Food and servers

In2why

I was reading the thread about favorite foods, and there were a few things I would like to try but I am not sure if I would like.

If I order something I do not care for, is it really simple to order something else, or do the servers get put out at the extra work for them.

Also what is the best way to order so as not to interrupt the flow of dinner, or does the server take care of it? For instance if you wanted 2 shrimp cocktails (because I hear the shrimp are tiny) or if you decided to have an extra appetizer as your dinner because you aren't really hungry. Or if you love something can you order another one or do you need to know that you want 2 ahead of time?

I know some people say order as much and whatever you want, and then other people report that they have a hard time getting butter for their baked potato or bread on their table??

I have only been on 2 cruises but both times if I knew I wanted two appetizers I would just tell them when they took the order.. But sometimes I decided after the fact and just let them know later as well.. I think it depends on how good your server is too. Sometimes things would get forgotten but I didn't make a big deal out of it.. They are usually pretty busy but accommodate you if they can, however you choose to order.. I always knew I wanted the warm chocolate melting cake for dessert but also wanted to try something else so I would just tell them when they took the dessert order.. My son ordered the lobster and didn't care for it so he asked for chicken tenders and they brought that out pretty quickly too..

Only very rarely have I had any problem getting what I want, when I want it, at dinner. If I want an extra course (appetizer, soup/salad, entree, etc.) then I try to order it at the time when everyone else at my table is ordering that course, but when I haven't done it "in sequence" the waiter has still brought whatever I've wanted.

And yes, if you order something you don't like, or it's not prepared the way you ordered it, you can send it back.

I do try to NOT order more than I can eat, though. I know that some cruisers will order multiple "everything" , "just so I can try it"...take a bite, and set it aside. That to me is wasteful. Unless it really really is awful, I'll eat it..and then know not to order it next time!

I wanted to emphathise .. if you think you might want two entrees, or 5 appetizers, order them when everyone else orders.

If you decide you dont like something and then want to order something else you will hold up everyone else. His whole station .. he will do it, but it sets everyone behind. Its much easier to put in one order so he can get to everyone and serve the stuff in order.

If you want a baked potato, dont expect him to remove the vegetables, it will be on the side .. in addition to whatever is on the plate. (I just came home from RCL and they will remove veggies, which I never have been able to get Carnival to do)

I decided to try the avacado soup at lunch one day in the MDR-but I took one slurp and YUCK. So I left it alone. The waitress came over and asked me if there wa something wrong, I told her no, I just didn't like it, she asked if I wanted something else, and I said no I would wait for the entree, and I was fine. They are not that busy at lunch that they don't pay attention to you....at dinner if I know I want two of something I order it up front, and have even been advised by our last waiter to do so. but on the night they had escargot, I tried one of my friends, and decided I really like them, and asked the waiter for some as a second appetizer. It held up our dinner for maybe two minutes! LOL, it was on the table before you could say thank you, and then the meal was delivered. No problem. The staff really does try to accomodate everyone.

I generally will order a couple of appetizers and sometimes two entres and will order everything when they take my order.

However if I order only one entre and do not like it I will ask for something else. I recognize it will take some time and that is ok.

We often will order 2 appetizers, and 1 entree each, and then an extra entree for the table that all will "try" or share. That way if someone finds they don't like their meal, they can have a bit extra from the shared plate, and there is no holding up dinner for others.

On our last cruise, our tablemate only wanted to eat shrimp. He ordered 6 plates of the shrimp appetizer and nothing else. The last 2 nights of the 5-day cruise, he didn't show up at our table. Maybe he got tired of eating shrimp. He ordered the 6 plates of shrimp when everyone else ordered, and the server though lifting his eyebrows, he brought the shrimp with no problem.

You really can order anything you want - at any time tha tyou want. As others have said, if you know in advance you want, for example, two appitizers, you should order it when you order everything else. But there has never been a problem in my experience in getting something else if you wanted it.

Years ago on a Carnival cruise out of Tampa, we were seated with another family with 3 children, ages 2ish to 17. Their middle child was the same age as our 1. The 17 yr old was amazing; could eat 2 or 3 main courses! This was after his father ran him thru the sushi bar right before dining. By the 2nd or 3rd night our server would have his send helping (or 3rd) waiting before he could finish his plate! He finished everything; just at that age where he could & did eat everything that wasn't nailed down. Server actually called his boss over to whitness where all the steaks were going.

Archived