Anyone think it's selfish to insist on bringing an infant onboard?

Fondofcruising

What is selfish is to think someone else is "selfish" to "insist" on bringing a family member on a family trip.

As a parent, I would never let a child cry in a hotel room or ship cabin for longer than a few minutes. There are always vacant public spaces on the ship where I would walk or lie down so that I don't disturb others.

Most of us have chosen to save dollars by sharing flights, hotels and cruise ships with several thousand strangers. Part of the return on our smallish investment means that the human condition occasionally will affect us. Whether it's a baby, a sick adult, a slow-moving elderly person, a loud drunk, etc. It's part of the price we pay for not having chosen a more private experience.

I think it is incredibly selfish to bring a baby on a ship. I guess if it was a Disney ship you'd have to expect it. However, crying babies is not my idea of a relaxing time. It's no different than bringing a baby to an expensive restaurant. People pay good money to enjoy an evening out and that doesn't include listening to a crying baby. I adore children of all ages. I just don't think a baby belongs on a ship.

[quote name='Fondofcruising']

If there's any cruise where one can expect to see babies, it would be on a Disney cruise as that is marketed to children. I wish that parents would either wait for their children were out of the "meltdown" zone or would arrange for babysitting back at home if they're not going to cruise the Disney ships. A baby is not going to remember the trip. If you can't find any resources - meaning no one wants to babysit back home (hmm), then why not consider others and consider other modes of travel than cruises.[/QUOTE]

I do not think taking your infant is being selfish...

It's nice to spend a vacation with your children and other members of the family. I personally dont have kids but my uncle and my cousin always bring their children along and it makes for a great vacation. He takes them everywhere even since they where babies and they have the best family photos and memories (at least for the parents)..

As long as you are couteous as I am sure you would be in any public place then there is no problem..

[quote name='kimebear']Everyone should decide what is best for them and their family. I know that there is no way I will leave my 6 mo. old behind while DH and I vacation. Parents of infants need vacation time too (is this in any doubt?) with their baby. Sometimes these vacations are the only quality time that working parents get with their kids. That being said, we will of course do whatever we can do to minimalize our neighbors inconvenience. I would expect the same from them (loud talking, loud ... ahem.. etc). But I would rather deal with a crying infant who doesn't know better, than a whining adult who is pushing ahead of you in line for the midnight buffet!!![/QUOTE]

[SIZE=4]BRAVO... [/SIZE]Very well said :D

I think "selfish" is putting it a little strongly and the word is bound to cause some defensive reactions. Whether or not people want to bring their infants or toddlers on a cruise is their business as long as the cruise operator permits it. If they disturb other passengers, they are no different than any others who cause disturbances. You purchase a cabin and the accompanying ammenities. You could be considered selfish or inconsiderate at best if you don't respect the rights of others to have a pleasant experience on board.

What I am saying is that if your infant does not affect the enjoyment of others, no problem. I agree with others who said that the infant does not benefit from the cruise. If the parents have to bring the baby along or not go at all, I guess it's understandable why they'd bring it along.

Remember a while back when Las Vegas was trying to position the city as a family destination? Now, it's "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas." Kids are our future but it's nice to get away once in a while!

Ouch, what a sticky subject!
I find the very fact that you even had to ask the question interesting and revealing.
You obviously have given this some serious thought.
You must be feeling that bringing an infant on a cruise is a questionable thing to do.
Usually, if you have doubts about something, and need to ask the very people whom you may offend, you are able to answer your own question if you are completely honest.
If you are unable to separate yourself from your infant, perhaps you could think of an alternate vacation option.
I would not characterize your desire to have your infant with you as selfish at all.
You would not intentionally allow your baby to irritate anyone, I am sure.
If you are the rare person who has never been offended by a crying baby in Church, in a theater, at a wedding, in a restaurant,or a myriad of other places, you are fortunate.
Hopefully, you will make a decision that you are at peace with.
We are all just human, and probably take a cruise with the thought of peaceful nights and days.
Does this make us all selfish?
I think not.

[quote name='SailAways']Ouch, what a sticky subject!
I find the very fact that you even had to ask the question interesting and revealing.
You obviously have given this some serious thought.
You must be feeling that bringing an infant on a cruise is a questionable thing to do.
Usually, if you have doubts about something, and need to ask the very people whom you may offend, you are able to answer your own question if you are completely honest.
If you are unable to separate yourself from your infant, perhaps you could think of an alternate vacation option.
I would not characterize your desire to have your infant with you as selfish at all.
You would not intentionally allow your baby to irritate anyone, I am sure.
If you are the rare person who has never been offended by a crying baby in Church, in a theater, at a wedding, in a restaurant,or a myriad of other places, you are fortunate.
Hopefully, you will make a decision that you are at peace with.
We are all just human, and probably take a cruise with the thought of peaceful nights and days.
Does this make us all selfish?
I think not.[/QUOTE]

[b][color=darkred]Nice answer..[/color][/b]

Archived