Though the Travelscoot and the Luggie are the lightest scooters, Pride Mobility has a series of GoGo scooters that are easy to disassemble and can fit in a trunk of the car.

Have MS and personally own/use the Pride GoGo Elite Traveler. I can sit on the back of my Honda CR-V to load and unload the scooter.

View this link to see how it easily disassembles

Important to note that I have NO affiliation with nor am I endorsing the company/website featured on the video. The video is solely meant to demonstrate how the Pride GoGo Scooter easily disassembles.

Archived