About Roll Calls?

sail7seas

Has anyone seen what I have noticed about some roll calls for upcoming cruises we have booked? I read sometimes but rarely post because early in the roll call most of the conversation is concerning making independent plans for tours and excursions. We don't do many as we've been to the Caribbean so many times we go off on our own.

As the cruise time comes near and I start to think about joining in the conversation, it mostly ends. Once people link up or absorb info regarding their excursions, seems many stop 'chatting'.

I usually never post to the roll call at all.

I've seen this on about 3 or 4 roll calls so wonder if that is common.

Most of the roll calls about which I am referring only have maybe 20 or so people involved.... not huge groups.

I think it depends entirely on the people involved. For our Nieuw A cruise we had over 700 posts, and it not only was very active right up until the time people were departing for planes, but also there were a few posts after the cruise. If there's one "sparkplug" (as we had) and one or two others that will interact with him/her the roll call can be very active.

Of course on that cruise there were not only the making of arrangements for private tours, but also lots of discussion of getting to Venice and the pier, as well as pre- and post-cruise days in Italy, which you don't get on a Caribbean cruise.

Our roll call for the 10/10/10 Serenade of the Seas Cruise out of San Juan was great! The roll continued right up to the time folks departed for San Juan with over 1,600 post. We had some great people in our roll call. 28 of us met for a meet and greet in San Juan the day before the cruise, then the rest of us met on the ship at the Sky Bar above the pool deck on embarkation day (About 36 people), as well as the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle on Sea Day. Great people all of them!

The roll calls and the people I have met via them have made my trips the fantastic experiences they were. Since I travel solo the roll call is a life line to meeting people ahead of time.....and feeling like I already have friends when I board. The roll call for my next trip (still 2 months away) has 788 posts already and I think about 60 people involved.

Many of the posts are about planning shore excursions together....but many are just getting to know each other also. People have shared a LOT of information about the ship and the ports we will be visiting.

I LOVE THE ROLL CALLS!!! I am currently participating in 3 different roll calls for 3 different trips I have booked. A GREAT opportunity.....at least it works well for ME!

You may see less on the roll calls, as we "meet" here on CC, but then trade emails, etc, and often don't put our information out here for everyone to read. If we've hooked up for private excursions, there's no reason to bore everyone with our plans...just a thought.

Personally, I like to post enough to keep the roll call going, but I email/facebook my new found "friends"...

I will be interested in the responses to this.

I have only been involved in 3 rolls calls. My first experience was in 2009, for a Baltic cruise with Princess and it was very active when I joined. I met some nice people to share an excursion with in Poland. Our M&G was well attended.

This year, I started a roll call for our Western Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam, and it was very slow, with just a few posters. I would attempt to get a conversation going by posting a tidbit of information, with links to various articles or websites that I thought would be of interest to others. I organized a Meet & Greet and everyone who signed up, showed up, about 16 people. We met some really nice folks at the M&G, and shared some excursions. Even though there were very few people, it was fun.

Recently, I started a roll call for our upcoming Greek Isles cruise in July 2011. Only a few responses, but no discussions yet. Perhaps it is too early.

I agree with jtl513, I really think it depends on the people involved, and perhaps the itinerary. If my current roll call doesn't start getting more activity, I am tempted to make this my last one.

It's only fun and interesting if people share ideas and join in on the discussion. It is hard to stay motivated in a monologue.;)

Agree with Kween Karen, I am on four right now and have always enjoyed them. Usually arrange to Link up with dinner with people from them when we are travelling on our own. Love a large table and meeting new people.

Our Noordam group has over 80 members, our Oasis Groups are growing too. The Jewel OS group last year was over 200. You get out of them what you put in I think.

If a lot of people just look, and don't contribute to the conversation though, may explain smallish group and lack of much content of conversations????

Speak up, you may enjoy it.

Our first Roll Call was for a Med cruise from Rome last Nov. It went well over 100 pages and there were plenty of posts even after the cruise. It was such a fun way to anticipate the trip, get acquainted, and share very important information about visiting Europe. We had over 100 people at our M&G. This was for a Princess cruise on the Grand. Since that first experience none of the other Roll Calls we have been on have come close to having that much activity. It's very disappointing. I'm sot a social butterfly but I have tried to keep the ball rolling, usually without much success

I think itinerary has a lot to do with lack of activity as the Alaska, Carib and Mexican Riviera cruises may have a lot of "been there, done that" feeling for some.

I've had mixed experiences.

One roll call was barely active at all and our "Meet & Greet" ended up with us and another couple meeting in the Crows Nest.

Last year we had a VERY active roll call and many of us chatted for several months before the cruise, we had a super Meet & Greet, did a "Cabin Crawl" on board, ended up hanging out a lot during the entire cruise and topped it off by getting together and renting the Oasis Cabana on HMC for one of the most amazing days ever. We still keep in touch with several of the folks we met via that Roll Call.

This year the roll call was slow at the beginning, picked up and we had a very nice Meet and Greet onboard. As we brought along the entire family this year we were more focused on time together than reaching out for others to hang out with.

I think it all comes down to the people involved in teh roll call and their motives for participating. Some alre just looking to get or share advice, some are looking to connect up and get to know others, etc.

Archived