Princess Ship Tour

RichRuth11

Hi,

We are sailing on Sun Princess Cherry Blossom cruise in March 2011. This is our first cruise & we would very much like to do a tour of the ship. I saw on the www.princess.com.au website this info...

Princess Cruises Ultimate Ship Tour®

A Behind-the-Scenes Adventure

Princess passengers can get an exclusive glimpse at the behind-the-scenes action onboard a Princess ship with the Princess Cruises Ultimate Ship Tour® — a cruise industry first. The tour is offered once or twice per cruise on a sea day, and allows passengers to explore the engine control room, medical center, print shop, laundry, photo lab, bridge, and other areas typically seen only by the ship’s crew. The final stop of the tour is the ship’s command center, where passengers will meet the Captain, enjoy special refreshments and take in the dramatic views from the bridge’s wraparound windows. Participants will also receive a variety of themed mementos at many other stops along the route.

Available on all ships except for Royal Princess, Pacific Princess and Ocean Princessom, medical center, print shop, laundry, photo lab, bridge, and other areas typically seen only by the ship’s crew. The final stop of the tour is the ship’s command center, where passengers will meet the Captain, enjoy special refreshments and take in the dramatic views from the bridge’s wraparound windows. Participants will also receive a variety of themed mementos at many other stops along the route.

But could not find any way to book it or enquire about it. None of the email sites on the website seem to help

Hope one of you experienced cruisers can assist us,

Cheers,

Rich & Ruth

Hi Rich and Ruth,

Welcome to CC. We are on the Cherry Blossom with you!:) All you have to do is go to the Purser's desk and put your name down as soon as you get on. If they get too many they will have a lottery. When we were on the Star last year there were 48 passengers who put their names down so they held 5 tours. They are normally held on a sea day and costs $150. This seems a lot of money but is well worth it. At the end you get free photos taken, stationery, a chef's jacket and a plush bathrobe.

Hope this helps,

Ted

Hi Rich and Ruth,

I did the ultimate ship tour this year on the Sun and it was fantastic. It cost $175 (aus) approx. As soon as I boarded I went straight to the pursers office and put my name down and was lucky enough to go on the tour. It was held at the end of the cruise and and it took about 3 1/2hrs. We did not get to the Medical centre as they had an emergency and as it was a bit rough we did not get to the front on the ship. We got to everywhere else.

I hope you enjoy the tour.

Chez

Hi Rich and Ruth,

Welcome to CC. We are on the Cherry Blossom with you!:) All you have to do is go to the Purser's desk and put your name down as soon as you get on. If they get too many they will have a lottery. When we were on the Star last year there were 48 passengers who put their names down so they held 5 tours. They are normally held on a sea day and costs $150. This seems a lot of money but is well worth it. At the end you get free photos taken, stationery, a chef's jacket and a plush bathrobe.

Hope this helps,

Ted

Thanks Tedirene,

I was going to post the question on the Cherry Blossom roll call but was not sure if it was the appropriate place,

Look forward to meeting you on board,

Rich & Ruth

Hi Rich and Ruth,

I did the ultimate ship tour this year on the Sun and it was fantastic. It cost $175 (aus) approx. As soon as I boarded I went straight to the pursers office and put my name down and was lucky enough to go on the tour. It was held at the end of the cruise and and it took about 3 1/2hrs. We did not get to the Medical centre as they had an emergency and as it was a bit rough we did not get to the front on the ship. We got to everywhere else.

I hope you enjoy the tour.

Chez

Hi Chez,

Pursers desk will be our first stop when we board

Cheers,

Rich & Ruth

We just did the tour the week of October 24th on the Ruby Princess. Wonderful experience, well worth the money IMHO. We were the first to the Pursars desk and first to sign up. However my understanding (as told to me by the cruise director) is that there is a lottery process involved. So I'm not sure it's first come first served, but it can't hurt to be on the list early.

This tour is worth every penny. However, it is somewhat strenuous in that you climb a ladder on the side of the ship to get up and behind the Sea Witch. Good shoes are advised and no cameras allowed. A ship's photographer took photos all along the way and the next day, I was given over 20 photos of me in the different sites. They say three hours but ours, and I've heard many others as well, lasted four hours.

Ours was close to 4 1/2 hours, mostly because the Captain liked to chat and they kept bringing in more food.

I did carry a small camera, they permitted us to take pictures out the bridge windows and would have from up top, but its was too windy to go up safely.

This tour is worth every penny. However, it is somewhat strenuous in that you climb a ladder on the side of the ship to get up and behind the Sea Witch. Good shoes are advised and no cameras allowed. A ship's photographer took photos all along the way and the next day, I was given over 20 photos of me in the different sites. They say three hours but ours, and I've heard many others as well, lasted four hours.

Fun tour. For security you won't get to see the 'camera' room

or the 'engine' room. We saw a special stage light show then toured

backstage. Had pictures taken with a couple of dancers. Galley tour.

Photgraphy/ Print shop. Control room, Bridge (pictures with Capt),

Medical offices/rooms, forward Mooring deck, Laundry, Food storage areas,

rear Funnel area (ladders). I probably forgot something...we ended in

Adagio with cool drinks and we must have chatted with tour guide for another hour.

In every area visited we were treated to a talk then Q&A with chiefs.

I came away knowing that Emerald Princess was top notch...from

the nuts/bolts to the bits/Bytes...it is an awesome ship. The friendly,

knowledgeable crew made us feel welcome.

We got a Princess robe, Chef jacket, pictures, drinks and appetizers.

As a licensed and lifelong 'water rat' I really enjoyed the tour and

will say again, "I'll gladly sail with Princess Cruise Line, anytime, anywhere.

