Anyone think it's selfish to insist on bringing an infant onboard?

Fondofcruising

You make a good point. I smoke, and while I have no problem following the rules and smoking only in designated areas, I would sure as hell have a problem being told I could smoke nowhere on the ship just because someone didn't like it.

Frankly, I hate to say it, but I've been more annoyed by the many cranky, complaining, annoying older people on ships than by the behavior of any of the infants and children. I wonder sometimes why some of these elderly pax even bother cruising ... they seem to have so many complaints ... and so constantly. Some of them also seem to think that just because they are older and sporting a cane or a walker, that they have the right to butt into line and push me out of the way without so much as an "excuse me."

No, to be honest ... most of the children ... even the occasionally screaming infant ... are a joy to be around in comparison to some of these people.

Blue skies ...

--rita

While I agree with you, I find it easy to laugh it all off. We have kids and babies, smokers, and older people in our world and god bless them. We need to all learn to be more forgiving while cruising. When we get home --- we can stay away from those that offend us. BTW --- I love those kids.

to either go to an adults only resort or to save up more $$$$ and cruise on Silversea or Seaborne where she'll be guaranteed no babies or children. To suggest parents are 'selfish' for bringing infants (especially on a mainline cruise of 1000-3000 pax) is ludricrous.

While cruising with family members in the room next to us, we were worried about "naked hugging" and sound issues (i dont need to hear strangers doing it, let alone familymembers!). Anyway, one AM my Aunt and I were laughing so hard at one of the Drew Carey SHows on the ship, and we woke up our family members with the laughter. They later made a comment about the thiness of the walls, and how they made a mental note of it. Thank goodness they kept everything quiet from that point on!!! Drew Carey saved me from having to hear something I didnt want to hear!

Casey

While cruising with family members in the room next to us, we were worried about "naked hugging" and sound issues (i dont need to hear strangers doing it, let alone familymembers!). Anyway, one AM my Aunt and I were laughing so hard at one of the Drew Carey SHows on the ship, and we woke up our family members with the laughter. They later made a comment about the thiness of the walls, and how they made a mental note of it. Thank goodness they kept everything quiet from that point on!!! Drew Carey saved me from having to hear something I didnt want to hear!

Casey

LOL that's hilarious! "Naked hugging" - that's a new one!

I'd agree with what was already said: I think it's more selfish to think that everyone on a cruise should be like you/be like the person you want them to be. If you're going to go on a cruise, you have to understand that out of the 3000 other passengers, there are going to be some that wont "click" with you. That's just the nature of the type of vacation.

In terms of cell phones, they don't really bother me that much. But then again, I'm growing up in a society full of them. I'm more annoyed by people who can't stop complaining about every little thing that bothers them. Vacations are what you make of them, and the best way to relax is to just look the other way!

While I agree with you, I find it easy to laugh it all off. We have kids and babies, smokers, and older people in our world and god bless them. We need to all learn to be more forgiving while cruising. When we get home --- we can stay away from those that offend us. BTW --- I love those kids.

I love the kids too ... believe me ... but they are really easy for me to love since I don't have to take care of them. :)

Oh, the cranky seniors one meets on occasion don't really bother me. I just can't imagine why some of the constant complainers even bother to cruise. If you're gonna find fault with everything about the experience, then why bother to spend your money?

But, you're right ... the world is a better place because of the diversity of the people we meet. Gotta love 'em. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have 5 children (the last two were twins) and I would never, ever have vacationed with them anywhere that was not child friendly..or directed toward their ages...and I don't think a cruise fits that bill, unless it is a Disney one..

That's interesting. Of course, not having any children of my own, I really know nothing about this. Aren't mainstream cruise ships "child friendly?" I thought most of them had very expansive children's programs with activities geared to each age level, and even some special shore excursions specifically for children. I just assumed that's why many parents brought the kids ... because they knew that the younger set would have a great time too.

Am I wrong about this?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I, myself would never take a baby or toddler on a cruise. I waited until my daughter was old enough to enjoy all the activities which was about the age of eleven and then it was on a Disney ship.

It cannot be alot of fun taking care of someone that young but if the parents want to do it thats up to them. However, I do not want to be sat at a table with babies or young children. I am way past the stage where I want to hear fussing and baby talk at dinner.

