Best Excursions for Grand Cayman?

hubofhockey

We just got back from our Carnival Liberty cruise and, as I promised, I'd review the Sea Spi excursion. Sea Spis are personal watercrafts that you lie on face down and through a glass bottom eco-friendly watercraft which you operate by a joystick. These little crafts are fun to drive. They come in two-person or one-person crafts. The Carnival excursion costs $85 per person, adult or child, and whether you take out a double or single. It's a semi-guided tour. The guide takes the Sea Spiers to three different areas. Got to see a stingray, tarpon, nursing shark, and the typical great fish of Grand Cayman. One of the areas is Cheeseburger Reef, which is always a good take. This excursion cost us $340 for the family. But it was a memorable adventure and worth it, especially for those who don't snorkle. Our excursion sold out in advance of the cruise. There are around 10 crafts available. If you're interested, book it before your cruise.

I have a question for you. This sounds like a great trip but my problem is that we are a family of 5. Would a 10 year old be able to man a 1 person boat? My kids will be 5, 8 and 10 so hopefully my oldest would be ok. how much was the excursion and did you get to get in the water at all or was it all just riding around?

Thanks

I have a question for you. This sounds like a great trip but my problem is that we are a family of 5. Would a 10 year old be able to man a 1 person boat? My kids will be 5, 8 and 10 so hopefully my oldest would be ok. how much was the excursion and did you get to get in the water at all or was it all just riding around?

Thanks

A 10-year old could man a solo boat. I let my 7-year old drive ours for a while. The company that does the tour has a website. You should call them and ask if they'd let a 10-year old go solo.

The cost is $85 per person.

You get wet. You don't go in the water. Most of it is just riding around. I stuck my leg in the water to cool down, much like everyone else. Between transportation, etc, it's a two-hour excursion. We got to Breezes for lunch at Noon after excursion. I would have gone to Sea Grape Beach afterwards right from main excursion area. But my wife wanted to do some jewelry shopping. :eek:

I highly recommend the Sea Spi excursion. It was a highlight of my vacation (along with going to Pez Quadro in Costa Maya).

Can anyone tell me if this tour can be booked on your own. I'm interested but can't find any information on it other than it's an excursion with Carnival. Does anyone know where they're located? I'll be on the Mariner in July and would be interested in checking it out.

Thanks-

Can anyone tell me if this tour can be booked on your own. I'm interested but can't find any information on it other than it's an excursion with Carnival. Does anyone know where they're located? I'll be on the Mariner in July and would be interested in checking it out.

Thanks-

All of the information you need is in the following link.

http://seasuncayman.com/index.html

That's the website for the company that operates this excursion. I would call them directly if I were you. The phone number is on the reservation page. I e-mailed them and got no response. So, I booked with Carnival. I read on an earlier CC thread that the cost is less if you book directly. Our Carnival excursion was sold out. But there were people on before our excursion and people after our excursion.

You could walk from the port to the area where seasun cayman is. It's on the same street. But you might want to arrange transportation. Have fun.

If I understand it correct, Cruiseships will pass on George Town if the water is rough. Will it not be best to book your activities with the Cruiseline so you will not be out any money in case you do not stop?

That's certainly a consideration. However, some independent operators will refund your money if you miss the port because of weather; some won't. You would need to check with the SeaSpi operator if this concerns you.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone recently done the Sea Spi excursion? I just e-mailed the company to see if they take outside bookings rather than booking through the cruise line. Sure hope I hear back from them.

I can't get the photo galleries on their website to come up.

HOw can one drive the thing w/a joystick while looking down at the water thru the glass bottom? Or do you stop driving, stop the craft, and then look down? How does that work?

• 1 month later...

I was looking at this tour myself and found this website where you can actually book the tour directly online. If you do end up going, please let us know how it went so it will help those interested (like myself) decide whether to do this or find something else to do:

And yes, it's much cheaper if you book directly (only $70)!

http://www.seasunexperience.com/index.asp

(main company website)

https://secure2.shadowfax.bc.ca/seasunexp/SelectTour.asp?lid=8

(select single/twin to book the tour)

I was looking at this tour myself and found this website where you can actually book the tour directly online. If you do end up going, please let us know how it went so it will help those interested (like myself) decide whether to do this or find something else to do:

And yes, it's much cheaper if you book directly (only $70)!

http://www.seasunexperience.com/index.asp

(main company website)

https://secure2.shadowfax.bc.ca/seasunexp/SelectTour.asp?lid=8

(select single/twin to book the tour)

Thank you for posting the links!

• 4 weeks later...
I can't get the photo galleries on their website to come up.

HOw can one drive the thing w/a joystick while looking down at the water thru the glass bottom? Or do you stop driving, stop the craft, and then look down? How does that work?

It's very easy. I even let my 7-year old handle the joystick for a while. You look down but keep a hand on the joystick. The joystick is in a place where it's convenient to have your face down and operate.

I highly recommend the SeaSpis. They're a lot of fun. You'll have time to go out to eat and shop afterwards or even head to a beach.

• 1 month later...
It's very easy. I even let my 7-year old handle the joystick for a while. You look down but keep a hand on the joystick. The joystick is in a place where it's convenient to have your face down and operate.

I highly recommend the SeaSpis. They're a lot of fun. You'll have time to go out to eat and shop afterwards or even head to a beach.

How long do you get to stay on the Sea Spi?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

We booked the Pirate Ship excursion (children ages 5 & 7) and it looks like soo much fun! The kids and my husband said no way to the sting rays. We are Floridians and my kids have been raised to do the sting ray shuffle:D

We leave a week from today so I will let you know:)

Archived