Rant on the Carnivals number game!!!

mrintegra

Hey All,

We were booked on the Carnival Splendor's January 9th sailing. Of course the news of the cancelation is ringing through the CC boards. I understand the situation is out of CCL hands and they will be losing millions of dollars through these holiday cruises on one of their largest ships. To offer a full refund is the only legal obligation that they have.

But, to BS us with a 25% discount and then go raise every cruise price (ships with similar features, same cabin category, and sail length) 25% above yesterdays price. That is a complete joke!!!!! I just sat here looking at web cache and todays prices with a calculator and they are all 25% more than yesterdays price. We have sailed with Carnival 3 times and were leaning on going back to Royal Caribbean to not deal with number games. Be honest with your refunds or discounts and not just release a press release to get five 5 min of good pr!

Hey All,

We were booked on the Carnival Splendor's January 9th sailing. Of course the news of the cancelation is ringing through the CC boards. I understand the situation is out of CCL hands and they will be losing millions of dollars through these holiday cruises on one of their largest ships. To offer a full refund is the only legal obligation that they have.

But, to BS us with a 25% discount and then go raise every cruise price (ships with similar features, same cabin category, and sail length) 25% above yesterdays price. That is a complete joke!!!!! I just sat here looking at web cache and todays prices with a calculator and they are all 25% more than yesterdays price. We have sailed with Carnival 3 times and were leaning on going back to Royal Caribbean to not deal with number games. Be honest with your refunds or discounts and not just release a press release to get five 5 min of good pr!

The bottom line is that pricing is a function of supply and demand. The demand has risen so the price has risen accordingly. Computers make the call... not individuals.

I'm sure that any other line finding the same booking pressure would respond exactly the same way.

:)

Have you called and asked if you can get one of those rates at what you paid or just assuming they wouldnt let you book?

supply and demand .. as most predicted will drive prices higher, with more booking fewer cabins ... it probably is automated as the ships fill up. call and see if they will make you a deal.

It is bad for those who want to book who were not previously booked on splendor ..but for those already booked, I would call and see.

I'm not too familiar with the west coast itineraries, but is the Splendor the only ship out there?

I've been looking at different cruises for a few days and have not seen prices rising. But, theses cruises have been on the east coast.

I guess I'm just wondering if it's only the Splendor that has the rising prices?

The bottom line is that pricing is a function of supply and demand. The demand has risen so the price has risen accordingly. Computers make the call... not individuals.

I'm sure that any other line finding the same booking pressure would respond exactly the same way.

I have no problem with supply and demand driving the prices when the consumer drives it but it was the cancellation of so many cruises that caused this demand.

We too are in the same position that our Thanksgiving cruise was cancelled. We are more than willing to rebook over the next few weeks but the now way higer prices even with the 25% doesn't make economic sense. Prices were changing so fast this morning after the announcement you couldn't even make decisions.

I wish Carnival would have helped secure new bookings at a resonable prices instead of allowing the prices to go through the roof.

Have you called and asked if you can get one of those rates at what you paid or just assuming they wouldnt let you book?

supply and demand .. as most predicted will drive prices higher, with more booking fewer cabins ... it probably is automated as the ships fill up. call and see if they will make you a deal.

It is bad for those who want to book who were not previously booked on splendor ..but for those already booked, I would call and see.

We called Carnival and they are not budging. Carnival has a strict pricing policy!

Hey All,

Unless you have to book right now, don't. Prices will go back down.

I'm not too familiar with the west coast itineraries, but is the Splendor the only ship out there?

I've been looking at different cruises for a few days and have not seen prices rising. But, theses cruises have been on the east coast.

I guess I'm just wondering if it's only the Splendor that has the rising prices?

There is also the Carnival Spirit which is a great ship but is not sailing on date that we can get out of school or the price is through the roof.

The increase in price has nothing to do with the fire on the Splendor. I have three cruises booked - two on RCL (a B2B) and one on Carnival's Magic and I have noticed that as each of my cruises get closer to the sail date the prices keeps going up, on both cruise lines.

It is simple mathematics that I learned in middle school way back in the 60s - it is called Supply and Demand.

I have no problem with supply and demand driving the prices when the consumer drives it but it was the cancellation of so many cruises that caused this demand.

We too are in the same position that our Thanksgiving cruise was cancelled. We are more than willing to rebook over the next few weeks but the now way higer prices even with the 25% doesn't make economic sense. Prices were changing so fast this morning after the announcement you couldn't even make decisions.

I wish Carnival would have helped secure new bookings at a resonable prices instead of allowing the prices to go through the roof.