• 3 months later...

Everyone should decide what is best for them and their family. I know that there is no way I will leave my 6 mo. old behind while DH and I vacation. Parents of infants need vacation time too (is this in any doubt?) with their baby. Sometimes these vacations are the only quality time that working parents get with their kids. That being said, we will of course do whatever we can do to minimalize our neighbors inconvenience. I would expect the same from them (loud talking, loud ... ahem.. etc). But I would rather deal with a crying infant who doesn't know better, than a whining adult who is pushing ahead of you in line for the midnight buffet!!!

If you get stuck in a cabin next to a baby that cries and cries at night . . . wait until it stops crying for a few minutes and then go at it "the love boat" thumping against the wall, moaning the whole 9 yards and you'll wake the baby and parents up again. The parents can be up all night and you can put ear plugs in and go to sleep . . .

Everyone should decide what is best for them and their family. I know that there is no way I will leave my 6 mo. old behind while DH and I vacation. Parents of infants need vacation time too (is this in any doubt?) with their baby. Sometimes these vacations are the only quality time that working parents get with their kids. That being said, we will of course do whatever we can do to minimalize our neighbors inconvenience. I would expect the same from them (loud talking, loud ... ahem.. etc). But I would rather deal with a crying infant who doesn't know better, than a whining adult who is pushing ahead of you in line for the midnight buffet!!!

This doesn't sound selfish, what is best for me and my family.

While I am willing to acknowledge that children will be children, and a parent can not always predict what a child will do......a parent has an OBLIGATION to control their kids and promptly remove their kids from an environment when the child's behavior is intruding on my peace and quiet.

There are cruise lines and itineraries which are much more conducive to a family trip, and parents should recognize that. If I book on a Carnival ship thru the Carib, then I expect children to be on board. Likewise, I expect much more of a party atmosphere from the other passengers.

I was in the Queen's Grill on the QE2 for the first time at the age of 7. We were on board ship for 104 days. I'm sure that there were times that I got overly excited about something and raised my voice more than the staid others in the dining room. But I can guarantee that if I ever threw a temper tantrum, the look from my Mother and Father was enough to send fear up my spine....and I fully understood that I was expected to behave or I would be removed from that setting. I can honestly say that, even at that age, I was welcomed back on board during subsequent cruises, not only by the staff but by repeat passengers, some of whom are still friends today.

Sorry, I don't care if a parent has paid for a cruise and has paid for the kid. It is the parents' responbility to know the attention span of their children and know what type of ship works or does not work for that kid. As I match my ship, cruise line, and itinerary to what I want to see and how I expect to live my ship-board experience, I expect others to do the same. Ever heard the old saying (with my edit thrown in): "Your rights end when my nose (and my ears) start."

(Phew..........boy am I gonna take a lashing for that! :eek: )

Try not being cranky when there's a baby screaming in the next cabin for 3 hours at a stretch, every day from 5 am to 8 am (we're night people). I understand that babies cry, but, pleeeeeaaase. And beings our teens were with us we were unable to "retaliate".

As long as the parents are considerate of others and don't subject them to the babies crying I see no problem with it.

Oh yeah, I took my oldest daughter when she was 6 months old ;)

Scott

When we started taking vacations our friends suggested we take our kids one year than adults only go the next yr.
This plan worked out great. I think the children enjoyed being away from us and we had an opportunity to rekindle our relationship.
We did not start cruising until they were 10, 12, 15....by than we could let them do things without us. They learned how to dress for dinner and table etiquette.

This year we are planning a family cruise where all the children are going but the only grandchild will stay home. She will be just under 2yrs old. My son wanted to bring her but she would have to pay 3rd person rate, could not go in the kids group. Babysitting was not available for under 2. Everyone in this family gambles...who would watch her after dinner?
We did not think this type of vacation was appropriate.

I agree that all parents must decide what works for them but they also need to be extremely considerate of others.

