RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

Unfortunately no. I have not been on the Oasis or Allure maybe someone else will chime in. I know the Radiance, Jewel, Brilliance & Serenade have the outdoor seating for sure within the windjammer. As far as the others (Voyager, Freedom & Vision classes) you can always take your food from the Windjammer & eat it outside by the pool, solarium & the pool's peripheral seating. Which many people do. You won't get the view of the ships wake, but you'll see the port & starboard view.

Edited by Cruise718

Too many pages here to go thru the whole deal.

If it's not been mentioned previously . . . not only do the stairwells have very nice art work, but if you complete a circuit on individual decks you see more art. Mariner deck nine has a whole deck of automotive art. Elegant old cars and scenes, and some more recent. Even non-car fans will enjoy them. Deck ten had some mechanical, almost boardwalk type contraptions on which you actually turned a crank and something happened behind the glass. Other decks had different offerings.

On a boring sea day, or bad weather day, take a walk around other decks, get some exercise, enjoy the art.

Rick and Deirdra

Too many pages here to go thru the whole deal.

If it's not been mentioned previously . . . not only do the stairwells have very nice art work, but if you complete a circuit on individual decks you see more art. Mariner deck nine has a whole deck of automotive art. Elegant old cars and scenes, and some more recent. Even non-car fans will enjoy them. Deck ten had some mechanical, almost boardwalk type contraptions on which you actually turned a crank and something happened behind the glass. Other decks had different offerings.

On a boring sea day, or bad weather day, take a walk around other decks, get some exercise, enjoy the art.

Rick and Deirdra

So true. Mariner was our first ship and we loved all the Art!

attachment.php?attachmentid=186685&stc=1&d=1298913413

Even the hallways to the cabins have very cool stuff

DSC03031.jpg.a5285dc671a13afa35f2c19d3b58e748.jpg

DSC02826.jpg.1af391e1715c4a5ce8f9e08f88295968.jpg

Ellie.jpg.39f6c2f20e46b43f9544dfa79b4c40c6.jpg

That is so cool!! I loved the Egyptian-themed stuff down our hallway on Voyager, but never once thought to go look at other decks. Car art and cranks to turn?? My teenage son and I are so there!! Thanks for the awesome tip! :D

Edited by crazy4themouse
Boneheaded typos :p

Unfortunately no. I have not been on the Oasis or Allure maybe someone else will chime in. I know the Radiance, Jewel, Brilliance & Serenade have the outdoor seating for sure within the windjammer. As far as the others (Voyager, Freedom & Vision classes) you can always take your food from the Windjammer & eat it outside by the pool, solarium & the pool's peripheral seating. Which many people do. You won't get the view of the ships wake, but you'll see the port & starboard view.

Only wish the Voyager class ships had outdoor seating. It is true you can take your food out to the pool deck or to other outside decks but I don't recall any tables so you have to eat with food in your lap.

Reading reviews & venting

Have been spending the last 4 hours browsing boards & reviews. It never ceases to baffle me how people cannot he happy unless they are complaining & miserable!!?! The sense of entitlement is nauseating & courtesy has gone out the window.

It's a cruise. You lifted your luggage once, you're getting fed every 2 hours, they clean up after you, serve you & sort your garbage. You get entertainment & participated in as much or as little activities as you like & they take you to nice places!!

I don't know about you but it sure beats work, meetings, cooking, cleaning and shoveling!!!

This lady had the best TIP!!!!

Have spent the last 4 hours browsing boards & reviews. It never ceases to baffle me how people cannot be happy unless they are complaining & miserable!!?! The sense of entitlement is nauseating & courtesy has gone out the window.

It's a cruise! You lifted your luggage once, you're getting fed every 2 hours, they clean up after you, serve you & sort your garbage. You get entertainment & participate in as much or as little activities as you like & they take you to nice places!! I don't know about you but it sure beats work, meetings, cooking, cleaning practice and shoveling!!!

This lady had the best TIP I have ever read.. EVER!!!!

"For people on these boards who complain constantly about food, service, or the attention you didn't get, I highly suggest you shell out $25,000 for a cruise on Crystal Cruises where I'm sure you'll get all your nose hairs trimmed evenly and your belly rubbed nightly to ease digestion."

I thought of another one...

Buy new shampoo, soap for the trip. Something tropical sounding with coconut scent or passion fruit or something. Use it on the ship and then continue using it when you get home. Never fails to "take me back" for just another minute or so. :)

I started this years ago, except I only use that scent on vacation. So the morning I leave for a trip, I start using that scent (body wash, lotion, perfume whatever) and I'm instantly in the vacation mind set. It's funny how it just conjures up all the good vibes instantly.

I went through this thread and compiled MY list of "RCI Secrets". I left out the controversial points (WJ seating, elevator etiquette, etc.)...don't want to encourage another 400 posts/arguments :).

Hopefully someone finds this summary useful.

