Does your chance of a good upgrade increase if you are Platinum?

Synthetic

Hello all. Pardon if this has been posted (I searched but due to people posting their status in their signatures, I got back a ton of garbage)...

Is there any policy or perceived practice that Platinum cruisers get upgrade priority? I am thinking of booking a Gty OV on a short little cruise and am curious.

Thank in advance!

-Buzz

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when or who the upgrade fairy calls.

I've got 21 cruises and only a couple of upgrades.

There was a thread last week where someone was helping their large family book several cabins, the OP had 8 or 10 cruises themselves and they were quite upset that one of their newbie family got upgraded to a suite and they didn't get anything.

My advice is only book a gty cabin if you are willing to take the worst cabin in that category. I tend to book only rates that I can pick my cabin,, because I want to be on the port side of the ship

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when or who the upgrade fairy calls.

I've got 21 cruises and only a couple of upgrades.

There was a thread last week where someone was helping their large family book several cabins, the OP had 8 or 10 cruises themselves and they were quite upset that one of their newbie family got upgraded to a suite and they didn't get anything.

My advice is only book a gty cabin if you are willing to take the worst cabin in that category. I tend to book only rates that I can pick my cabin,, because I want to be on the port side of the ship

WAIT - Allow me to be more specific... I am booking a GTY cabin anyway and don't really have a 'bad place' on the ship...

My PVP said those who cruise a really lot get upgraded more often ... I said hey I am doing 7 this year, she said she means they REALLY cruise a lot .. there must be people who do a lot per year.

luckycruiser seems to get a lot of them from their posts.

Iv never gotten one and Im now platinum... unless you count a couple of decks with a gty.

My PVP said those who cruise a really lot get upgraded more often ... I said hey I am doing 7 this year, she said she means they REALLY cruise a lot .. there must be people who do a lot per year.

luckycruiser seems to get a lot of them from their posts.

Iv never gotten one and Im now platinum... unless you count a couple of decks with a gty.

And That is what I am saying (although it wouldnt suck to get a Balcony or Suite with an GTY OV)...

I received a heck of an upgrade a few years back from a inside GTY to a 6J.

I snagged a free upgrade once from OV to Suite. (3rd cruise)

Once an upsell from OV to Balcony for $75. (2nd cruise)

Since I've become Platinum, I've received one upsell call...from Balcony to Grand Suite for $1000. I declined.

Other than that, nothing.

And That is what I am saying (although it wouldnt suck to get a Balcony or Suite with an GTY OV)...

I received a heck of an upgrade a few years back from a inside GTY to a 6J.

Iv never gotten anything with a carnival upgrade worth much, certainly not out of the type gty I booked.

RCL I got a PR and a OV cabin with a inside gty. Sweet. RCL doesnt do upsells so your chances for a nice upgrade are much higher.

Due to the Carnival upsell dept your chances of a upgrade are significantly less than they were a few years ago.

Hard to figure.

Have done about 15 cruises so say 6 since we became platinum.

In the last 6 got two upsell calls one good one to an aft wrap and one we declined to go to a suite.

For our first upsell they said it was because they wanted to thank us for being good customers but think they were blowing smoke.

Archived