Liberty OTS, Eastern Caribbean - Review w/ Pictures

wgraves

I'm so glad you enjoyed your cruise on the Liberty

My husband and I must be in the minority.

We were on the same cruise with you also with my sister and husband and very good friends from New Jersey.

They all loved the cruise like you but hubby and I disagree - which is unusal for us to agree about something, lol.

We were not happy with the food at all - not even in the 2 speciality restaurants

we did not like the entertainment

the ship was too crowed for us and way too many people - the elevators were always crowded and had to wait a long time for them

going into the MDR and shows were very very croweded

this was for our first cruise where we could not find a nice place to dance and have a drink.

Boleros was way overcrowded with lots of smoke

the lounge upstairs had "old people music"

the crypt certainly did look like a crypt and was never anyone in it

while the promanade was nice - pizza was not as good as princess - at all

I know I am going to get alot of flack for this - but this is just our opinion.

So all in all - we prefer celebrity or princess

carol

Sorryhad such a miserable cruise. I thought the Liberty was one of the best cruises I've been on! Yes, Boleros was crowded....but that's b you ecause everyone enjoys watching those folks talented enough to get up and Latin dance! And you are right in saying that Princess pizza is better than RCI's. But if those are the things that "make or break" your vacation, then maybe RCI isn't for you.

Hi Mike! I just wanted to tell you how wonderful the cruise was. You're a great CD, the best I've experienced!!! Thank you for going above and beyond to make it wonderful for MOST people.

Ditto! Loved how you and Leigh play off each other (notice my careful choice of words!)

Thanks for the review! I love that I keep seeing information about tables for two. Lots of people want them but they are not what people expect. We have done this on three of our cruises and it is exactly what you say. Our last time they took a table for six, spint it into 3 tables for 2 about 6 inches or so apart. Basicly you are still sitting with the other people just further apart, but that doesn't always stop a talker! I will do them again but that is the beauty of Cruise Critic, you know what downsides you may be hit with.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Yeah... this seems to be a new thing RCI is doing...At least you dont have to talk to the other tables if you dont want to...that missing 2 to 6 inches says a lot. A polite hello or smile is all you need. What a nightmare dinner is when you are forced to sit with people you dont care for and have to talk evey night!!! Or just want to be alone with your mate and cant.:eek::eek::eek:

We too were on this cruise and agree for the most part with the OP. Though, you do have some valid points IMO, for instance, Princess pizza is way better that Sorrento’s and for the first time in 17 years, I gave poor ratings on our comment card regarding the food. We did a combination of specialty, MTD and WJ for dinners and we never found a really good meal anywhere. They were all just okay.

We did not have any problem with the elevators though. DH and I commented on how often we were able to catch an "express" elevator while onboard. We may have been on different schedules than you though. We don't do elevators down, only up and we make sure to look thru the glass and see which bank of elevators are the least busy.

I have to agree with the positive comments about the CD, Mike. We don't do shows anymore but watch the re-runs on TV. He was entertaining and we got a chuckle about how he and Leigh interacted also.

Finally, IMO, Boleros stinks. It makes that whole area smell like an old ash tray and we avoid it.

We've sailed the Liberty 7 times and even with the few negatives, we'd love to do it again and still wish they weren't taking her away from us.

They all loved the cruise like you but hubby and I disagree.

To each his own I guess. I'd say if you didn't enjoy this Liberty sailing, RCI is definitely not the line for you. The general consensus seems to be that it was an all-around great cruise. Hopefully you enjoy your Princess and Celebrity cruises more. It was good of you to give RCI a shot though. :)

Hi Mike! I just wanted to tell you how wonderful the cruise was. You're a great CD, the best I've experienced!!! Thank you for going above and beyond to make it wonderful for MOST people.

Mike definitely did go above and beyond. There just seemed to be a lot more "going on" during this cruise than the others I've been on. The game shows were fun, and it was a shame more people didn't go to them. The wife & I are still laughing over Roman Geysers, which is potentially the funniest thing I've ever seen on a ship. Major kudos to Mike and his team for putting that together!

Loved how you and Leigh play off each other (notice my careful choice of words!)

I dunno.. in Quest it was safe to say they played ON each other. :p

I just noticed at the start of my review, I have the last port listed as "San Juan, Bahamas." Should've finished my post-cruise sobering up before posting I guess. :o

Great Review! We sailed with you on Liberty and I must say, it was probably one of the best cruises we have been on. Your pics are great!

Great review and photos. We were on the ship as well.

We loved the way the CD changed things around at Quest and added some new games and a funny skit in togas.......that was hilarious!!!

His Assistant CD was great too! He is for sure a future CD someday soon....

