do we need to buy insurance

cmood

Hi all,

In a hurry to know if we need to buy an interrput insurance for our cruise next month. Flight delay won't be a problem for us as we will be there 2 days ahead the cruise date.

Any comments really appreciated.

CMood

Hi all,

In a hurry to know if we need to buy an interrput insurance for our cruise next month. Flight delay won't be a problem for us as we will be there 2 days ahead the cruise date.

CMood

I don't typically buy insurance. We fly in like you, two days prior to the cruise. That being said, if you feel like you should buy it, then do. I purchased insurance once because I was traveling with my senior parents. We did end up needing it because my dad broke his leg before the trip (it was a vacation to Hawaii), so I was very thankful I had purchased the insurance.

For the cruise, personally, I just don't purchase it. But that's me. :)

Hi all,

CMood

Since you're from Canada, check with the credit card you used to pay for the cruise. Apparently quite a few cards issued by Canadian banks include trip interruption coverage of some sort in with the card benefits.

Its insurance, it comes down to how much you feel you need to be covered.

Many things are covered depending on what coverage you buy. In trip medical issues coverage, illnnes and mssing the trip, or just plain missing the boat type stuff.

Much depends on health and financial situation. I have never gotten insurance, but get it for my parents as their health is a bigger issue.

Hi all,

CMood

Travel insurance cover alot more than just flight delays on the way to the ship. Most include:

Medical expenses. Many health policies do not cover you outside the US.

Medical evacuation. Flying you back to the US if you have a serious medical problem. This can cost $25,000 to $50,000 if you have to pay for it.

Trip interruption if a family member becomes seriously ill or dies. This would cover the lost portion of the cruise plus the cost of flights home.

I purchase trip insurance just to be protected if I am injured or become ill and have to be medevaced from the ship. I've seen this happen numerous times over the years and I don't have $25,000 plus dollars at my disposal.

But my sister and I are in our 50's and rarely pay more than $150 or so for a 2 person policy. In fact we cruise so often that we are considering getting an annual policy which will actually save us a few bucks.

I've been buying insurance for several years. My stepfather had a heart attack that prevented him and my mother from taking a cruise one year. Because they had purchased insurance, they were able to go the next.

And then my mother-in-law became ill while on a Mediterranean cruise. She spent three nights in a Greek hospital. The insurance company was wonderful. DH was able to talk to representatives and find out details of the arrangements the company had made for them. When she got well enough to travel, the company even arranged for a student nurse to accompany them on their flights back to the U.S. In addition to paying for the hospital bill and flight changes, the company reimbursed them for their unused cruise nights. It also paid for a hotel for my father-in-law so he could get the rest he needed and not have to stay with her in the hospital 24/7.

Now that our parents are getting on up there, we think of the benefit of being able to cancel if one of them had a medical emergency that necessitated our staying home. But it's also the peace of mind knowing that if something happened to one of us on a cruise that we'd be covered and not have to worry about the cost of treatment and getting home.

Much depends on health and financial situation. I have never gotten insurance, but get it for my parents as their health is a bigger issue.

Many people feel that if their health is OK, they don't need travel insurance. We've purchased travel insurance for the last several years, and in two cases, we had to abort a trip because of the death of a close relative. In one of these cases, my younger brother, who was 52 and seemingly in perfect health died of a coronary. I still feel that the best advice that can be given on the buy/no buy issue is if you're paying an amount that you can't afford to lose for a trip, consider buying travel insurance.

DH and I were in fl. the night before one of our cruises. I was on 17th st. waiting to cross the street to walgreens (those that know the area) As we were waiting for the light to change there was a young girl (in her 20's) waiting to cross as well. I smiled and asked if she was sailing out tomorrow too. She said, actually I'm on a cruise right now. (I stood there looking confused) She continued to tell me that her husband had an appendix attack, and they had to medvac him from Grand Turk back to florida to get an emergency operation. They flew her in too. I told her I hoped everything turns out well for them, and said I hope you had insurance....she said they did, she said, I don't know what I would have done if we didn't.

Archived