Dumb Q about Heathrow-London transport

travel dog

We are three adults who (each traveling with 1 large case, 1 carry-on, and 1 handbag or tote), and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from Heathrow to a hotel in Bloomsbury. The advice on this board is very helpful except for one thing: I can't tell when the prices quoted are for 1 person or for all 3 in a taxi or car. Of course, that makes a big difference in overall cost.

So far (ballpark numbers), I have the following:

"Black" Taxi ~ 60 pds

Is this price for the taxi (i.e. for all 3 = 20 pd. @) or per person (60 x 3 = 180 pd total)?

Car service (Just Airports, Simply Airports, Airport Direct) ~ 25.00 pd

Is the 25 pd for the car (for all 3 = 8+ pd @) or per person (25 x 3 = 75 pd total)?

Shuttle service -- They tell you! For 3 people, it's 15 pd @ and therefore 45 pd total for all in the group.

Heathrow Express/shared Cab (Costs are individual)

16.50 pd train + 5 pd cab = 21.50 @, for a total cost of 64.50 pd

Maybe the easiest way to frame the question is ask whether the total cost for all 3 people will be:

Taxi: 60 pd or 180 pd?

Car service: 24 pd or 75 pd?

Shuttle: It is 45 pd

HE/Cab: It seems to be 64.50 pd

I hope this makes sense -- and apologize if this information is somewhere that I simply missed. Thanks for any assistance in figuring this out.

Car service/taxi will be per car, not per person.

As you are staying in Bloomsbury, you have another option: the Underground. Bloomsbury is on the Picadilly line, and at that point in the line there are lifts from the station to the surface so minimal stairs (some at the LHR end however).

Thank you!! And I'm glad I asked ....... For 3 people, then, a taxi (20 x 3 = 60) is roughly the same cost as taking the Heathrow Express and then a shared taxi from Paddington (21.50 x 3 = 64.50). Lower costs can be had from the car service, shuttle .... and, as you say, tube. With two people in their 60s, one with hip replacements, and no one in wonderful shape, however, we'll probably go for taxi, car service or shuttle. ............. Although I do love trains and the idea of finally getting to London by "arriving at Paddington station" appeals as well .......

But at least now I know which are apples and which are oranges. Thank you.

(Love your quote!)

If you want to take the train to Paddington, consider the Heathrow Connect. Same route as the HEX, but with stops along the way and at a lesser cost (single is 7.90). The train does have the cool factor (well for me at least!), and Paddington is a glorious mix of old Victorian and shiny, glass-and-chrome new (and it will be a level and very easy walk from the platform to the taxi stand).

Regards the above, there is no 'best way', there is the cheapest, fastest, comfortable, convenient etc.

For Bloomsbury don't underestimate the Underground, direct to Russell Square at the heart of Bloomsbury around which most Bloomsbury hotels are cited.

In terms of price this is cheapest, maximun 13.50 GBP for 3 people.

In terms of time, the Underground trains service each passenger terminal and run every 5 minutes and will take about an hour to Russell Square. None of the other option is much quicker and are often a lot slower.

A taxi will be much dependent on London's traffic, but Bloomsbury isn't great especially if you're coming in on a red eye and travelling through London in the morning rush hour 6-10 a.m., a taxi will be 50-90 minutes. In a couple of weeks the taxi priority lane is being pulled into London from Heathrow so it may well be slower from then.

The Heathrow Express runs every 15 minutes and takes 15 minutes to Paddington for Terminal 1 and 3, 20 minutes for Terminal 5 and 25/30 minutes for Terminal 4 (change of train). Its then a 15 minute cab ride.

The big downside of course of the Underground is going to be pulling the luggage and the space the Heathrow Express / Cab obtion provides.

Really comes down to whether this space, comfort and the 'to the hotel door' drop off is worth the 45 GBP premium over the Heathrow Express.

This is all tremendously helpful, to me and I'm sure others who will come across these posts. THANK YOU, particularly, for information on the Heathrow Connect -- don't know how I missed that option. And for the more specific Tube information

Time isn't a big factor: in fact, once we step foot in England, "slow" and "savor" are going to be my watchwords. And avoiding additional physical exertion, which will only make us more tired and possibly lead to mishaps, is going to be our caution. So, while getting onto the Tube might be fine, coming out at Russell Square could well put us in that no-man's land of "too far to walk comfortably and too close to get a cab ... at least without being scowled at quite thoroughly! (Not sure about that, since we haven't settled on a hotel yet, just Bloomsbury. Any advice is welcome!)

