Princess VS RCCL for Alaska

renae83

Hello i'm hoping someone can help me. My husband and I are looking to take a cruise to Alaska in 2012. We have 4 children that will NOT be coming with us on this cruise. We have only cruised with RCCL but from what I hear Princess is a better choice for ALaska. If anyone has been on both lines could you please give me your oppinions on the diffrences what you like more or least about both.

We are looking for just a very relaxing cruise. I want to get a balcony so I can sit outside and take in all the views. I'm not even sure if we are going to do formal nights.

When do you think the best time of year to go is? What ship do your suggest? Which ittenerary is best for views? Any other information will be very appreciated!!

Thank you all so much for all your help!!

I haven't been on RCCL to Alaska, but I can tell you, Princess has been there a long time, and as such they do an outstanding job. My personal recommendation (if your children aren't an issue) is go in late May before a lot of kids are out of school.

We did the Island Princess leaving on Memorial Day last year north bound. The daylight was longer as we cruised north and the weather overall was pretty good. The ship is smaller as far as number of passengers, but still has lots to do.

The trip from Vancouver to Whittier is great. Princess has a naturalist on board while you cruise Glacier Bay. We saw lots of wildlife. Just a GREAT trip.

If you're taking a round trip cruise, either cruise line would be fine. But, if you're doing a one way trip, and plan on doing a land excursion in Alaska, Princess is a much better choice. They have their own rail cars to go to Denali. Plus, they have resorts you can stay at.

Princess and Holland America are the two lines with a long history in Alaska. Both have their own lodges and rail cars if you are doing a cruise tour. Holland America will have a lot of Pacific Northwestern cuisine on their menus.

I dont know that there would be a huge difference between lines if you are not doing a cruise tour.

Glacier Bay is an absolute must-see, IMO. Only a limited number of ships are allowed into Glacier Bay, and Princess and HAL get most of the permits, because they've been in Alaska the longest.

Round trip itineraries from Seattle do not make it far enough north for Glacier Bay, which automatically rules them out for me. Ideally, look for an itinerary that visits both Glacier Bay & Hubbard Glacier (Yakutat Bay). Princess has a southbound itenerary that does both. We did that one this summer, along with a land tour, and it was amazing.

Two key items:

1> Not all lines go into Glacier Bay (I would have to check itineraries), this is a must do, as far in as possible.

2> If you are considering a cruisetour (and I certainly WOULD consider it), Princess wins hands down.

I don't think there's a Princess ship that's better in Alaska than others, I would base it on itinerary and the amenities that interest you. We love the space ratio of the Panamax class, so Coral would be our first choice for a repeat visit..

Hello i'm hoping someone can help me. My husband and I are looking to take a cruise to Alaska in 2012. We have 4 children that will NOT be coming with us on this cruise. We have only cruised with RCCL but from what I hear Princess is a better choice for ALaska. If anyone has been on both lines could you please give me your oppinions on the diffrences what you like more or least about both.

We are looking for just a very relaxing cruise. I want to get a balcony so I can sit outside and take in all the views. I'm not even sure if we are going to do formal nights.

When do you think the best time of year to go is? What ship do your suggest? Which ittenerary is best for views? Any other information will be very appreciated!!

Thank you all so much for all your help!!

We're planning an (anniversary) Alaska cruise in 2012, too! I have been doing some research & so far I think this is the route we may go (provided the 2012 schedules remain similar to what they are now):

Cruising Coral Princess (or its sister, Island)

Going in early to mid June

Definite balcony

Taking the 7-day Southbound from Anchorage (Whittier) to Vancouver, which includes Glacier Bay & Hubbard Glacier

Ports are Skagway, Juneau, & Ketchikan

Not sure about a land tour yet. We are excited for our first cruise on Princess. We've only sailed Carnival and have had several wonderful cruises with them so far. Don't hurt me, both Carnival & Princess have the same parents. :)

Best advice... just keep researching & researching! There's also alot of good info on the Ports of Call section here on CC.

I'm between the same thing. I am leaning towards Princess, because of the Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay, but it is more expensive, not a ton, but enough to go on an excursion with. I hear Princess does great land tours, but that we decided not to do one for our honeymoon. Maybe next trip

we're sailing on the Golden Princess in sept. 2011, it does do Glacier bay and is round trip from Seattle. We did RCCL 5 years ago and enjoyed it, but I just checked the itenerary for them and there is no glacier stops while sailing. We did have one in 2005. It was spectacular and I wouldn't want to miss it. We chose princess this time because of friends, but I'm glad we did because the itenerary does include glacier bay. This will be our first princess cruise and we've done 21 RCCL cruises. Honestly, I'm not sure whether we would have even looked if it wasn't for our friends. I've been reading the boards for a few days since booking and i really do not think I'll regret the decision.

I just booked today on the Coral Princess for a Cruisetour on June 20, 2011. We did the Southbound on the Celebrity Summit in 2002 but this time we wanted to do the interior also. From my research on this Board and from other sources I determined that either Princess or HAL were the best. We wanted to maximize the nature side so we opted for the Princess offerings as HAL included Fairbanks in all its land tours.

We did get into Glacier Bay with Celebrity, but I think you want to go with either Princess or HAL. After that, it's just a matter or cost or the better itinerary for you.

