Pilots urged to avoid body scanning

Sargent_Schultz

What do you think of the full body scanners?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the full body scanners?

• I have no issues with being scanned
    • I have medical issues with being scanned
    • I have privacy issues with being scanned
    • I have issues
    • I don't do polls
    • Other - Specify in the thread

This is why I am glad I live in Florida!! I stopped flying anywhere when most airlines instituted the pay-for-your-baggage garbage. I have 5 ports I can cruise from with the longest being a 4 hour drive away and the closest being a mere 1 hour away. When I book a cruise, I don't need the aggravation the airlines PROVIDE to my vacation!

As a frequent, frequent flyer (looking to finish at over 350 segments this year) I opt for the pat-down every time. I think of it as a date.:D I read this http://www.salon.com/technology/ask_the_pilot/2010/11/10/airport_security/index.html this week, and I have to agree with the author. Security has morphed into theatre of the absurd, with all these huge gaps, which somehow seem to lull the travelling public that they are, indeed, safe.

What's next? http://www.strategypage.com/downloads/iedsrectalcavities.pdf Are we ready to submit to a DRE before boarding?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin (1759)

Scott.

As a frequent, frequent flyer (looking to finish at over 350 segments this year) I opt for the pat-down every time.

True road-warrior...with lots of wear & tear short segments, I assume.

Good for refusing the radiation scan. That's my choice as well - and I haven't been groped in the privates....yet.

FWIW, there is National Opt-Out day, which could throw havoc into the system on the day before USA T'giving. Google for details.

I'll chose the manual over the xray any day. It has nothing to do with modesty; I simply prefer to not have any added or unnecessary radiation. If you've had a few CT scans, you know what I mean.

I was in Holland about 10 years ago and they did a thorough "pat down" on me and my mother-in-law. I thought it was a bit unusual because we both are middle aged/elderly women but I allowed them to do their job and just brushed it off as a minor nuisance.

I would like to hear some feed-back as to whether this process has actually caught anyone or has it so far only been a deterrent.

Good for refusing the radiation scan. That's my choice as well - and I haven't been groped in the privates....yet.

FWIW, there is National Opt-Out day, which could throw havoc into the system on the day before USA T'giving. Google for details.

http://www.optoutday.com/

Exposure to radiation :confused:

Oh Please. I work in the x-ray radiation industry. Your exposed to as much radiation (from the sun) when flying as you recieve during a routine chest x-ray.

A non professional (civilian) is allowed exposure up to 50 mrem per year. A professional is allowed up to 500mrem of exposure per year.

You may notice that in hospitals and clinics that x-ray professionals are wearing radiation monitoring badges. These badges are not even worn by TSA employee's. Why? Because the amount of radiation produced by these systems are so minimal as to not be significant.

Now, if you still don't want to be scanned, thats OK. Just come up with a different and viable excuse other than radiation exposure.

A non professional (civilian) is allowed exposure up to 50 mrem per year. A professional is allowed up to 500mrem of exposure per year.

Yep....those professionals are SO much tougher....must have gotten that extra radiation tolerance during medical training.

Are you really saying that a medical professional can be subjected to 10x the dosage of a man off the street?

The mere fact that there are two different standards is quite telling to me. Either the civilian number is way too low, or they are playing fast and loose with the health of the "professionals".

As for the lack of dosimeters on TSA agents....just a matter of time for their union to demand them.

Yep....Are you really saying that a medical professional can be subjected to 10x the dosage of a man off the street?

Yes, this rule is hard and fast. Monitored by the FDA and ACR (American College of Radiation). ACR is the group of professionals in the radiation industry who set the standards in the industry. The FDA police the standards.

As for the lack of dosimeters on TSA agents....just a matter of time for their union to demand them.Sorry, once again... the levels of radiation exposure is so indignificate as set by ACR and monitored by FDA that it won't happen.

If TSA folks are going to be required, then why aren't pilots? As stated earlier, the amount of radiation exposure from solar radiation at 30,000 feet is the same amount as a chest x-ray. If the exposure and the risk was that bad or that high, then pilots would be monitored.

As usual, the press just finds a scary story and runs with it.

Yep....those professionals are SO much tougher....must have gotten that extra radiation tolerance during medical training.