In case it's of use to others, here's what I finally came up with to present to my fellow travelers:

Heathrow to London: cost per person for a group of 3 (GBP and USD):

Tube: £4.50 -- $7.19

Natl Exp (bus) & cab: £10 (5 + 5) -- $16.12

Heathrow Connect & cab £12.90: (7.90 + 5) -- $20.79

Heathrow Exp & cab: £21.50 (16.50 +5) -- $34.65

Car service: £19.00 -- $30.65

Black Cab: £20.00 -- $31.95

My vote is going to be for the Heathrow Connect and cab. We'll be able to see what's along the route, a bit more leisurely than on the Express and undoubtedly more interesting than the highway; experience Paddington; and be delivered to the hotel door.

Of course, one of the others in our party is, I know, going to go for "fastest and cheapest" while the third member will opt for "least effort" (i.e., cab). This is where that extra weight given to the vote of the person who spends months researching and worrying about all the details comes in very handy -- I'm betting we wind up on the Heathrow Connect. <g>

Of course, one of the others in our party is, I know, going to go for "fastest and cheapest" while the third member will opt for "least effort" (i.e., cab). This is where that extra weight given to the vote of the person who spends months researching and worrying about all the details comes in very handy -- I'm betting we wind up on the Heathrow Connect. <g>

As the travel planner in our family, I agree with the 'planner-gets-final-vote' policy :D. Tell the one that 'fastest' and 'cheapest' are opposites in terms of your options, and the other that if you go for 'least effort/cab', they have to take the third seat, which in a black cab is one of those fold-down things which faces backwards. Not the most comfortable when speading along the M4, I can assure you... :rolleyes:

Another point: if you want some sort of food provisions, Paddington has at least 2 good sized food shops (mini-supermarkets, if you will). Easy to pick up something before cabbing it to your hotel.

Heathrow to London: cost per person for a group of 3 (GBP and USD):

Tube: £4.50 -- $7.19

Natl Exp (bus) & cab: £10 (5 + 5) -- $16.12

Heathrow Connect & cab £12.90: (7.90 + 5) -- $20.79

Heathrow Exp & cab: £21.50 (16.50 +5) -- $34.65

Car service: £19.00 -- $30.65

Black Cab: £20.00 -- $31.95

<g>

These are 2010 prices.

Public transport prices are all going up January 2nd 2011

Underground will cost 2.70 GBP to 5 GBP per person from Heathrow depending on whether you pay cash or Oyster and time/day of travel.

Rail fares are going up around 4% to 10%

Thanks -- good point. Of course, it's all I have to compare at the moment but should remember to look it all up again closer to the time. I imagine the 'proportions' will stay the same, however -- that is, the same order of least to most expensive.

There has been one (tentative) change in plans that affects all this, however: getting a room in Paddington area rather than Bloomsbury. (We have a series of requirements, including need for an elevator, that are better met in that area.) That change reduces the transport cost to a mere £7.90 (2010 prices), if we take the Heathrow Connect and walk the few blocks to our (currently selected) hotel. I'm so glad I posted here, since I might never have found out about that slower train -- or the National Express bus.

We are looking at a hotel between Kings Cross and Euston stations, what is the best train from Heathrow? Piccadilly line change to Kings X? We are 4 of us, do 4 fit in a london cab? with 5 cases?

Its only about 800 yards between Euston and St Pancas.

If you're staying at somewhere like the Novotel St Pancars it makes little difference if you walk from Kings Cross or Euston.

The Underground takes over an hour from Heathrow, but for much of the time is going to be as fast as any vehicle.

Rather than a black cab which will probably cost around 55/60 GBP for that journey, consider a private car booked in advance which will be about two thirds of that price.

Just Airports is one of the larger operators

The Underground would be pretty cheap and easy then to navigate? We are pretty fit. Could do some stairs. Will have the luggage, the underground would cost much less than car or not really. 2 adult, 2 kids <15

Cash fares from Heathrow to Kings Cross are going up to £5 in January so thats £15 in total for your party.

The key factor is luggage.

If you have one case and a small bag you can put on your lap you shouldn't have a problem.

As you are getting on at Heathrow the carriages will be relatively empty so you should get a seat. A lot of people put their luggage at the end of the carriage by the doors where this room when the acrriage is empty. If you do, make sure you get a seat immediately adjacent (the seats are benches facing into the carriage not forwards/backwards to maximise standing numbers).

By the time you get to London in all probability it will be a crush. The safe bet is to stand all the way over the top of your luggage, but its 25 stations to Kings Cross and over an hour.

Both Heathrow and Kings Cross have lifts in addition to escalators to get down to the stations.

Cash fares from Heathrow to Kings Cross are going up to £5 in January so thats £15 in total for your party.

The key factor is luggage.

If you have one case and a small bag you can put on your lap you shouldn't have a problem.

As you are getting on at Heathrow the carriages will be relatively empty so you should get a seat. A lot of people put their luggage at the end of the carriage by the doors where this room when the acrriage is empty. If you do, make sure you get a seat immediately adjacent (the seats are benches facing into the carriage not forwards/backwards to maximise standing numbers).