Hello everyone - thanks for the nice comments, you are all right, I am hoping Leigh becomes a Cruise Director sooner rather than later. He has the "it" factor.

It might be greedy of me to say, but I hope he stays here for a bit longer, he pushes me to be on my toes and quick with comebacks.

Hope to see you all again soon!

Hello everyone - thanks for the nice comments, you are all right, I am hoping Leigh becomes a Cruise Director sooner rather than later. He has the "it" factor.

It might be greedy of me to say, but I hope he stays here for a bit longer, he pushes me to be on my toes and quick with comebacks.

The fact that Mike takes the time to post here is another great example of how he truly is a cut above the rest. Thanks for your efforts, Mike. They really did contribute to our great vacation. In our minds, Roman Geysers will be a tough act to follow, haha. Hope to have you as CD again in the future!

We too were on this cruise and agree for the most part with the OP. Though, you do have some valid points IMO, for instance, Princess pizza is way better that Sorrento’s and for the first time in 17 years, I gave poor ratings on our comment card regarding the food. We did a combination of specialty, MTD and WJ for dinners and we never found a really good meal anywhere. They were all just okay.

We did not have any problem with the elevators though. DH and I commented on how often we were able to catch an "express" elevator while onboard. We may have been on different schedules than you though. We don't do elevators down, only up and we make sure to look thru the glass and see which bank of elevators are the least busy.

I have to agree with the positive comments about the CD, Mike. We don't do shows anymore but watch the re-runs on TV. He was entertaining and we got a chuckle about how he and Leigh interacted also.

Finally, IMO, Boleros stinks. It makes that whole area smell like an old ash tray and we avoid it.

We've sailed the Liberty 7 times and even with the few negatives, we'd love to do it again and still wish they weren't taking her away from us.

WHAAA WHAT!!!!! They are taking the Liberty away?

What do u mean? Is she being sent to another port? What port?:eek::eek::eek:

WHAAA WHAT!!!!! They are taking the Liberty away?

What do u mean? Is she being sent to another port? What port?:eek::eek::eek:

I'm sorry to be the one to report this to you. . . breaks me up too. The Liberty will be based in Barcelona, Spain in 2011, I believe in April. Whaaa is right. :(

I'm sorry to be the one to report this to you. . . breaks me up too. The Liberty will be based in Barcelona, Spain in 2011, I believe in April. Whaaa is right. :(

OH No say it isnt so!!!!

Well are they atleast replacing her with another ship? :mad::mad::mad:

Mike, we were very lucky to have you as our cd on the AOS back in 2008......please tell me you will be on the Liberty in January

Thanks.

Nope. I should clarify though. After the Liberty comes back from it's 2011 summer in Spain, it will be cruising out of FLL doing 4-5 nighters.

Oh well it not all bad then...at least you can go on weekend trips on a nice ship!

I will trade you the Monarch in Canaveral for the Liberty! I guess they would then have two freedom class ships in one port. Hopefully one day they'll send oasis class to Canaveral. Thanks for the news anyway!:)

Just a question about your MTD reservations. We were thinking about reserving at 6:15 - do you think that would still allow plenty of time to get to the shows or do you think 6:00 would be better?

I like the breathing room we had between dinner and shows, time-wise. We ate at 6:00 and had time to come back to the cabin, change clothes, and get a good seat in the theatre. The fifteen minutes probably only matters on the first and last nights, when there is only one show around 7:45.

Glad that you're both on for the 28 of November sailing and I hope to meet you both!

Thanks, great review and nice pics too. We have also been on 6 RCI cruises including Freedom. We are going on 8 night sailing on Liberty in Feb and I have a few questions for both you and also for Cruise Director Mike, whom I notice is reading and responding:

1. We have been to St Maarten quite a few times but never went to the French side, which we plan to do this time. Did you do an excursion or go on your own? We would like to go to Orient Beach and would also like to have lunch. Any recommendations from you or anyone else are appreciated.

2. We are also doing My Time Dining for the first time. Our reservations are for 7:30 each night at a table for two, as we don't like to eat too early or too late. Just wondering how that will work with the show times? We don't necessarily have to go to all of the shows but usually like to go to the Farewell Show. We might like to just do our own thing some nights and just show up when we want, can we still do that a couple of nights even though we have standing reservations for 7:30?

3. We plan to also eat at specialty restaurants 2 nights. Any suggestions on what would be good nights to go there as far as which nights in the MDR are not the best menus? (ie Caribbean night)

4. Last question is for Mike. Will you be on the sailing on Feb 5? Sounds like you are a great cruise director so I hope so.

Any other info (ie what not to miss, etc) is appreciated.

Thanks much. :)

Archived