Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

I found a few pictures of the relief efforts and the Splendor just sitting there in the water.

Enjoy,

Scott

Thanks for the link. Our son is on the Regan. Haven't seen him for almost a year now (since we went on the Splendor January 9th the day before we left) and don't see him in the pictures either. Darn.

Why all the debate about customs? Are there really people here that think US citizens will be denied entry into the U.S. because they do not have passports? Come on now. Drivers license, birth certificates, social security cards will all work in this case. It's not like the border workers are not expecting these poor people in giant Carnival rented convoy.

Can we find another horse to beat on please?

beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

Daily special cups are all over the place. Again, they all look like stock photos. Why would somebody in an official capacity post these perfect professional photographs on flicker?

I thought the same thing so I downloaded one. When I checked the properties I found that they were taken today.

Eating cold food and going to the bathroom in a bucket for a few days is not going to kill anyone. Doesn't anyone camp anymore??
This isn't camp. There are no woods to do your business in or a lake to splash around in. I doubt the pools are even open because they can't be filtered. This is nothing like a campground so I don't know how or why the two can be compared. And I certainly don't want a "bucket" sitting around in my cabin.

I wonder how they are actually feeding people. Sending them in shifts to the dining rooms or up to the buffet? Sending them to the closest dining room to their cabin? There may be many people who can't navigate the stairs to get to either depending on where their cabin is located. I hope the stewards are checking on passengers to make sure they can get what they need.

I call BS on all these posts that say they would just love to be on this cruise. I really can't wait to hear from some passengers that were on board to hear what it was really like.

I totally agree. I'm usually one of those "come on people, you gotta go with the flow" type person. I've even been called a Pollyanna, lol. This situation is not a catastrophe or a tragedy. I myself would try hard to make the best of it. But it sounds like a huge bummer, imo. I can't even imagine the hassles they'll be dealing with trying to get home once they arrive. NOT a vacation- no way, no how.

Why all the debate about customs? Are there really people here that think US citizens will be denied entry into the U.S. because they do not have passports? Come on now. Drivers license, birth certificates, social security cards will all work in this case. It's not like the border workers are not expecting these poor people in giant Carnival rented convoy.

Can we find another horse to beat on please?

beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

That is what I was wondering!!!!

Sounds like a bunch of lawyers.... BORING...:D

1) Refunds for all passengers at an average price per person of $800 equal about 4 Million dollars X 2 (free additional cruise for everyone) total 8 Million.

2) Transportation costs of everyone and flight changes etc maybe another 1/2 million.

3) Food spoilage another 1/4 million

4) Towing to port another million at least

5) Lost net revenues for all cancelled future cruises another million but maybe much more depending on how many cruises are axed.

6) Repairs to the ship (who knows how much)

Plus other variables in the equation this fire could cost CCL upwards of 15 million dollars or maybe more.

I wonder what would of happened if this happened in the 70's when Carnival just started with a few boats. (makes you wonder if they would be around today)

You mention costs related to the fire, but I wonder if Carnival has insurance for this type of situation.

When you compare the 15 million to the cost of a new ship its not much at all. The Oasis/RCL cost over a billion to build.

As a shareholder it will be interesting to see what the bottom line is at the end of the quarter.

They just showed a clip of her taken from a chopper - bummer that they are stranded in that area - the seas were NOT comfortable coming back from Cabo last November...looks like they've got some chop going on....and one of the tugboats has some mechanical difficulty -- looks like the Splendor won't reach land until late tomorrow night!

Eating cold food and going to the bathroom in a bucket for a few days is not going to kill anyone. Doesn't anyone camp anymore??

No, it won't "kill" anyone. But "going to the bathroom in a bucket for a few days", eating cold food, (spam, canned crab meat and pop tarts, according to news photos and reports), and the other numerous hassles and inconveniences these people are experiencing is not a cruise vacation. These people didn't sign up for a primitive camping trip, they've been looking forward to a cruise experience. It's setting the bar pretty low when you're supposed to be happy to be on the cruise ship as long as it doesn't "kill you.":rolleyes:

I totally agree. I'm usually one of those "come on people, you gotta go with the flow" type person. I've even been called a Pollyanna, lol. This situation is not a catastrophe or a tragedy. I myself would try hard to make the best of it. But it sounds like a huge bummer, imo. I can't even imagine the hassles they'll be dealing with trying to get home once they arrive. NOT a vacation- no way, no how.

Totally agree -- and if even Carnival is admitting to the press that the passengers are experiencing "trying" conditions? You can only IMAGINE.....

No, it won't "kill" anyone. But "going to the bathroom in a bucket for a few days", eating cold food, (spam, canned crab meat and pop tarts, according to news photos and reports), and the other numerous hassles and inconveniences these people are experiencing is not a cruise vacation. These people didn't sign up for a primitive camping trip, they've been looking forward to a cruise experience. It's setting the bar pretty low when you're supposed to be happy to be on the cruise ship as long as it doesn't "kill you.":rolleyes:

LOL! Notice that too:confused::D

Thanks for the link. Our son is on the Regan. Haven't seen him for almost a year now (since we went on the Splendor January 9th the day before we left) and don't see him in the pictures either. Darn.

