rum from the gift shop

grams98

if we buy rum at the gift shop, can we use it during the cruise, or would we have to wait til the end of the cruise thanks grams98

You pay for it right away (well, charge it to your room) and they hold the bottle until the last night. On the last night you bring your receipt back and they'll give you the purchase.

So, no you don't get to enjoy it during the cruise.

You can purchase a bar setup (Bottle of Liquor) from NCL's Bon Voyage department prior to sailing which will be in your stateroom upon embarkation. One thing to note, it is more expensive than buying the bottle in the Duty Free Shop or in port, but if you only drink one drink, this may work for you.

For example, I drink alot of rum and cokes, so I get the soda card and a bottle of rum and I mix myself and it ends up being cheaper than buying a rum and coke from the bar.

The bar setup worked great for me. Bought 1 liter Absolut for $83. Brought Wylers raspberry packets. Kept lime slices in the fridge. Brought my mini blender. It was awesome! Got at meat 40 drinks out of it... Left 1/3 bottle for the butler.

if we buy rum at the gift shop, can we use it during the cruise, or would we have to wait til the end of the cruise thanks grams98

There was a time (many years ago) when we could just go to the duty free shops, buy booze and take it to our cabin. Those days have been gone for several years. Now, you have to wait until the night before the end of the cruise.

Nita

you are too smart. What a good idea.

Nita

I can't take credit for the idea. I first read about doing that in one of the threads here on the NCL board earlier this year. So we did it on our b2b2b cruises this past Sept/Oct.

If you are on back-to-back cruises, buy the liquor during your first cruise, pick it up on the last night of that cruise, and you'll have it for the second cruise.

Shhhhh!! This is likely better not talked about or NCL will soon put the brakes on this one too.;)

I just looked in the Bon Voyage section of the Norwegian website and didn't find anything about the "bar setup". Am I looking in the wrong place? Or what is it listed under?:confused:

The bar set-up is not listed anywhere. But if you email groupeventship@ncl.com (insert the name of your ship for the word ship) and ask for prices as for what you want, you'll get an email back with the prices and info for giving your credit card number. It will be billed instantly to your credit card, no put on your shipboard account.

Here's an idea of prices per liter: rum $63; whiskey $83.

• 1 month later...
If you are on back-to-back cruises, buy the liquor during your first cruise, pick it up on the last night of that cruise, and you'll have it for the second cruise.

If you go on a back to back and it is sold as one cruise the cruise card would give your final disembarkation date. Could you expect the booze back after the first leg, or does it depend on how observant the teller is?

Anyone have any price lists for booze in the Duty Free? We will be cruising out of NYC in Feb and this is the 1st time it will actually be worth while to get duty free booze as we don't have to fly home. If the prices are good I'll stock up. Also anyone know the customs limits?

Thanks

If you go on a back to back and it is sold as one cruise the cruise card would give your final disembarkation date. Could you expect the booze back after the first leg, or does it depend on how observant the teller is?

When you pick up the liquor you give them your receipt. They never even looked at our shipboard card, just at the receipt. They're processing too many people to really care about the dates on the shipboard cards even if they did check it for name.

On the two NCL B2B cruises we have taken we got our alcohol purchases the night before the first cruise ended and were able to use them in our cabin on the second leg both times! (We booked one time as two separate cruises and the other as one long one. I can attest that the gift shop folks never bothered to read what it said on our room key card either time when we picked up our purchases that last afternoon.)

we were on 2 weeks ...SUN and purchased RUM the first week and got it the end of the first week to CONSUME the second week:D

Archived