Panama Canal Question - Recent Cruisers, Fall 2010+

CelebrityMan

Greetings Fellow Cruisers,

I'm curious about the construction that is going on at the Canal to add new, post-Panamax larger locks parallel to the existing locks.

On your recent transits of the Canal (fall, 2010) have you been able to see this construction, do the narrators point it out during transit? Any tips you can give regarding the best places to see it will be most appreciated.

We're on an April, 2011 sailing (my 5th time through the Canal) and are just curious as to what we'll be able to enjoy seeing regarding this expansion.

Thanks for your responses!

CM

Hi,

Sailed thru 11oct ( Mercury repo SanDiego-Baltimore )

Observed less signs of expansion than anticipated, but they're noticeable, portside, ~~ Miraflores & StMiguel locks, and beyond towards the Gallard cut, to about halfway point. then, nothing noteworthy. Did not observe any sign of work around Gatun Lake ad its 3 level locks.

Narrator was not commenting that much about it. He did state a couple of times that the whole widening project will be navigable by 2014, the 100th

Anniversary of the canal.

Cheers

p.s; this is my observation only....My opinion only. I could have easily missed a few '' pointers''....but since I spent the entire day in forwards seats in the Navigator lounge AND was specifically looking for ''modifications'' that would have taken place since my last full transit in Dec 2006....I'd be surprised if i missed a lot of stuff.

Pretty much what C-Legs said (we were on the same cruise). I noticed one large area where you could see what the width of the new canal would be like. However, it looked more like the construction of a highway than a waterway. Some lectures on board talked about the expansion but not much else was said. Seems like it is still in the infant stages. I'm surprised more hasn't been done. Perhaps those who went off the ship saw more but I doubt it.

Hi,

Thank you, responders, for your input. Much appreciated. Anyone else....??

I'm most curious to know if there is anyone who noticed locks construction, or if there's any hope of seeing it from the ship.

Here's a link to what is being done:

http://www.czbrats.com/pcexpansion.htm

Two new sets of three stage, post-Panamax locks are being constructed, together with their new approach channels. These modern locks will be conservationist in design, with water-retention and re-use a hallmark of their operation.

CM

Greetings Fellow Cruisers,

I'm curious about the construction that is going on at the Canal to add new, post-Panamax larger locks parallel to the existing locks.

On your recent transits of the Canal (fall, 2010) have you been able to see this construction, do the narrators point it out during transit? Any tips you can give regarding the best places to see it will be most appreciated.

We're on an April, 2011 sailing (my 5th time through the Canal) and are just curious as to what we'll be able to enjoy seeing regarding this expansion.

Thanks for your responses!

CM

check the "autoridad del canal de panama" website www.pancanal.com for more specific details of the expansion...

Hi,

Thanks, Vicmon, for the link. That's one of the sites I visit on a regular basis....

For the purposes of this Cruise Critic inquiry, I'm specifically interested in the experiences of those who have recently transitted the Canal — particularly what they were able to see of the locks construction, and whether or not the Panamanian narrator called attention to it.

Still hoping to hear from recent cruisers....

CM

Archived