If you didn't qualify for the mariner luggage tags, but want them...

pgphoto

Just got off the Eurodam on Saturday. Met a couple who received their tags. The woman's tag broke before they made it to Ft. Lauderdale from Indiana; the man's didn't hold up well. Tried to get replacements in FLL from HAL but no luck. Just sayin'..........

Don't think about putting them on until just before getting to the pier. Not made for flying. The mania over these tags is more "somebody got something free and I didn't get it" than anything else. We got them and didn't qualify, so they seem to originally been sent out randomly. I doubt HAL ever in a million years expected anyone to be upset they didn't get them.

... more "somebody got something free and I didn't get it" than anything else.
We haven't used ours yet, but I like the ability to just trim the print-your-own tag page and slip them into these re-usable holders ... if they last.

My dear friend and I have an equal number of days on HAL (36 or so) and I received a set of tags while she did not.

For our upcoming cruise on the Veendam, I am giving her two of the tags sent to me.

They do not look as though they will hold up to airline handling, so I plan to install them on the day we go to the pier.

We haven't used ours yet, but I like the ability to just trim the print-your-own tag page and slip them into these re-usable holders ... if they last.

They don't. Once upon a time luggage tags of the same material and thickness were given as Trivia prizes. They were split in half within one trip (on average). I went through a lot of them.

Eventually, the Trivia prize luggage tags were constructed differently. HAL realized the old ones weren't any good.

These special tags will look nice on carry-ons.

I'm with you Ruth, I think they are pretty. I am glad to be able to put the paper tags into vinyl, as maybe they won't run if it rains? I have no confidence in anything printed off my printer! Everything looks like tie dye if it gets wet! I'll just load them at home, and put them inside my luggage until I get to the port city. I always put my itinerary inside my luggage, anyway...

From what I have heard they are very cheap and very flimsy. One would think that HAL would provide something other than the usual freebee trash and trinket handouts for their loyal customers.

That's a good one! I think their coasters and "medals" belong in that catagory too. I can't understand when people get so excited about them. There was a couple on my last cruise that held up their 100 day medal so everyone could be jealous over it. I think it burst their bubble when I told them I had 200 days....and my 100 day medal had never seen the light of day since I got it.

HAL is a very fortunate cruise line. They are able to put together customer retention programs for absolutely no money and the regular customers seem to love it. A medal???, a lunch that you have essentially already paid for???, a 50 cent luggage tag??. And some of HAL's customers seem to drool over this stuff. Perhaps I am spoiled by some of the hotel, airline, and credit card customer retention programs that offer something of real value to me. I would like to see Hilton, Fairmont, or Marriott entice me or other travellers to be a frequent customer by giving out a medalion or a luggage tag. Maybe HAL could really up the ante and send out a calendar to their gold level clients.

Upgrades, free cruises, dollars off cruises, are what would turn my crank.

HAL is a very fortunate cruise line. They are able to put together customer retention programs for absolutely no money and the regular customers seem to love it. A medal???, a lunch that you have essentially already paid for???, a 50 cent luggage tag??. And some of HAL's customers seem to drool over this stuff. Perhaps I am spoiled by some of the hotel, airline, and credit card customer retention programs that offer something of real value to me. I would like to see Hilton, Fairmont, or Marriott entice me or other travellers to be a frequent customer by giving out a medalion or a luggage tag. Maybe HAL could really up the ante and send out a calendar to their gold level clients.

Agreed...their recongnition program isn't much but it's better then it was before. What is does is generate more income for them although there are a few things I like. I don't think they'll do any of the things you mentioned as it will be too costly.

... There was a couple on my last cruise that held up their 100 day medal so everyone could be jealous over it. I think it burst their bubble when I told them I had 200 days....and my 100 day medal had never seen the light of day since I got it.

I am wondering if the couple was just happy and proud to have reached an important milestone, and wanted to share their joy with those around them? I will never reach that many cruising days, but am pleased for those who do.

I treasure the goals I have been able to achieve in other areas of my life, and would regret someone diminishing those special moments.

That's a good one! I think their coasters and "medals" belong in that catagory too. I can't understand when people get so excited about them. There was a couple on my last cruise that held up their 100 day medal so everyone could be jealous over it. I think it burst their bubble when I told them I had 200 days....and my 100 day medal had never seen the light of day since I got it.

