CD Tim Donovan

geocruiser

Hi,

We are sailing on Emerald Princess 11/28/10. Just received an E-mail from Princess telling us our Cruise Director is Tim Donovan.

We have never sailed with him before. How is he as a cruise director?

Maria

We had him on the Emerald in January. He's a good CD, not the best, but good. He did host an "English Pub Night" (I believe that's what it was called) event in Club Fusion one night...It was AWFUL! AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL! He had said that this was the first time they were doing it, I think. Or one of the first times they had done it. I don't know if they continued doing it or not, but we were so bored! I suppose if you drink A LOT it could be more fun, but we did not enjoy that event at all. And there was not enough seating. But MOST people got up and walked out after the first 20 minutes or so LOL! Overall, Tim is a good host, not as involved or as personable as people say Ron Goodman is. You will enjoy your cruise though!!!

I think he's a great CD. He does a lot with the current low budgets, providing a nice variety of entertainment on board.

I really like that there were some late night comedy shows with more adult humor and focus (with an appropriate disclaimer) so that those of us who are tired of strictly G rated stuff have an option.

He also arranged a wide variety of music options, so most music fans will find something they like.

You will enjoy yourself, there will be things you like to do.

We liked him. He does have the British sense of humor. If you were looking for something to do, there was something to do. Pool games are not our things.

If you are going to any of the parties on deck and want to be with the action, line up on the port side of the Neptune pool.

I think he's a great CD. He does a lot with the current low budgets, providing a nice variety of entertainment on board.

I really like that there were some late night comedy shows with more adult humor and focus (with an appropriate disclaimer) so that those of us who are tired of strictly G rated stuff have an option.

He also arranged a wide variety of music options, so most music fans will find something they like.

You will enjoy yourself, there will be things you like to do.

Talk about the current low budget's - he recently on the Emerald one evening had a repeat comedian in the explorers lounge (for the third time) while the main attraction in the show lounge at 8 & 10 PM was a showing of an older movie - "Date Night". The cut backs on the entertainment budget are getting more disappointing as time goes on. :mad:

The night they held the late night comedy show it was so crowded people were standing outside of Club Fusion just to try & hear the show no less get a seat. It's to bad they didn't hold it it the main show lounge.

Hi,

We are sailing on Emerald Princess 11/28/10. Just received an E-mail from Princess telling us our Cruise Director is Tim Donovan.

We have never sailed with him before. How is he as a cruise director?

Maria

Tim is an excellent CD as well as being a very nice outgoing personality.

While we have little to compare Tim to, I must say that we enjoyed him. He seemed to be a great balance of all things to us. He was always upbeat, interesting yet not over the top.

I had one request during our cruise, that was to meet one or more of the dancers after a show so I could try and make a 3d photo of them. He happly arranged this for me and made sure I got everything I felt I needed to ensure success in the process of making this photo (posted in the princess photo part of this site).

Here is a photo of Tim on our Cruise click here

I hope this helps.

We had Tim several years ago on a 7 day cruise and he was so-so.

But on the April 2009 14 day Grand Cruise he was very, very good. Personable, energetic, and threw one heck of a Island Night party, was easily approachable and just a really nice guy.

Unlike the previous poster's experience, the Pub Night Tim threw last year was a riot and Tim was the best cigar smoking ballerina we've seen in years!

We laughed until the sides of my head hurt. Now that was funny!

We were on the Oct 19-29 cruise as well. Tim has been the CD on two of our previous cruises. This time he seemed more personable and available. It was also nice to have him attend our Meet and Greet, in casual clothes, not his formal or uniform attire. We were able to talk with him. He even said he'd attend one of our activities when it was offered. It was nice to see him in person. His voice is undeniable and it always greeted us each morning with the list of upcoming activities.

I always thought his hair was gray, but it looked very light blonde when I saw him up close.

He's pretty good overall.

Lynne

We are sailing on the Emerald on 12/18. Will we find out if Tim is the CD on this cruise prior to sailing?

Two weeks before the cruise you should get the last in the series of four pre-cruise e-mails from Princess. This one will include information about the CD and scheduled entertainment.

We just had him on Emerald and he was not obtrusive but there were times he seemed like he was "Dialing it in". He does have a bit of a Brit sense of humor and there were a lot of Brits on the ship so that was a good fit. If you're looking for a new best friend... I doubt this is your guy, but if a perfectly fine MC and Big Cheese is all you're looking for... Tim will fit the bill.

All that being said... as with most things... The staff makes up for the boss. The cruise staff on our recent cruise was great. They made you feel welcome, recognised us and made it known several times through the cruise. Tim was a C+ but the whole bunch of them were an A+. Average it all out and you're talking a strong B+ overall... and that was always good enough for me!! Enjoy your cruise!!:D

Archived