:cool::cool:

One thing that really won me over was that at each area you weren't just there with a tour guide, you met with the Head of that area. Added a nice level of gravitas to the presentations.

We didn't go to the mooring area though on the Coralm but we saw the Flower shop (and ladies were given flowers) and sat with the Captain in his ready room for quite a while.

Fun tour. For security you won't get to see the 'camera' room

or the 'engine' room. We saw a special stage light show then toured

backstage. Had pictures taken with a couple of dancers. Galley tour.

Photgraphy/ Print shop. Control room, Bridge (pictures with Capt),

Medical offices/rooms, forward Mooring deck, Laundry, Food storage areas,

rear Funnel area (ladders). I probably forgot something...we ended in

Adagio with cool drinks and we must have chatted with tour guide for another hour.

In every area visited we were treated to a talk then Q&A with chiefs.

I came away knowing that Emerald Princess was top notch...from

the nuts/bolts to the bits/Bytes...it is an awesome ship. The friendly,

knowledgeable crew made us feel welcome.

We got a Princess robe, Chef jacket, pictures, drinks and appetizers.

As a licensed and lifelong 'water rat' I really enjoyed the tour and

will say again, "I'll gladly sail with Princess Cruise Line, anytime, anywhere.

:cool::cool:

I hope you guys are right about multiple tours.

I spoke w/a Princess rep today while arranging for military OBCs. She stated that there was only one Ultimate Tour per cruise, for only 12 people. On some ships, first come first served. Others are moving to a lottery system. So if my wife and I entered the lottery, it could happen that only one of us would be selected, or none. Seems unlikely, but that's what I was told.

I hope you guys are right about multiple tours.

I spoke w/a Princess rep today while arranging for military OBCs. She stated that there was only one Ultimate Tour per cruise, for only 12 people. On some ships, first come first served. Others are moving to a lottery system. So if my wife and I entered the lottery, it could happen that only one of us would be selected, or none. Seems unlikely, but that's what I was told.

Are you able to enter a lottery before sail date? I thought you have to sign up at the desk on embarkation day?

I'm going to be the damp squib on this. We did as everyone said signed on as soon as we got on board and were lucky to go onto the tour. It says you are going into areas where there is high noise -there wasn't but if there had been no ear plugs were provided (I brought mine with me). There was also a comment on the waiver sheet you need to sign that you need to wear shoes not sandals because of where you are going. When a couple of people turned up in sandals I asked about it and was told it's up to them. Why include it if it up to the participants?

I mentioned the waiver - in essence it more or less says if you die or are injured on the tour they take no responsibility. As a safety professional (hence the ear plugs mentioned earlier) signing a waiver without an orientation means nothing. When I asked about an orientation they said we don't need to give one as everyone has signed the waiver.

It was interesting getting to all the places where it says crew only.

Unlike Pam who got lots of photos we got three with the one the bridge being the main momento but someone else on the tour had been talking when the original bridge photo was taken so they took another one. This time (and this was the only one they apparently kept) they positoned the talker in front of my brother so all you could see was his forehead. Sorry but if they are promoting the tour as something not to be forgotten we won't forget it because of that.

I agree you do get goodies and probably should have and extra suitcase to take them back but if you go on it ask to see the Bridge photo before they delete others.

Are you able to enter a lottery before sail date? I thought you have to sign up at the desk on embarkation day?

Nope. Only after boarding. I plan to drop our things in the stateroom and go find the Purser. Or whatever they're calling that function now. Customer Service?

Did the tour on the Diamond last time, it was terrific, as were the gifts, and it gives you a whole new appreciation of the crew and what they do, that you normally don't see.

Will never remove my automatic tips after seeing it.

Cheers

I did the tour on the Dawn Princess in May this year and they did 2 tours on mid cruise sailing days.

I too thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was worth the price.

It went for about 4 hours.

I could not get over the heat and noise in the laundry. That is a tough job!

So when you board, you just have your carry-ons, right? They'll delivery your luggage to your room later, whether you're there or not, right?

So do you really need to go straight to your room, or would it be wiser to head directly for the purser to sign up for the Ultimate Ship Tour?

So when you board, you just have your carry-ons, right? They'll delivery your luggage to your room later, whether you're there or not, right?

So do you really need to go straight to your room, or would it be wiser to head directly for the purser to sign up for the Ultimate Ship Tour?

For any sign-up event, including the ship's tour, personally I'd go straight to the Purser before going to your room. You'll have a greater chance of getting on. Correct, you'll only have your carry-ons and your luggage will be delivered to your stateroom.

Good luck, we're going to do this (hopefully) on the Golden in December.

Patti

• 1 month later...
We are planning on doing this on the Crown this February. Is there alot of walking at one time, or is it short walks with pauses. Have back problems when walking far.

On the Island Princess, we started at the front of the ship, walked to the rear to see the kitchens, walked to the front to see the mooring deck, and went up and down steep stairs. The only time we were able to sit down was at the end when having cocktails with the captain. 2 people dropped out along the way.

The tours must vary from ship to ship. THe IP had one tour of 19 people because they didn't want to hold a second tour. No lottery. We did not climb up in the funnel area, but we did see the medical center (the doctor's stories were very interesting). The security guard that with with us kept a sharp eye on us the whole way.

I found the tour fascinating and highly recommend it.

We were not chosen in the lottery for the Ultimate Ship Tour (it was our first cruise). We might cruise again, we're just not sure. But one thing that would tip the scales would be a guarantee that we both would be on the Ultimate Ship Tour on this possible next cruise. Perhaps they ought to allow reservations for this prior to cruise, first come first served for those that have paid in full. Maybe then accept standbys and even a list for a possible second tour.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Archived