Let's see. Our next trip to Alaska, all on Princess, will be our 5th. Not even remotely close to a record and this will not be our last. Check the Alaska board for some real pros.

But if I could arrange our 1st Alaska cruise all over again this is what we would do:

Day 1 Anchorage just look around, ride the trolly maybe a local tour. Afternoon of day 1 Alaska RR to Seward. This train ride is rated by AAA to be one of the most scenic train rides in the world. Overnight in Seward.

Day 2. 6 hr tour of Kenai Fjords Nat Park an absolute must see in Alaska. Overnight in Seward Feasting on Halibut.

Day 3. Taxi to Whittier to catch the Island or Coral Princess to sail through College Fjord and Glacier ending in Vancouver.

For 10 or 11 days it won't get much better than this.

Have fun Alaska is very addictive.

Princess and Holland America are the two lines with a long history in Alaska. Both have their own lodges and rail cars if you are doing a cruise tour. Holland America will have a lot of Pacific Northwestern cuisine on their menus.
When it comes to Alaska, it's not just a comparison of ship/cruiseline preferences because Princess and HAL have permission to sail places that other cruiselines cannot. Alaskan waters are strictly regulated and only a few ships are allowed to sail into the more spectacular areas. You may have a great cruise on RCCL but if seeing Alaska is your goal and purpose for cruising, there's no comparison between Princess and RCCL because RCCL does not have permission and cannot sail similar or equal itineraries. I know this is a Princess board and one would expect people to say that Princess is better, but this is fact.

I haven't been on RCCL to Alaska, but I can tell you, Princess has been there a long time, and as such they do an outstanding job. My personal recommendation (if your children aren't an issue) is go in late May before a lot of kids are out of school.

We did the Island Princess leaving on Memorial Day last year north bound. The daylight was longer as we cruised north and the weather overall was pretty good. The ship is smaller as far as number of passengers, but still has lots to do.

The trip from Vancouver to Whittier is great. Princess has a naturalist on board while you cruise Glacier Bay. We saw lots of wildlife. Just a GREAT trip.

How cold was it? I agree, I would rather go when less children are on board, but don't want to have to wear heavy jackets on board.

slowpoke58

If you're taking a round trip cruise, either cruise line would be fine. But, if you're doing a one way trip, and plan on doing a land excursion in Alaska, Princess is a much better choice. They have their own rail cars to go to Denali. Plus, they have resorts you can stay at.

Are the meals included on Princess Cruise/land tour in the lodges?

slowpoke58

Two key items:

1> Not all lines go into Glacier Bay (I would have to check itineraries), this is a must do, as far in as possible.

2> If you are considering a cruisetour (and I certainly WOULD consider it), Princess wins hands down.

I don't think there's a Princess ship that's better in Alaska than others, I would base it on itinerary and the amenities that interest you. We love the space ratio of the Panamax class, so Coral would be our first choice for a repeat visit..

We haven't been to Alaska yet, but also plan to go in the near future, but we did go on the Coral Princess on the Panama Canal trip and the Coral Princess is a great ship.

slowpoke58

I have 5 cruises on RCI and 10 (soon to be 11) on Princess. No question both a good lines, but Princess is by far the best when it comes to Alaska. We have done a land/sea (14 day) and sea only (7 day) with Princess and wonderful trips they were.

Princess owns their own lodges unlike RCI and have twice as many shore excursions, plus more ships and choices then RCI does in Alaska.

No question at all, Princess is the best for Alaska!

we're sailing on the Golden Princess in sept. 2011, it does do Glacier bay and is round trip from Seattle. We did RCCL 5 years ago and enjoyed it, but I just checked the itenerary for them and there is no glacier stops while sailing. We did have one in 2005. It was spectacular and I wouldn't want to miss it. We chose princess this time because of friends, but I'm glad we did because the itenerary does include glacier bay. This will be our first princess cruise and we've done 21 RCCL cruises. Honestly, I'm not sure whether we would have even looked if it wasn't for our friends. I've been reading the boards for a few days since booking and i really do not think I'll regret the decision.

I think Princess lines is better than RCCL, we have been on a few RCCL cruises and have not switched to Princess. My DH and I think that Princess is a better in the food department and the entertainment. There was a lot more to do on Princess than RCCL.

slowpoke58

Are the meals included on Princess Cruise/land tour in the lodges?
No. Meals are not included, even breakfast. Food is relatively expensive in Alaska and the lodges do not have restaurants or other options within walking distance so there are only the lodge facilities. They offer some less-expensive options, but dining in Alaska will take a chunk out of your budget. I think one lodge is near others and restaurants but the others are not. Can't remember which one. I had a banana, muffin and coffee for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and splurged on dinner. For just me, that came to over $60/day.

No. Meals are not included, even breakfast. Food is relatively expensive in Alaska and the lodges do not have restaurants or other options within walking distance so there are only the lodge facilities. They offer some less-expensive options, but dining in Alaska will take a chunk out of your budget. I think one lodge is near others and restaurants but the others are not. Can't remember which one. I had a banana, muffin and coffee for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and splurged on dinner. For just me, that came to over $60/day.

Hi Pam I must be misreading your post but Princess lodges have restaurants in them.:confused:

Hi Pam I must be misreading your post but Princess lodges have restaurants in them.:confused:
Yes, they do. But for most lodges, those are your only options. There are no other facilities within walking distance so you can avoid the lodge prices.

Archived