Snorkeling at Noche Beach

Amy S.

We will be arriving in Cozumel on the Century on Sat. Nov. 20 for most of the day. I've been reading about the different beaches and so far Nachi sounds like what we are looking for. A beautiful relaxing beach with lounge chairs, without too many little ones running around and a place we can eat and drink during the day without worrying about cost. The only thing I can't figure out is we really want the opportunity to snorkel right off the beach - has anyone done this before?

Are there any other recommendations for beaches? Paradise just looks too crowded for us, and there was another one that looked like the beach wasn't right there. I also looked at Passion Island but read it was a very long trip out compared to the actual time spent there. Has anyone done this island?

Thanks so much for all advice!

Amy

Edited by Amy S.
Misspelling

We were told that the walk out beach at Nachi isn't clear enough to get a good snorkeling experience (we also didn't have our own gear). They did however offer as an add on a ride out 500 yards or so to the reef where they said the snorkeling is great (and provided equipment). We decided not to do it so I can't speak to the quality but the bottom line is there is snorkeling right there for some extra $.

I also looked at Passion Island but read it was a very long trip out compared to the actual time spent there. Has anyone done this island?

Thanks so much for all advice!

Amy

We booked the catermeran to Passion Island through RC.

How LONG does it take to get there?!?!? :confused:

• 3 years later...

The snorkeling at Nochi was fun and so much better than Key West (day after a storm). We had a great time say some conches, barracudas, sea turtles p, lobsters and a ray. We had three reef stops. Would I do it again, yes. Although you loose time on the beach relaxing if you are on a cruise ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The snorkeling at Nochi was fun and so much better than Key West (day after a storm). We had a great time say some conches, barracudas, sea turtles p, lobsters and a ray. We had three reef stops. Would I do it again, yes. Although you loose time on the beach relaxing if you are on a cruise ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What was the boat ladder like? I have bad knees and need a good sturdy ladder that goes into the water by quite a bit and also good hand rails. We already have reservations here for May.

Snorkeling off the beach at Nachi Cocom will be poor :( unless you swim WAY OUT -- with lot of white sand there is nowhere for the little fish and other wildlife to live/breed/hide.

The snorkel excursion from Nachi, for about $35 per person, is supposed to be great (opinion on this board and from a couple sitting next to us a year or so ago); small boat, stops at multiple reefs, and you are back to the free drinks in about 90-120 minutes.