Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Nice positive 1st post....getting back 6 hours late sure puts all these problems to shame.:confused:

So having over 4000 posts makes you what? I've been on this board for years, I just don't post very often because of all the know it alls on here. Plus I've got better things to do than post over 4000 times. Yah, your post count is bigger than mine. Whopee.

For what it's worth, I'm just sharing my personal experience. If you don't like it or have been on that ship with better experience, than congratulations. You must be a better person than me.

I just booked a cruise for Feb 6th and took an aft balcony...this will be gf's first cruise, not sure if I want to tell her about this fire.

Bring chocolate, marshmallows and graham crackers?

(sorry, that was really in poor taste)

Assuming there is major damage, which is the nearest port city that could handle this?

this = ???

What "this" are you referring to?

If you are asking where the repairs can be done, it depends on whether or not the ship needs to go into dry dock. If it does, then San Francisco is the nearest port. If no dry dock is needed, then almost any open dock space will do.

According to Jimbo, I'm an idiot, so you all might want to ignore me. But I do know this ship does NOT stop at San Diego. It goes from Long Beach directly to Puerta Vallarta. But I don't think "rules" apply when there is an emergency. Sorry I don't know international maritime law or all the proper phrases, but I don't think they make a decision what to do during an emergency based on the last port of call.

Like many others, I came here to get information about what is happening with the ship.

Sadly, there are pages and page and pages full of postings with very little to do with the situation.

Too bad so many people think they have to post every little thought that comes into their head.

Or, go off topic or get into trivial arguments. Or try to get an answer to something that NOBODY can answer at this point.

I apologize for adding another post that provides no information.

But that is exactly what this thread is for. Rumors, gossip, wild speculation, conspiracy theories, and pictures from onboard the ship from stuck passengers (who probably haven't yet, 'cause I presume there is little if any communication available from onboard the ship, but I don't really know 'cause I just found this tread so there could be somewhere in the preceeding 22 pages), and of course the occasional relavent link to something useful.

This is a round trip so passport is not required. Iwonder how this will work for the people who what to leave Mexico by plane? Will they bus all of them back to San Diego?

Since the story I saw said they are towing it to Ensenada, then leaving Mexico by plane is not a real good option. Closest airport is Tijuana, but it takes only about 1 more hour to get from Tijuana airport to San Diego, then about 1-1/2 hours to Long Beach. Unless you are from Mexico and want to fly from Tijuana to somewhere in Mexico, coming back into the US is the best bet.

According to Jimbo, I'm an idiot, so you all might want to ignore me. But I do know this ship does NOT stop at San Diego. It goes from Long Beach directly to Puerta Vallarta. But I don't think "rules" apply when there is an emergency. Sorry I don't know international maritime law or all the proper phrases, but I don't think they make a decision what to do during an emergency based on the last port of call.

Gee, I missed where he called you an idiot.:confused:

Then again, your screen name does give one pause...:D

Since the ship did not stop at any port after leaving San Diego, it could return to the San Diego without violating any rules.

Also keep in mind that in an emergency situation such as this those rules are routinely waived. The same goes when a passenger is taken off the ship for a medical emergency -- eventually any fines get waived once the documentation of the situation is submitted.

Okay, there is a part of me who is going "I'd almost be willing to be stuck to see a helicopter relief mission from an aircraft carrier service the ship I am on..."

"The U.S. Navy was also diverting the aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan from training maneuvers to help. A plane was to drop off 35 pallets of supplies on the carrier that will be delivered to the cruise liner by helicopters once the Reagan reaches the area, the Navy said in a statement."

Like many others, I came here to get information about what is happening with the ship.

Sadly, there are pages and page and pages full of postings with very little to do with the situation.

Too bad so many people think they have to post every little thought that comes into their head.

Or, go off topic or get into trivial arguments. Or try to get an answer to something that NOBODY can answer at this point.

I apologize for adding another post that provides no information.

What do you expect on this message board.

We sat in the middle of the Baltic a few years ago for 12 hrs. drifting with the same problem. Most people go with the flow and do what they are told, you will always have some that it was the end of the world.

For each passenger on-board there's a different story and set of circumstances, but I hope that most of them can make lemonaid out of lemons and one day recall when they were on the Splendor the time it had a fire and was adrift in the Pacific. Makes for a good story if nothing else.

Here's to hoping every one of them makes it home safe and well.

For each passenger on-board there's a different story and set of circumstances, but I hope that most of them can make lemonaid out of lemons and one day recall when they were on the Splendor the time it had a fire and was adrift in the Pacific. Makes for a good story if nothing else.

Here's to hoping every one of them makes it home safe and well.

Ditto. Nice post.

Gee, I missed where he called you an idiot.:confused:

Then again, your screen name does give one pause...:D

That is the name I use with my wife. :p It's a great screen name because everyone knows so much more than me on the internet. ;)

My point is that ship gave me bad vibes and has had bad luck in the past. Whether it's my first post or not is irrelevant. Yeah, it has nothing to do with the people stuck on it, but I'm just sharing my experience.

Since this was not a closed loop cruise, I would imagine everyone on board has a passport.

It most certainly was a closed loop cruise. Left Long Beach on Sunday. Planned to dock again in Long Beach the following Sunday.

Poor John Heald! :( He has to deal with all those passengers. Most will be understanding and realize this was beyond anyones control, but you KNOW there will be more than few who will think of this as a personal attack on them and their vacation. :rolleyes: Glad there were no injuries and I hope they get towed into the nearest port safely.

Since the ship did not stop at any port after leaving San Diego, it could return to the San Diego without violating any rules.

The ship did not leave from San Diego, it left from Long Beach (Los Angeles). Thus ending the cruise in San Diego would be a violation of the PVSA.

That is the name I use with my wife. :p It's a great screen name because everyone knows so much more than me on the internet. ;)

My point is that ship gave me bad vibes and has had bad luck in the past. Whether it's my first post or not is irrelevant. Yeah, it has nothing to do with the people stuck on it, but I'm just sharing my experience.

Fair point, I re-tract the 1st post comment.;)

Archived