[quote name='Fondofcruising']I wish that parents would either wait for their children were out of the "meltdown" zone or would arrange for babysitting back at home if they're not going to cruise the Disney ships. A baby is not going to remember the trip. If you can't find any resources - meaning no one wants to babysit back home (hmm), then why not consider others and consider other modes of travel than cruises.[/QUOTE]
Oh, boy. Here we go again! :)

Some parents travel with their infants because they are separated from them quite a bit at home ... leaving them to go to work, using daycare or babysitters so that mom and dad can work, etc. ... that when they take a vacation, they wouldn't dream of leaving the little ones at home. They want the children with them, even if those children happen to be infants. Maybe the baby won't remember the trip, but mom and dad sure will.

I have no problem with it ... as long as the parents are considerate; i.e., take the baby out of the dining room if he/she starts to fuss ... take the baby for a stroll out on deck if he/she wakes up in the middle of the night crying. While I myself don't have children ... and prefer to sail without a bunch of kids and infants sharing the boat with me, I also recognize that there are plenty of people who do have kids and who wouldn't dream of taking a vacation without them. My philosophy has always been ... knock yourself out ... just don't ask me to take care of them. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I work in a neonatal intensive care unit. With all the tragedies and sorry that I have seen parents endure I feel that just having a healthy infant or child is so fortunate. You should understand that some people may want to share their vacation trips with loved ones traveling with them. Of course I'm referring to the responsible families who are courteous and mindful of others. I feel most parents are but I'm sure there are the minor exceptions. After seeing many people die, both very young, premature and very old I find that the little annoyances of infants crying and the elderly complaining is so minor in the greater sceme of life. I can remember when I worked with adults, families taking care of an infirm, elderly relative would admit them to the hospital so they could have some respite time away on a vacation during the holidays. So I do know that people do need a break, but it should be for their needs and not just to accomodate other's sensibilities. It's all in the perspective of things and perhaps we should try to be more tolerant of others. Don't forget these cruises may be the last for an elderly person and it won't be long before you will be walking in their shoes too.

I think one thing we can all agree on, is the hope that everyone one the ship be as kind and courteous as possible, and hope that we all try to be as nice a fellow passenger as we hope to have. I try not to get too upset with anyone that is annoying if I have only encountered them the one time. I know that I have had many an "off" day when I wouldn't want to know me!:p

I am not sure I would want to take an infant out of the United States and away from proper medical care. Its one thing to take that risk yourself, but an infant's immune system is not fully developed. You put them on ships that have there own higher disease risk (Norwalk) and you land in ports with disease and other things that an infant should not be exposed to.

Many adults are prone to diarrhea when travelling. It just goes with the territory. Different water, different bacteria. Does it make sense to risk that with an infant. Bad diarrhea for an infant can dehydrate them and make them quite ill.

What if something happens while docked in Belize? I am not sure what kind of medical help you would get there.

The CDC and other medical web sites have some good reading on this. You can do searches with infant, travel, risk, cruise, as keywords.

[quote name='Next']I am not sure I would want to take an infant out of the United States and away from proper medical care. Its one thing to take that risk yourself, but an infant's immune system is not fully developed. You put them on ships that have there own higher disease risk (Norwalk) and you land in ports with disease and other things that an infant should not be exposed to.

Many adults are prone to diarrhea when travelling. It just goes with the territory. Different water, different bacteria. Does it make sense to risk that with an infant. Bad diarrhea for an infant can dehydrate them and make them quite ill.

What if something happens while docked in Belize? I am not sure what kind of medical help you would get there.

The CDC and other medical web sites have some good reading on this. You can do searches with infant, travel, risk, cruise, as keywords.[/QUOTE]

We consulted our doctor about health issues cruising in the caribbean with an infant and he looked at us like we were nuts and said there was nothing to be concerned about, go and have a good time.

There is proper medical care on the ship.

Scott

[quote name='Next']I am not sure I would want to take an infant out of the United States and away from proper medical care. Its one thing to take that risk yourself, but an infant's immune system is not fully developed. You put them on ships that have there own higher disease risk (Norwalk) and you land in ports with disease and other things that an infant should not be exposed to. .[/QUOTE]

Actually Norwalk/Norovirus is very common in daycares and schools. It is also known as "the 24 hour stomach flu".

When it happens on the land - people just call it 24 hour stomach flu. Norwalk was actually named because of an oubreak of gastroenteritis in a school in Norwalk, Ohio.

Archived