Are you really saying that a medical professional can be subjected to 10x the dosage of a man off the street?

The mere fact that there are two different standards is quite telling to me. Either the civilian number is way too low, or they are playing fast and loose with the health of the "professionals".

As for the lack of dosimeters on TSA agents....just a matter of time for their union to demand them.

As a follow up, I have to have a badge.

I have actually forgotten that my badge was in my laptop case once. It went thru the scanner at the airport. I thought I was going to be in trouble at work. Turns out,,,there was no measurable difference.

Not sure how long this link will work but I got a huge chuckle from this:

http://www.floppingaces.net/wp-content/uploads/sk111110dAPR20101111044659.jpg

All I can say is "Frisk me, baby....oooooh!!" :D :D

I liked this one that he did

9april10toonnolajpg-fbcc573ed302fe6f_large.jpg

http://media.nola.com/stevekelley/photo/9april10toonnolajpg-fbcc573ed302fe6f_large.jpg

It's the whole feeling not just the xray. I have more of a problem with being viewed and the possiblity of them storing the pictures. I would never let a child go into the machine or have the new'enhanced'patdown. It is really a shame to what we are becoming in the USA. It seems between this and cameras/tracking/RFIDs we are constantly being watched.

This is why I am glad I live in Florida!! I stopped flying anywhere when most airlines instituted the pay-for-your-baggage garbage. I have 5 ports I can cruise from with the longest being a 4 hour drive away and the closest being a mere 1 hour away. When I book a cruise, I don't need the aggravation the airlines PROVIDE to my vacation!

What do you think of this getting to the cruise industry? I thought about it since not only are these screeners in airports, but in mobile vans as well as court houses and gov't buildings. I really don' t know what will be next. I think the TSA is really trying to force the scanners by the only other choice an 'enhanced' pat down. A simple pat down isn't a big deal in my opinion, these enhanced ones are.

I still have great seperation anxiety while I stand for the xray with my hands over my head and then a pat down and meanwhile my money and laptop and smart phone and carry on luggage are at the bottom of the baggage scanner line just waiting for anyone who wants to walk away with my stuff to have at it. This time I did not wear my money pouch through the scanner since it seemed to cause problems -- so my money for Vegas was sitting in my purse a good 12 feet in back of me. I was told to wait after going through the scanner because the person in front of me needed to be "patted down". The whole mess took over 4 minutes.

I am going to be P#**^& O%% if I get robbed, get cancer from the radiation (I have already had cancer and lots of radiation exposure from testing/cures) or if I miss my plane due to the long lines and inconvenience. I also just don't think that reaction is going to keep me safe. Oh by the way you can not take toner for your printers onboard now thanks to last week's try.

Oh by the way you can not take toner for your printers onboard now thanks to last week's try.

When did bringing toner cartriges for your printer or copier become a personal or business need ? Out of all the thousands of miles I've flown for business and personal reasons, I can't remember one time where I needed to bring toner with me.

Yes: YXUYYZ or YXUORD and then one or more cnxs to where I ultimately need to get to. For some points in eastern Canada in can be three or four each way. So yes, a lot of short hops, and almost exclusively CRJ + DH1/3 flying. Scott.

Exposure to radiation :confused:

Oh Please. I work in the x-ray radiation industry. Your exposed to as much radiation (from the sun) when flying as you recieve during a routine chest x-ray.

You may notice that in hospitals and clinics that x-ray professionals are wearing radiation monitoring badges. These badges are not even worn by TSA employee's. Why? Because the amount of radiation produced by these systems are so minimal as to not be significant.

Now, if you still don't want to be scanned, thats OK. Just come up with a different and viable excuse other than radiation exposure.

Thank you for that information. I've had so many x-rays, CT scans, etc that I should glow in the dark. Needless to say that an airport scanner isn't going to worry me. :D

The guy is a criminal. Why isn't he being prosecuted?

He did not have a flight and forged airline ticket.

The guy wants his 15 minutes just like the balloon kid and his father.

There sure are a lot of paranoid people. Don't fly and you don't have to worry about it.

Let's everybody gum up the works so innocent people miss their flights because some idiots want to protest.

Archived