Hi Broncofans, You must really like the Splendor since you have been on her twice and is booked a third time. I was suppose to sail with you last January, but I took sick the a couple of days before and ended up in the hospital. Did you enjoy the cruise, I have booked her again for next Halloween. Please thank your son for serving in our military and also thank him for helping the people who are on the Splendor right now.

Our local news was just on.

They stated that they should arrive around 8PM to Ensenada, and that one of the tugs from Mexico had broken down. The tug was fixed and is now on the way again.

Once hooked up to the tugs, they can pull 2 to 3 miles per hour. They also said that they would be bussed to Long Beach.

The video looked like the water had white caps.

Splendor Bride: Hugs to you. It appears that the Nov 14 trip is indeed cancelled. At least you have the option of choosing another Carnival ship during the timeframe of your wedding. If that doesn't work out, you might consider getting the full refund and having your wedding at an all-inclusive resort in the Carribbean - Sandals does a great job on weddings as do many other all-inclusives. Best wishes to you and your intended. I hate that this happened to you, but once the dust has settled and your plans are reconfigured, I think you will look back on this incident and laugh. I know wherever you go, whatever you do, you will have a beautiful wedding no matter what. :)

CARNIVAL SPLENDOR - NOVEMBER 14, 2010

November 9, 2010

Dear Carnival Guest:

The Carnival Splendor experienced a fire in the engine room on the sailing that departed Sunday, November 7, 2010. The fire was extinguished and there were no injuries to our guests or crew. As a result of the fire, we must cancel the November 14, 2010 voyage in order for necessary repairs to be completed. We know how much you were looking forward to sailing with us and we sincerely apologize for this disruption to your vacation plans.

We recognize that vacations are important and our team is standing by to help you find another Carnival cruise that works with your schedule.

Here are your options:

• Reschedule immediately on another voyage - we have a wide variety of options for you.

• Cancel and have us hold your payment for any future Carnival cruise departing within 24 months.

• Cancel and receive a full refund, inclusive of Carnival's air supplement, optional land packages, Vacation Protection Plan and government fees and taxes. No further action on your part is necessary, as refunds will automatically be processed in three weeks.

In addition, we will provide you with a 25% discount on any future 2-7 day Carnival cruise.

If you purchased independent air transportation and need to make changes to accommodate a new departure, we will reimburse up to $200 per person (via a refundable on board credit) for airline change fees so long as documentation is provided. If you purchased non-refundable independent air and are unable to reschedule your cruise, please send documentation regarding your airline expenses to our Guest Admin Department, fax# 305-406-6477 so that we may refund the cost of your ticket.

We request you contact our Guest Services Department at 1-800-CARNIVAL or your Personal Vacation Planner at 1-800-819-3902, or your travel agent with your preference as soon as possible.

Again, we apologize for the cancellation of this cruise. We would love the opportunity to welcome you on another Carnival ship.

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

As a former crew member on board the Carnival Splendor, all I can say is my thoughts go out towards all the crew and guests, I know this is a trying time. I know the crew will be working as hard as they possibly can to make the best of such a horrible situation.

I agree with you fully, and I think all of them should get a huge bonus in their paychecks from Carnival. The reason that I say this, is because the crew will not worry about themselves, their first concern will be to make sure the passengers are happy. They should also be compensated for the deplorable conditions that they will have to suffer in their cabins with no A/C to circulate the air.

Hat's off to the crew from the Captain down to even the newest member of the crew.

Hi Broncofans, You must really like the Splendor since you have been on her twice and is booked a third time. I was suppose to sail with you last January, but I took sick the a couple of days before and ended up in the hospital. Did you enjoy the cruise, I have booked her again for next Halloween. Please thank your son for serving in our military and also thank him for helping the people who are on the Splendor right now.

Yes, we remember you from the roll call from the last cruise. You were going to bring the book, Cruise Confidential. We really missed you at the meet and greet and were worried about you. I'm so sorry you were ill and missed that cruise. We did have a good time and were planning on taking our other son and his wife this time. Hope it all works out.

Jennifer

Thank you, but my cruise isn't until 12/19. When I spoke to the Carnvial rep (about 2:00 pm pst today) she told me that the 11/14 cruise hadn't been cancelled, but it had been. They are not getting their information out to their own people, which scares me on how they will get information out to their guests. When I called last night about it the carnival rep I spoke to didn't even know there had been a fire. I know this is beyond their control and I understand what they are going through. I just wish they would keep their people up to date a bit better. I totally love cruising on Carnival, and will continue to, I just wish they would tell me "they don't know" instead of pacifing me with "things will be fine" script. That makes me more nervous.

I asked about switching to the Spirit on the same day out of San Diego, but she didn't want to check availability for our group....yet. I'm not being a Bridezilla, I just want to be prepared with a plan B.

Archived