Cruise ship in a storm

Talli

We are flying out tomorrow morning for our first cruise ever! We cruise on Sunday and of course my husband is looking at ships that have been in storms and captured on video. I'm not sure why he's looking at this stuff before we leave but he showed me this video and I had to share.... It gets really scary looking at about the 50 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMk6D11FAhg

Happy Cruising Everyone!

Talli

We are flying out tomorrow morning for our first cruise ever! We cruise on Sunday and of course my husband is looking at ships that have been in storms and captured on video. I'm not sure why he's looking at this stuff before we leave but he showed me this video and I had to share.... It gets really scary looking at about the 50 second mark.

Happy Cruising Everyone!

Talli

That is a tiny little boat. Don't worry, you'll be fine. No smoking in the engine room though.

That is a tiny little boat. Don't worry, you'll be fine. No smoking in the engine room though.

Eh, I'm not worried. I know we will be fine, and will have a GREAT cruise! I just thought I would share video since both DH and I thought it was interesting :D.

Talli

Happy Cruising Everyone!

Talli

Fun times were had by all!!!! :D

Depending on the storm, be prepared to get seasick for the first time. That happen to me on my 2nd cruise on the glory leaving from Boston,MA heading to the home port of NYC. Sailed through rough weather which caused me to get that bad crappy feeling of seasickness for the first time

YIKES! That looked pretty scary! But it was a rather small ship...but then again the newer HUGE ships that are coming out look pretty darn top heavy to me. But, at least the cruise lines we have here do a pretty good job of staying out of storm's way usually.

But I really wouldn't have wanted to be on that ship. I'd rather have been on the Splendor.

That's the M/V Voyager. She's fairly small at 591 feet. At the time she was owned by Horizon Navigation and was chartered to IberoCruise. She lost power and that's the actual reason she was getting tossed about in those high seas.

By the way, pretty much all of the injuries were treated on the ship and the vessel was returned to service quickly.

:)

We did 30ft seas on Rhapsody of the Seas in hurricane Michelle, 2001. If you want an all day aerobic workout, this is the way. Just walking proved a challenge during the day. No one was allowed outside.

The wildest thing was being in an outside cabin with the recessed port holes for windows, Deck 2. The waves would come up over our cabin and fill the windows with water, then recede back down some 50 of so feet. Then back up filling the port hole windows again. That freaked us out at first.

I don't get seasick and it made it a different and fun day.

Though I wouldn't want to do it every day on a 7 day cruise.

Depending on the storm, be prepared to get seasick for the first time. That happen to me on my 2nd cruise on the glory leaving from Boston,MA heading to the home port of NYC. Sailed through rough weather which caused me to get that bad crappy feeling of seasickness for the first time

I don't think that many people get sick regardless. I've been on plenty of rough seas and haven't spoken with anyone that has ever gotten sick.

There is some video out there of a Carnival cruise ship (two ships I think) riding out a hurricane at sea.I think it was off NOLA or Mobile. No passengers were aboard but if there were, that would have been one wild ride! Maybe someone has the link to that video.

As long as the ship uses the stabilizers, it generally glides across the waves like our last cruise 2 weeks ago. However if it doesn't like our cruise one year ago, we were holding on to everything while the ship was trying to get behind a NorEaster storm. All depends on the Captain and the money they have and who is on board. We had mostly elderly on this past cruise and hardly felt anything even though the Captain said it was going to be rough.

I don't think that many people get sick regardless. I've been on plenty of rough seas and haven't spoken with anyone that has ever gotten sick.

WHAT?? Then you've never been in really rough seas. Rhapsody felt deserted while hurricane Michelle was in the gulf.

They had barf bags tied to all the staircases. For dinner there were so few diners, they just put the few that showed up in one small area.

I had dinner in the buffet and it was practically empty.

The crew said over half the passengers were sick or not feeling well.

The next day after the seas calmed, I talked with many fellow passengers who never even came out of their cabins because they were so sick.

I was on The Inspiration in the Gulf of Mexico in Hurricane Katrina. We had 30' swells when we left the port in Cozumel. Carnival re-routed us to Ft. Lauderdale instead of Tampa and had buses take us back to Tampa. It was not a fun time as I, along with many others, were green riding those waves, was so happy when we docked. Must say Carnival was great during that scenario.

Eh, I'm not worried. I know we will be fine, and will have a GREAT cruise! I just thought I would share video since both DH and I thought it was interesting :D.

Talli

Good for you. Enjoy your first cruise and make sure to write a review when you come back.

I did 25 foot swells on a Holland America ship. What I thought was funny was on the railings in the public areas were trays and trays of barf bags hanging for your use. At dinner if you looked out the starboard windows you would see all ocean and then look out of the port windows, nothing but sky. Back and forth. Moslty you didn't see too many get sick though, if any. Now on a CCL ship we hit 15 foot swells and the public bathrooms were,,well let's say unusable (I'll never forget the look on the face of the poor crew member standing inside trying to keep up). Too many people pounding down the drinks of the day befire we hit the storm. The DOD made them pay dearly. But that was an older ship (Paradise),,the newer ships I am sure have better stabilizers.

YIKES! That looked pretty scary! But it was a rather small ship...but then again the newer HUGE ships that are coming out look pretty darn top heavy to me. But, at least the cruise lines we have here do a pretty good job of staying out of storm's way usually.

But I really wouldn't have wanted to be on that ship. I'd rather have been on the Splendor.

I said the same thing to my family. Those big mega ships look top heavy. I"m sure they are perfectly safe, though.

We sailed on the Glory 9/11 and the last sea day (heading from Boston to NYC) we awoke to Thunder and Lightening at about 5-6am... from there on strong seas. We had caught the tail end of the tornado that hit NYC. Lots of sick people that day.. and hand rails were in full use! BFF took gravol and then slept.. i hit the fish and chips stand for ginger :D all good!

WHAT?? Then you've never been in really rough seas. Rhapsody felt deserted while hurricane Michelle was in the gulf.

They had barf bags tied to all the staircases. For dinner there were so few diners, they just put the few that showed up in one small area.

I had dinner in the buffet and it was practically empty.

The crew said over half the passengers were sick or not feeling well.

The next day after the seas calmed, I talked with many fellow passengers who never even came out of their cabins because they were so sick.

Trust me, I've seen plenty of rough seas both on a cruise ship and a small cat.

There is a great deal of difference between rough seas and a hurricane.

That's the M/V Voyager. She's fairly small at 591 feet. At the time she was owned by Horizon Navigation and was chartered to IberoCruise. She lost power and that's the actual reason she was getting tossed about in those high seas.

By the way, pretty much all of the injuries were treated on the ship and the vessel was returned to service quickly.

:)

Actually, Host Mach, that's not M/V Voyager, but her sister M/V Explorer, ship currently serving as Semester at Sea. The incident occurred in the North Pacific. This from Wikipedia:

On January 26, 2005, the MV Explorer weathered a storm in the north Pacific in which a large wave smashed the windows of the bridge, breaking one of them, and briefly affecting the navigation systems. While the vessel underwent repairs in Honolulu, Hawaii, Semester at Sea students flew to Hong Kong to continue their courses. The MV Explorer rejoined the students in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, and continued on to circumnavigate the globe and complete the semester without further incident.[8] The ordeal is documented in an episode of the Weather Channel television series Full Force Nature, complete with home video taken by the students during the storm. Later that year, safety concerns resulting from the incident were among the reasons cited by the University of Pittsburgh for ending its 24-year academic sponsorship of the program.[9]

EM

Archived