Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

The news here in Michigan has had this Splendor story on a couple of times today, the most recent report was it would be back hoping tomorrow evening and there is no hot water or AC, plumbing is working. (sounds about what others posters have heard or read)

I feel for the people on board~ crew and passengers. No one could've planned for a situation like this nor is their blame to be placed. I wish them a safe return. I hope that 100% of them are able to sail again safely in the near future.

I sailed the Destiny last week and I thought one day of cloudy cooler weather was a downer. I now realize I should be very thankful and that I am.

I will be relieved to hear the ship makes it to dock and it will be most interesting to hear of passengers "cruise stories".

Using the best sea charts I could find online, it looks like about 430 miles tow to Long Beach. With calm seas and same pace, you would have to assume 5.5 days, so passengers on board is a definite no no.

My mapping is showing approx 145 nm from Ensenada to Long Beach.

Still, that is around 2-3 days with a 4 knot tow job.

Craig

MKE

Read on Carnival's site that there is no AC, no phone service and no hot meals for passengers. They were able to restore water so that the toilet systems are running and there is use of cold water.

Also read that the passengers will be getting a full refund, plus reimbursement for any additional transportation costs. Additionally they will receive a free cruise voucher in the amount of the cruise cost.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Don't get me wrong, sucks that their much awaited vacation was cut short and they are going through all this, but I would totally be happy with that compensation!

It was until they added spam to the mix. Now I think the passengers are entitled to pain and suffering.

"Eternal Father, Strong to save,

Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,

Who bid'st the mighty Ocean deep

Its own appointed limits keep;

O hear us when we cry to thee,

for those in peril on the sea."

Let us all just be thankful that all pax and crew are safe. I've experienced fire at sea...... Kudos to the professional mariners and engineers of the Splendor for averting what could have been a terrible disaster.

no

I don't think so

I think this is all electrical and the original fire tore up the switch boards

a ship such as this loosing one generator is an inconvienence .. all the ship's power and all the ship's systems are electric. Loss of one of many generators means slow down . . . loss of distribution on the other hand

loosing the switchboard knocks out the ship . . .

but my opinion is only based on being the master of a ship in the ocean . . .

That's why the power plant is diveide in 2 with 2 swhitchboard and brakers ;)

No, because the ship is going to dock in Ensenada. This isn't even a closed loop cruise. Those without passports are going to be delayed before getting back home.

I think that they will be making an exception for them in this case.

They boarded what is considered a closed loop cruise. This will be about 50 to 60 buses if you figure 50 people per bus. Not sure what the capacity will be. I wonder if they will get to stop somewhere for lunch on the way back.

No they won't. US customs will clear the ship in Ensenada just as if it went back to Long Beach and then bus them home ins "sealed" buses. They will not even stop at the border.

No, that is not correct ...

Will passengers not carrying passports have trouble crossing the U.S.-Mexico border?

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) states that while passengers on "closed loop" cruises (itineraries that sail roundtrip from the same U.S. homeport and only visit destinations in the Western Hemisphere) do not need passports, anyone crossing the border from Mexico into the U.S. by land needs a passport or other WHTI-compliant document (birth certificates and driver's licenses won't do). When asked how Splendor passengers not carrying passports will be able to cross the border by bus, Gulliksen told Cruise Critic that "we're working with the proper authorities to address this situation."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4213

No they won't. US customs will clear the ship in Ensenada just as if it went back to Long Beach and then bus them home ins "sealed" buses. They will not even stop at the border.

I hope you are right. I am going down there with my company to get guests on buses and drive them back to Long Beach. We have to bring our passports.

I think that they will be making an exception for them in this case.

Will passengers not carrying passports have trouble crossing the U.S.-Mexico border?

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) states that while passengers on "closed loop" cruises (itineraries that sail roundtrip from the same U.S. homeport and only visit destinations in the Western Hemisphere) do not need passports, anyone crossing the border from Mexico into the U.S. by land needs a passport or other WHTI-compliant document (birth certificates and driver's licenses won't do). When asked how Splendor passengers not carrying passports will be able to cross the border by bus, Gulliksen told Cruise Critic that "we're working with the proper authorities to address this situation."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4213

what would high pressure fire hoses spraying salt water do?

Until you shut off the power source ... one heck of a lot of damage

ship-board damage control 1-0-1

as was determined after the sinking of a 'cruise ship' pier side in Cape Canaveral many years ago... ship fire fighting and shore fighting have very different 'factors' to concider.

I was just at the port in Ensenada 2 weeks ago with the Carnival Spirit and I can tell you it is not an easy port to dock in. My husband and I sat on our balcony and watched with marvel at how they manuver those huge ships thru such a narrow area. With no power this is going to be an unbelievable feat. We also watched the Golden Princess unload an entire cruise ship in less that 2 hours and send people in buses back to LA. I once disembarked in Ensenada after a Princess cruise and was bused back to San Diego, and it can be trying at best....................and I cant even imagine doing it after such an ordeal. I cant wait to see the responses here on CC from those that returned. I am cruising on the Disney Wonder in January, and I must admit............this all has me feeling a tad anxious.

The news here in Michigan has had this Splendor story on a couple of times today,......

All the stories I've seen on the TV have been almost word for word of what Carnival put out on its official release. The only outside people that have any real information on the status is the Navy, Coast Guard, and the Carnival head office.

I see you also posted on the PVSA thread (post 3 64) ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1001020&highlight=pvsa&page=4

You had no clue what you where talking about then, and I see that hasn't change any since.

Read post # 205 ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1001020&highlight=pvsa&page=11

I call BS on all these posts that say they would just love to be on this cruise. I really can't wait to hear from some passengers that were on board to hear what it was really like.

Believe me, there are some terrible jobs out there where I can believe this to be true. Not everyone has the pleasure of a decent job. I have plenty of people under me at work who work on the average of a 15 hour day. No break. They are on their feet the whole time making sure their job is getting done correctly. I would bet any of these people who work this type of job would not care where they were as long as they were off work. Don't tell them to go get another job, because there is nothing out there in my neck of the woods.

Eating cold food and going to the bathroom in a bucket for a few days is not going to kill anyone. Doesn't anyone camp anymore??

No, because the ship is going to dock in Ensenada. This isn't even a closed loop cruise. Those without passports are going to be delayed before getting back home.

I think under the circumstances, that the people without passports will only have to show their birth certificates and another piece of I.D. My sister's passport was stolen in Mexico and she did not realize it until she got to the border and all they asked her for was a copy of her birth certificate and another piece of photo ID. They then instructed her to get a replacement of her passport as soon as she could. BTW, this just happened 2 weeks ago.

I call BS on all these posts that say they would just love to be on this cruise. I really can't wait to hear from some passengers that were on board to hear what it was really like.

Then call it on me. Id be one who would enjoy what was going on.

I think it might depend somewhat on how much you cruise. If you are doing half a dozen cruises a year or even more, something out of the ordinary can be fun. ... as long as I wasnt in harms way or my stuff.

Archived