Celebrity Tourists Robbed at Gunpoint in St. Kitts

rocketmom09

Oh no. I'am sorry to hear this. Was it a private tour booked via internet or a tour booked thru Celebrity? I've never been to St. Kitts, I'm planning to cruise there in 2012 on Carnival's Victory. I hope those tourist didn't have all their money with them, and I glad nobody was hurt. I usually take just what I think I'm going to spend.

Happy & Safe sailing...

I live in Tampa and people getting robbed, beat and murdered is a common thing. It just seems everyone gets their knickers in a twist every time this type of thing happens at a cruise destination.

I thank you though for posting the link and CC for bringing it to our attention but, people get robbed every day in the US in all the homeport cities that ships port in. Why does CC not post that about the cities that people get robbed in every day in the US?

Just a thought.

I was sadden to read that a group of tourist were robbed while heading to Brimstone fort.

Like Jessemon stated, it's making news because this is a cruise port.

Not to sound mean, you have people getting robbed in Miami and other departing ports daily and it don't make the main board of this website.

I went to Brimstone fort on my cruise stop in 2008. I can recall the pride of my local tour guide of her island. I also enjoyed the fact that the people were polite and glad to talk about the island.

I know that those who make their living from tourist hate that these men are causing people to rethink visiting Brimstone fort, taking an island tour, heading to the beach, a hike,etc. The actions of these fools shouldn't stain the honest people on the island.

I live in Tampa and people getting robbed, beat and murdered is a common thing. It just seems everyone gets their knickers in a twist every time this type of thing happens at a cruise destination.

I thank you though for posting the link and CC for bringing it to our attention but, people get robbed every day in the US in all the homeport cities that ships port in. Why does CC not post that about the cities that people get robbed in every day in the US?

Just a thought.

Because those people are not on CRUISE EXCURSION TOURS GETTING ROBBED WHILE ON THE TOUR BUS....just a guess/:cool:

Well, if tourists on shore excursions are getting robbed in Miami & Tampa, then this is the first I've heard about it. I live in Florida, and that tidbit of information hasn't even hit the television news here. Yes, there is crime everywhere, but to rob the hand that feeds you is a very sad situation. I leave for a cruise in 4 weeks, and if our ship was going to St. Kitts, I think I'd rather take my view from the comfort of the ship at this point. It would be different if they had caught the culprits, but they haven't.

Guest Host Cheryl
Well, if tourists on shore excursions are getting robbed in Miami & Tampa, then this is the first I've heard about it. I live in Florida, and that tidbit of information hasn't even hit the television news here. Yes, there is crime everywhere, but to rob the hand that feeds you is a very sad situation. I leave for a cruise in 4 weeks, and if our ship was going to St. Kitts, I think I'd rather take my view from the comfort of the ship at this point. It would be different if they had caught the culprits, but they haven't.

I hope that you don't let this incident keep you on the ship. Why not just reconsider heading out to remote areas? It would be such a shame to let this incident prevent you from enjoying St. Kitts. It's one of my favorite destinations.

I hope that you don't let this incident keep you on the ship. Why not just reconsider heading out to remote areas? It would be such a shame to let this incident prevent you from enjoying St. Kitts. It's one of my favorite destinations.

Sorry, but it just might cause me to stay on the ship. This was a ship sponsored cruise, and I usually feel very safe on those. We leave in two weeks and had planned a catamaran trip to Nevis. If we don't have to go far to get the Catamaran, I'll go for it. Otherwise, I will seriously be reconsidering.

I've been to St. Kitts before and quite honestly, was not thrilled with it.

Janette

We leave on the 26th and will be in St. Kitts on the 30th. Up til now, we had been considering the rail tour. However, I wonder if that would be too much in out-of-the-way places and thus a target. I took a look at the St. Kitts - Nevis Observer website and read some of the past articles about crime in St. Kitts. I'm starting to get a bit concerned.

Art

It was a cruise sponsored excursion true- but from what I am reading it was a random crime - they were not targeting that bus. I feel bad, as many others have said, that this impacts all those hard working caring people I've met over the years. The catamaran is very close by, so don't cancel your cat trip. Plus I did read that this was an isolated incident that has never happened before.... I've always felt very safe in St. Kitts.... I'm sure they are making headway into finding out who did this and hope for stiff consequences for them.

I was on the Mercury sailing where this unfortunate incident took place and spoke with someone who was on this tour. The ambush occurred on a main road headed to Brimstone Hill, not somewhere isolated. I wondered whether the ship tour was targeted because it was a larger vehicle carrying more passengers than independent tours or cabs.

Personally, I think this was an isolated event and hope there will not be copycat events on St Kitts or any other island. Ironically, we had been told at our port talks that St. kits was more middle class than other islands and one of the safest.

The next day we were in Anrigua and the tour guides there were all talking about what happened on St. Kitts.

Incidentally, the elderly woman I spoke to who was on the ill fated excursion ,though still very upset understandably, has high praise for Celebrity's handling of things and care and assistance of passengers in it's aftermath.

Ruth

Archived