White Pass Railway - which side?

warmwinds

We're taking it one way to the summit, then the bus back.

Is there a preferred side to the train for the best vistas? How about the bus? Thanks.

For the train, on the left side when facing forward. On the right side your views will be more limited but not bad since the windows in the rail cars are large. You can also always get up out of your seat and go outside and stand on the viewing platforms on the back of each car. The weather may make this a poor option.

No personal experience for the bus part (our trip was R/T on the train), but my guess would be on the left side again.

We took the bus first, and returned by the train. The bus didn't seem to matter much. The best scenery seemed to flip back and forth from one side to the other. Coming back on the train, RIGHT side, for sure. That would be LEFT side if starting your tour in Skagway on the train,

We took the bus first, and returned by the train. The bus didn't seem to matter much. The best scenery seemed to flip back and forth from one side to the other. Coming back on the train, RIGHT side, for sure. That would be LEFT side if starting your tour in Skagway on the train,

It can matter if just doing a round trip summit trip. Most all the scenery is on the "inside" of the valley. If going into the Yukon, both sides do have scenery, but more is still on the right side going to Emerald Lake and left side going to Skagway.

It can matter if just doing a round trip summit trip. Most all the scenery is on the "inside" of the valley. If going into the Yukon, both sides do have scenery, but more is still on the right side going to Emerald Lake and left side going to Skagway.

I'm a little confused, I'm going to emerald lake, leaving from skagway and going w/ chikloot tours w/ train first, I sit on the right side?

I'm a little confused, I'm going to emerald lake, leaving from skagway and going w/ chikloot tours w/ train first, I sit on the right side?

On the train you are going to sit on the left side. In Fraser, you transfer to a bus. I like the right side viewing of the lakes, miles and miles. Scenery on the other side as well.

my above comment was for the road only.

On the train you are going to sit on the left side. In Fraser, you transfer to a bus. I like the right side viewing of the lakes, miles and miles. Scenery on the other side as well.

my above comment was for the road only.

Because going up the hill, on the right you're looking most of the time at a "wall." That's where they cut into the mountain to make room for the train. Going up, sit on the left. You'll understand after it starts.

The van you're taking is less important in choosing sides. But if Budget Queen recommends one side over the other, I'd listen............

Have fun!

I'm taking the railway round trip, and I was under the impression that you changed sides at the top so everybody got to see the views. Is that true or not?

Yes, if the train is full and someone is across from you. On round trips, most all the commentary is on the way up, however.

The "hot" spot for always views, is across from the bathroom. :)

I'm taking the railway round trip, and I was under the impression that you changed sides at the top so everybody got to see the views. Is that true or not?

This was not the case during our R/T train ride. At the top of the mountain there is a large loop in the rail line that allows the train to make a very big u-turn and go back down the mountain. The train stopped for about a minute (at the most) while someone switched the rail line and then the train restarted. No one switched sides, nor was there any mention of doing so by the crew.

Archived