Sadly, talking computers into being reasonable isn't an easy thing to do.

Perhaps the 25% discount was in anticipation of the price rise generated by demand. I would expect that as the demand drops off (there had to be a HUGE bump in bookings today for those west coast cruises...) the prices will as well...

My DD does revenue management for hotels.

I told her that I hate her :p

I look at a price for a hotel one day and it is this much...the next day it's $100 more.

She's busy looking at what's going on in the area of her hotels...Convention? Boston Marathon? Gay Pride parade? Mardi Gras? Holiday? Spring break?

Hike that price up!

It's about supply and demand....if the cruises are booking, the prices will go up.

This works the same with air fare too....it's just how it works.

I am truly sorry that you are in this situation....I can imagine it's very frustrating, but that is how it works.

So sorry to hear that your having a hard time finding another Cruise. But I'm not at all surprised to hear that prices have gone up. As others have said it's supply and demand and those of us who Cruise out of Galveston are use to it. Cruises here rarely go down in price. It's why we book so far out but if something were to happen and one of our scheduled trips got canceled we'd have to head to NOLA, Mobile or FLA to find something and I wouldn't be really happy either. Being a Militarty wife for so long I've learned "Just because I understand the reasoning behind something doesn't mean I have to like it!" Good luck with what ever you decide and may all your sailing be smooth! :)

We're looking at booking another cruise for late this winter. I was pricing cruises on the East coast and the West coast both about 10 days ago through the last week while we waited for vacation approvals. The prices have remained the same on the cruises from Florida while the cruises out of Calif have went up. It's exactly what everyone has said - supply and demand. They need more ships on the west coast. But as we know there's not enough demand most of the time to support another ship out there. Like another poster mentioned there are other cruise lines - but with the demand for west coast cruises so high right now I'd guess that their prices are up too.

Let me just clarify as I'm trying to do work, sit on hold with carnival, and watch blogs/message boards/carnival's web site/etc.

I understand supply and demand and whether this issue with the cancelation arose or not that the prices on cruises will rise as you get closer to the date. Also the fact that at least 30,000 guest so far just lost their vacation (not counting the ones that were on the smoking ship). if just a low estimate 1/4 of that total (12,000) were looking to rebook within the next year that would be 12,000 additional people looking for cruises over the next few months. In addition to the normal price raise it would raise the price additionally. In addition the supply has gone down and they are losing there second largest ship. I understand the economic math behind it.

My problem is with Carnival offering a refund (bare minimum) and a 25% discount on another cruise ( a move for good PR). The prices for a similar ships rose exactly 25% over night, I got the web cache to prove it as we were looking for a plan B at 11pm last night. If carnival wanted to make a good honest move and not protect the bottom line they would offer a similar cruise for the same price we paid as we book this cruise almost 12 months ago.

Hey All,

I am looking at my cruise I have booked in March. I have been checking it a couple times a day due to ES. It is priced the same today as yesterday.

Yesterday was less than day before because of residency discount they are offering. Past guest discount better than past guest sale discount.

My problem is with Carnival offering a refund (bare minimum) and a 25% discount on another cruise ( a move for good PR). The prices for a similar ships rose exactly 25% over night, I got the web cache to prove it as we were looking for a plan B at 11pm last night. If carnival wanted to make a good honest move and not protect the bottom line they would offer a similar cruise for the same price we paid as we book this cruise almost 12 months ago.

Would you be happy if you could book a comparable cruise for the same exact price you had this one? Or are you wanting a comparable cruise for the price you paid + 25% off? Even with the higher prices, are there any comparable sailings that will cost close to the same when using the 25% ? Hope you can find something you will be happy with!!

Don't be so naive. Computers don't make that call...people do.

I was wondering the same thing. I have been checking two or three cruises daily for weeks and no price increase, but they are all out of gulf ports.

I have to agree, they really should offer a similar cruise for the same price, I mean after all it's not their fault that the ship had a problem. They should honor the original price, providing it is a similar itinerary.

Let me just clarify as I'm trying to do work, sit on hold with carnival, and watch blogs/message boards/carnival's web site/etc.

I understand supply and demand and whether this issue with the cancelation arose or not that the prices on cruises will rise as you get closer to the date. Also the fact that at least 30,000 guest so far just lost their vacation (not counting the ones that were on the smoking ship). if just a low estimate 1/4 of that total (12,000) were looking to rebook within the next year that would be 12,000 additional people looking for cruises over the next few months. In addition to the normal price raise it would raise the price additionally. In addition the supply has gone down and they are losing there second largest ship. I understand the economic math behind it.

Archived