I totally agree! The trinkets just are not that exciting! I like nice watches so if they start giving those out I'm interested! lol....

Jeff

For many of us, our loyalty is not about the trinkets or lunch 'we've essentially paid for' but rather is about the cruises and ships and crews. We don't repeatedly sail HAL because of 'stuff'. We sail them because of what we enjoy when on the ships.

Most of us who travel belong to other loyalty retention programs and certainly are able to compare benefits. What good are benefits if the product is not what one seeks?

I am wondering if the couple was just happy and proud to have reached an important milestone, and wanted to share their joy with those around them? I will never reach that many cruising days, but am pleased for those who do.

I treasure the goals I have been able to achieve in other areas of my life, and would regret someone diminishing those special moments.

I agree the couple was happy and proud and enjoying their milestone. They had all the fun of all those cruises to celebrate and had just been recognized for achieving a Medallion Level. It's a cruise and they were enjoying theirs. :) Where's the harm?

No, they were holding them out as if "look at us" .... "you can do this too". If spending enough money to "earn" a medal is important to you or others, so be it. I'm more interested in goals that I've reached such as being able to support myself, putting myself through school while working and making a fairly comfortable life for myself as important goals. My parents didn't have 2 nickles to rub together so these are goals that are important to me. To me, spending enough money to get a 100 day medal isn't an important milestone or a special moment.

Many here can be proud of their 'real life achievements' as well.

No need for us all to tell our personal stories but we all have one. ;)

Where's the harm in someone enjoying their moment of having been recognized for a lot of cruising? :D There are worse things they could have done IMO

Many here can be proud of their 'real life achievements' as well.

No need for us all to tell our personal stories but we all have one. ;)

Where's the harm in someone enjoying their moment of having been recognized for a lot of cruising? :D There are worse things they could have done IMO

Really...do we all have personal stories:D. Thx for letting me know that;). It's not a lot of crusing really. They were holding up their medal to everyone at the table and showing it like it was something no one has ever seen. Plenty of people have them...it's no big deal. I'd rather hear of a personal goal reached...not how much money people have spent on cruising....bragging about how much money you've spent on crusing doesn't do it for me. YMMV.

I agree the couple was happy and proud and enjoying their milestone. They had all the fun of all those cruises to celebrate and had just been recognized for achieving a Medallion Level. It's a cruise and they were enjoying theirs. :) Where's the harm?

Yes, that's what it sounds like to me, too. Good for them! :)

They don't. Once upon a time luggage tags of the same material and thickness were given as Trivia prizes. They were split in half within one trip (on average). I went through a lot of them.

Eventually, the Trivia prize luggage tags were constructed differently. HAL realized the old ones weren't any good.

We got 4 of them, used them on the cruise..didn't have air. They are pretty thick plastic or something. I think the only thing that might be faulty at some point would be the "jelly" bands to fasten them to the luggage.

Really...do we all have personal stories:D. Thx for letting me know that;). It's not a lot of crusing really. They were holding up their medal to everyone at the table and showing it like it was something no one has ever seen. Plenty of people have them...it's no big deal. I'd rather hear of a personal goal reached...not how much money people have spent on cruising....bragging about how much money you've spent on crusing doesn't do it for me. YMMV.

Our dinner companions had a balcony cabin on deck 5. They just like cruising. They don't even have 25 days under their belts, but on this last cruise Patty sent Captain Scott a letter telling him that HAL did a wonderful thing by helping out the St. Lucia folks after 100% of their agriculture got destroyed by Hurricane Tomas and HAL giving them tons and tons of water which they were without.

Capt. Scott apparently was touched by the letter and he sent them H'orderves and tea to their cabin from that day until the end of the cruise..every day. I think that was a very nice thing for him to do and it was probably the best reward they ever had from a cruiseline. I think they enjoyed it more than they would have a pin.

Kudos to Capt. Scott and his staff. I think this must have given them a very good reason to be loyal to HAL.

I agree too. We recently got our copper medallions on the Nieuw Amsterdam (yes, I was surprised they were still giving them out too) and we didn't look at it as an "achievement" nor a "reward for having spent so much money", because we never had it as a "goal" in the first place. As you say, it's a milestone marker in our memories of life, but that's all.

Archived