How to get around with a one year old?

niki1785

DH and I are hoping to book a cruise for this coming March, the same month our DS will be 1 year old. I'm concerned that if we do book one we won't be able to get around the ports because we won't have a carseat for our DS. Can he travel on our lap on a tour bus?

We were thinking of departing from NYC and heading to Port Canaveral, FL and then hoping to go to Disney from there. I know it would be about an hours drive from the port to Disney and I don't know how we'd get there with our son. Not looking to go through the hassel of renting a car with a carseat.

Any input is appreciated. Not sure if it's worth it to cruise with such a little one. We're so used to just getting to a port and going to do our own thing. I know we'll be limited with what we do this time around, but I'm not sure how limited!!

Thanks in advance!

The law in Florida isn't completely clear on that. There are a few exceptions to the car seat requirement, including public transportation, but private vans, shuttles, and buses are not mentioned in the exceptions list.

I have to be honest and say that I'd be really concerned about having him as a lap baby on the ride from Canavaral to Orlando. It's a pretty long ride, 40 or 50 miles, on a very busy highway (528, I think). I certainly understand why you would rather not go through the fuss of renting a car with a car seat, but what about a limo service or private taxi, both can have a car seat arranged for you. Yes, it would be more expensive, but so very much safer and perhaps more convenient than being tied to a tour and tour bus with a 1-y/o.

beachchick

Just book cruise line transfers to the port. It will take a little organization on your part (or a TAs) so it might just be easier to take the car seat. ;)

Here is how it can be done. You are going to Disney. So you get Disney Magic Express for free from airport to Disney hotel? (this is just an assumption that you are booking a Disney resort)

So your travel plan would look like this...

--Airport to Resort - Magic Express (Bus)

After you are done with Disney...

--From Resort back to Airport -- Magic Express

--Cruiseline Transfers to Port (Bus)

UNLESS you are doing a Disney cruise. Then your Disney cruise transfer can pick you up at a Disney resort hotel.

And when you are on your cruise you will have to walk around the port or make sure that your excursions use a bus. My thoughts, bring the car seat. :p

We cruised in September and brought our big Britax car seat with us. We drove to the cruise terminal and put the car seat into a backpack carrier when we got there. We were renting cars in 2 of the ports and I was not comfortable renting car seats. For the 2 ports where we had cars, my husband carried the seat off in the giant backpack, caught the rental car shuttle by himself, picked up the car and installed the car seat, and then drove back to the pier to pick us up. On the way back, he would drop us off at the pier, and the return the car and carry the seat back on the ship. It took some extra planning, but it was the only option we were comfortable with.

We've also used the backpack to take her car seat through the airport and on the plane (my daughter always has her own seat so we can take the car seat on the plane). Then, my husband goes ahead to get the rental car and installs the car seat before he comes back to the airport to pick us up and then when we leave, he drops us off at the airport and then returns the car. Again, it takes some extra time and planning, but it works for us.

Our opinion: 2 years old girl who we have taken to Hawaii, Cancun, a cruise, and a few other statewide flights. We have always taken the car seat. It has not been a problem, especially if you coordinate with a stroller like the ORBIT which combines car seat and stroller together. We generally rent a car where we go and move around on our own pace,, no idea how it would work on a tour bus.

Is it an extra piece of luggage, yes, is it fun to lug around no.

BUT I could not imagine traveling without a car seat, for my work I have seen what happens to little ones when they go flying. Just not an option for us.

JLSMITH24 has a great system that shows how you can adapt and still have fun.

Anything else we could answer let us know

98 days to Ruby Princess

Thanks everyone. First baby and we have no idea how traveling is done yet on vacation! I guess nothing is easy with a little one. I honestly had no idea what we were going to to once we got to the destinations. Seems like renting a car and bringing our own car seat would be the best way to get around, and avoiding the tour buses altogether.

However, we're starting to think we may just want to do a caribbean cruise from NY to San Juan, Tortola, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and avoid traveling from from the ship at all. I think it may just be easier to shop/walk to beaches if anything is close to the pier. If nothing is close we think we'll just spend a day enjoying having the ship mostly to ourselves.

I appreciate the responses!

Archived