By the time you get to London in all probability it will be a crush. The safe bet is to stand all the way over the top of your luggage, but its 25 stations to Kings Cross and over an hour.

Both Heathrow and Kings Cross have lifts in addition to escalators to get down to the stations.

The £5 figure might be somewhat misleading...that is the cash fare from LHR to any zone 1 station...but if you buy an oyster card (the deposit is going from 3 quid to 5 quid in January but it's a deposit and refundable) and use PAYG, the off peak fare (outside of 0630-0930 and 1600 to 1900 weekdays), the fare drops to £2.70 (I think that's the new fare) and is part of the non peak capping for the day which would be the cost (it was £7.50 I think) of an off peak zone 1-6 travelcard.

If you're staying in London for 5 days or more and are buying a zone 1 & 2 travelcard (it is put on an oyster card), the extension fare for the trip from Heathrow to zone 2 when the 7 day card takes over is £1.40 so under some circumstances it can be dirt cheap!

The £5 figure might be somewhat misleading...that is the cash fare from LHR to any zone 1 station...but if you buy an oyster card (the deposit is going from 3 quid to 5 quid in January but it's a deposit and refundable) and use PAYG, the off peak fare (outside of 0630-0930 and 1600 to 1900 weekdays), the fare drops to £2.70 (I think that's the new fare) and is part of the non peak capping for the day which would be the cost (it was £7.50 I think) of an off peak zone 1-6 travelcard.

If you're staying in London for 5 days or more and are buying a zone 1 & 2 travelcard (it is put on an oyster card), the extension fare for the trip from Heathrow to zone 2 when the 7 day card takes over is £1.40 so under some circumstances it can be dirt cheap!

If you are staying for a few days or think the hassle of getting a refund on an Oyster for a single trip is worthwhile then it gets complicated if your kids are between 11 and 15 year old.

To get child fares at this age you need a photo ID card which costs £10 each for Oyster and Travelcards.

The work around is to buy a 1 day Travelcard each day which doesn't require an id card or pasy the cash fare

If you buy a visitors Oyster Card on-line or overseas from someone like Visit Britain these Oyster Cards you do not get any refund so if you do go down this route its best to buy at the Underground Station at Heathrow where Oyster Card sold will get their deposit refunded.

We have done Heathrow to central London a few different ways - bus and tube. The easiest way was National Express bus to Victoria (you would need a cab from there). The tube can be a bit aggravating and tiring especially if it is rush hour. One time we arrived back to Heathrow on a Saturday only to find that because of works on the line we had to change at a different place than planned. The reason I say National Express bus is easier is because the driver loads and unloads your case for you and you just have to worry about your hand luggage. Other than, say, two steps up to the coach that is the extent of stairs/escalators you will encounter. Also you can see more enroute from a bus. On the tube it is just underground stations you will see.

Thanks that is all great information. My children do fall into that age range for the 10GBP fee each for the photocard. Will be 3 days in london in zone 1 mostly except for initial Heathrow run. Our flight gets in at 8:35 pm on a Wednesday, imagine could hit the Tube by 10pm, is it still crowded on a weeknight this late? Love the price of 15 GBP for 4 of us. We should not be too tired as it is a day flight and will only feel like late afternoon/early eve to us.

Our flight gets in at 8:35 pm on a Wednesday, imagine could hit the Tube by 10pm, is it still crowded on a weeknight this late?

An 8:35 pm flight arrival should be fine.

Carriages won't be crowded like they are much of the day but probably will still be busier than you think once the train hits the centre.

Also you can see more enroute from a bus. On the tube it is just underground stations you will see.

Actually, not really true. The Piccadilly Line runs above-ground on what Americans call an "El" structure until it reaches Earl's Court, so you do get an aerial view of some London residential neighborhoods which you might not otherwise see.

That said, I would avoid the tube at rush hour, eg when most flights from the US land. The baggage area in each car is right by the doors, and it would be easy for someone to pop in, grab a bag and be off before you even realized it.

• 2 weeks later...
My vote is going to be for the Heathrow Connect and cab. We'll be able to see what's along the route, a bit more leisurely than on the Express and undoubtedly more interesting than the highway; ...
I wouldn't get your hopes up on the bits in between. It's tunnel, followed by industrial wasteland, followed by boring suburbia, followed by more industrial wasteland.
The Piccadilly Line runs above-ground on what Americans call an "El" structure until it reaches Earl's Court, so you do get an aerial view of some London residential neighborhoods which you might not otherwise see.
Again, you really won't miss these if you never see them.

I think the short summary is this: Don't pick your route into London based on what you might see from a train. If you want en route sightseeing, you need a car/cab. But it's better to do all the sightseeing after you've got to the hotel and dropped your luggage.

Archived