Florence/Pisa recommendations- Rome in Limo

Emma1

The one thread for Rome in Limo is sooooo long - and I have a specific question just on Florence /Pisa. We are taking a med cruise that stops in La Spezia - my family's first trip here (husband and kids - 12,15,14). Booked with Rome in Limo. We plan to climb the tower in Pisa and head to Florence. I really debated on going to FLorence as it seems so far but they have never been. Does it make sense to go or should I do Lucca with them instead? What is the exact car time in-between places and do you recommend certain stops based on your experience with this excursion. My girls like to shop so thought of going to the leather school by one of the churches. Plan to do a quick lunch only. I was told to get the Pisa tower tickets for 9:30 am - we are picked up at 8 am. Any comments for other tickets that are needed ahead of time (Ufizzi, etc)?

I wouldn't do it. You're looking at about six hours of driving time, which is probably more than half of your entire port day, spent in the car. Even with someone else driving, is this really how you want to spend your time?

Leave Florence for another trip, and enjoy Pisa and Lucca, or spend your morning in Pisa and the afternoon in one of the towns in the Cinque Terre, an easy train ride or drive from La Spezia.

I wouldn't do it. You're looking at about six hours of driving time, which is probably more than half of your entire port day, spent in the car. Even with someone else driving, is this really how you want to spend your time?

Leave Florence for another trip, and enjoy Pisa and Lucca, or spend your morning in Pisa and the afternoon in one of the towns in the Cinque Terre, an easy train ride or drive from La Spezia.

I am not agree with you, don't miss Florence

Feel free to disagree, but the OP specifically asked about adding either Florence or Lucca on after a visit to Pisa. As a secondary stop from La Spezia, it's not a good idea.

If Florence was the only goal, you'd still be driving two hours each way, assuming no traffic issues. I drove back and forth on the A11, the autostrada between Florence and Lucca, several times the week before last and the traffic was significant ... in October, not the high season. The road between Lucca and La Spezia was not an issue in terms of traffic, but that would be a very different story in the summer (the OP did not state the time of year for their cruise).

A professional firm like RIL is going to pad the return time to be sure you make it back in plenty of time, so your port day time will be further reduced.

The comments above are definitely making me reconsider going to Florence as I was nervous already. This excursion will be in mid July and on my son's 12th birthday. I think climbing the tower at Pisa is a given BUT what else should we do? Please - all ideas are welcome. I think Lucca sounds more doable. Do we also go to a seaside town - I am unfamilar with this area. Are there maybe interesting factories in the area (marble, pottery, olives) - I honestly don't know and am guessing here.

Emma, I'd really advise Cinque Terre, especially with a young family. It will be hot-hot-hot in July, so why not be at the sea? You can take one of the easier walks, for example, from Manarola to Riomaggiore. It's easy to get around the area on your own from La Spezia by either boat or train.

Lucca is lovely as an alternative, but I suspect less interesting for your kids.

Can you hire RIL for just the morning, rather than all day? If so, use them to get you to Pisa and back, then do your own thing in the afternoon.

Here are some resources on CT:

National park web site: http://www.parco****onale5terre.it/?id_lingue=2

Local tourism web site: http://www.cinqueterre.it/info.php

Via dell'Amore: http://www.cinqueterre.it/sentieri.php?cat=48189a063164f

Let's walk through the possibilities.

Pick up in La Spezia at 8:00.

Arrive in Pisa at 9:00. See the Piazza area, climb the tower at 9:30.

Depart Pisa 10:00 for Florence, arrive Florence 11:30 - 12:00.

Walking tour of Florence, possibly see Michelangelo's David at the Accademia (reservations absolutely required in the summer).

Depart Florence at 3:30 (RIL will want to build in pad, and will want to get out of town before the traffic gets too bad).

So, best case is four hours in Florence.

If you substitute Lucca instead of Florence, you'd arrive in Lucca at around 10:30 or 11:00, and not need to leave until 4:00 or 4:30. You could also spend more time in Pisa and leave for Lucca to arrive around lunchtime.

Every stop in Italy is a challenge.

IMHO Pisa is a worthwhile stop if only for no more then an hour, 30' to climb and 10-15 look around.

We did a full day Pisa to Florence with RIL, but out of LIvorno.

If you really have 4 hours and you have never been there I'd think hard. In four hours you can still do a quick stop at Academia ( pre-reserved ), St. Croce, Dumo and Pointe Vecchio. Yes lots of time in car, but possible and only can you decide if that will be worthwhile. RIL is great as they will drop you at the curb literally in each place. Imagine if you never get back for another 20 years would you regret not at least taking a peak at the place, I know I would.

Good luck!

This is so difficult to decide - especially since I am only telling my children at Christmas that we are going. RIL suggested an alternative of Pisa, Lucca, and Volterra. I have to do more research on this - wondering if there is something be the sea that we could combine with this.

This is such a hard call which is why I really value everyone's experience with this.

This is so difficult to decide - especially since I am only telling my children at Christmas that we are going. RIL suggested an alternative of Pisa, Lucca, and Volterra. I have to do more research on this - wondering if there is something be the sea that we could combine with this.

This is such a hard call which is why I really value everyone's experience with this.

As eurocruiser has pointed out, Cinque Terre is by the sea and would make excellent sense based on where you are docking.

Archived