Weather for Chile to Argentina

bigbill2009

We will be traveling of the Infinity, 1/16/11 from Santiago to Buenos Aires. Know that the weather in Santiago & Buenos Aires will be on the warm side, but does anyone know what temperatures we should expect cruising around cape Horn? also some of the stops are small & there is little weather available on the internet.

BigBill2009

I think Kitty9 described it. You go from summer to potential winter in a matter of a few days with spring/fall in between. We actually had a smooth Drake's Passage and the Cape Horn was also sunny/mild wind, but it did get cold/breezy on our Around the Horn cruise. Ushuisia was okay weather wise also. For our 2008 cruise, had good weather the whole trip. Think layering and you should be okay.

Personally, I took a heavy windbreaker/rain jacket with a zip in liner for outer gear. Then had a mock turtleneck that was wicking/warm and a sweatshirt. For pants, had light/roomy rain pants to go over jeans and then had running tights underneath the jeans. For me, I could handle all phases of weather.

Took these same clothes on our S. American-Antarctica cruise this past February and stayed warm again. If it is extremely cold/windy on ship, you most likely will not go out on the outer/upper decks. We had 50-60 mile/hour winds and 15-20 foot seas during our crossing of Drake' Passage for Antarctica cruise and needless to say, we stayed inside the ship.

Have a great trip! We did the around the horn in 2008 and Antarctica in 2010.

We will be traveling of the Infinity, 1/16/11 from Santiago to Buenos Aires. Know that the weather in Santiago & Buenos Aires will be on the warm side, but does anyone know what temperatures we should expect cruising around cape Horn? also some of the stops are small & there is little weather available on the internet.

BigBill2009

Don't know about the weather...as this will be our first time...but we are on the same cruise!! If you haven't already, please come join our Roll Call! LuAnn

I was on NCL but X practically followed the same itinerary... Went 2/14/09. Our cruise ended up being warmer than most. I wish I'd brought more summer type clothes, since we ended up 2/3 warm weather, 1/3 cold. Even Antarctica wasn't as freezing as I expected. Layering is a key.

BTW, this is an incredible cruise. I hope you love SA as much as I did.

Hi Big Bill,

I did this same cruise on about the same dates this past January. We had very high winds in Ushuaia, with temps in the 50's. It can be rainy, too, but we were lucky to have fairly clear weather. I was comfortable in sneakers, a warm fleece jacket and a Gore-tex shell with hood. Be sure to take a hat and gloves. I wore sandals and sleeveless dresses in Santiago and Buenos Aires.

This is a fantastic cruise on a wonderful ship--Have fun!

Gilda

BigBill2009

It reminded me a lot of Seward Alaska and being in the Kenai Fjords. It was warmer in Ushuaia, but chillier out on the water. It was also very damp

Archived