Ship

· A favorite sail away spot for me is the helicopter landing pad at the very front of the ship (Voyager, Freedom and Radiance classes). Most folks don't figure out the way there until later in the cruise. Just go out to the wrap around promenade under the life boats (deck 4 on Freedom) and walk all the way forward. There will be stairs that take you up one deck, continue walking toward the front and you'll soon be at the heli pad with one of the best views on board. Second best place: Viking Crown Lounge. Easier to find, just take the aft elevators up to the very top

· Carpet is different colors on port & starboard sides of the ship. For instance. If you are standing in the forward elevator bank/staircase & look left the Hallway carpet may be navy & when you look right it's light green. When you are in the aft bank the hallways may be pink & light green. CAREFUL don't get confused because one of the colors will repeat itself.

· The closest gangway to the port fence entrance is almost always the only one people see, but not the only one available. Your mileage may vary with this one depending on your port/boat. But, look and you will see if it's true for you.

· PORT = LEFT and STARBOARD = RIGHT

· When you first get onboard look at the light next to your cabin door. Look at the design. The side that is curved is toward the bow (forward) and side that is flat is towards the stern (aft). When I am lost I always look at the lights to get my bearings.

Stateroom

· Regarding the coffee table--if you're not going to use it, just ask your room steward to remove it--easy as pie!

· We also find that it's easier to find your stateroom if you decorate your door with a magnet, photo or your CC door sign! Those long hallways look alike & sometimes feel like they never end!

Food

· Breakfast and lunch in the MDR - better food and calmer than the Windjammer.

· I get my scrambled eggs at the omelet station and they are delicious. I sometimes can get fried eggs there as well, although they do not always have the eggs available in the shell.

· Many folks don't find the Sea View cafe on Radiance class ships. The easiest way is to go toward the back of the Windjammer on the starboard side and take those stairs up to deck 12. Turn right and the Sea View is just ahead.

· Cafe Promenade ???? for shrimp salad and egg sandwiches. They are usually served on the second or third day of the cruise.

· On sea days the Tutti salad bar in the main dining room is awesome.

· For people new to RCI, make sure you walk all the way to the back of the Windjammer. On the left and right sides are the same buffet setups, so you'd think that's all there is, but if you go to the very back end (the third side of the triangle), it's a completely different set-up with Asian/Indian foods, sandwiches, hamburgers, eggs cooked to order in the morning, etc.

· Order room service, even if it's just a snack - spinach dip in the afternoon (ask for extra chips!), or chocolate chip cookies and milk at night. It feels so indulgent (at least to us!).

· If you or your kids are milk drinkers remember. The little containers are out in the WJ for breakfast only. If you want milk after that you will have to ask a server. I find it quicker to bring an extra one down and put it in the Cabin refrig and just grab it before lunch.

Services

· Sauna, steam room, bigger showers, and tons of towels in the fitness center locker rooms.

· The purser's desk will be happy to punch a hole in your Seapass card if you wish to keep it on a lanyard.

· The front desk does (or at least they used to) keeps basic sea sickness pills in stock. Drag yourself to the front desk (or send someone healthy to go for you) and ask for them and they are free. This is great for folks who didn't think they would get seasick and didn't pack medication.

Photo Ideas

· Check the floor of the elevator as they change a plate as the days go by, Monday to Tuesday, Tuesday to Wednesday etc. Take a picture of it each day so it helps you organize pictures later.

· Take a close up photo of the Cruise Compass which will show date, port etc. as soon as you receive it. This will nicely divide photos to help with future identification.

Beverages

· There's usually one water fountain, usually near the basketball court. Nice place to get some water without having to beg or tip someone.

· If a beer drinker, bring along your favorite "koozie" or "huggie"

Shopping

· The shops pay up to $100,000 per year to advertise and have their shops highlighted on the map. And RCL girl gets 10% of all sales from what her cruise shoppers buy.

· If you're looking to buy ship souvenirs, T-shirts & such (besides stuff you bought in ports) wait for the last 2 days on board. That's when they unveil all the stock & clearance items!

Convenience Ideas

· There are 2.5 gallon ones available. Pop your clothes in, add water, then add a dollop of the provided shampoo, seal, and shake to create your own washing machine. An elastic travel wash line comes in handy as well so you can position clothes under the a/c vent where it should dry faster than in the damp bathroom. Make a "clothing burrito" with a bath towel and squish it hard to get the water out before you hang things up to reduce drying time.

· Guests in balcony rooms can request loungers. We had two connecting D1's on the Liberty this year and managed to fit two loungers on our slightly larger, combined balcony space. Ask your cabin attendant on embarkation day, and if there are any extras, you should be able to get one. Ours were obviously queued for upgrades (slightly worn, wood lacking varnish), but they still did the trick!

· I always get at least $50 in $1s to give as tips (as well as $5s, $10s, etc.).

· To keep in touch with my kids, use the voicemail on our cabin phone. There are phones all over the ship and conveniently by the elevators. The kids would call the room and leave a message of where they were currently located and where they were going next. If I ever wanted to find them, I'd just listen to the voicemail on the cabin phone, or leave a message for them where to find me.

Thanks Reuben! My eyes started to cross during the whole "chair hog" debacle and I missed some of the tips you have listed. I've been sailing for 20 years and I still learn new things/ideas on these boards.

You are so spot on with your tips. We just wrote down some tips for a co-worker taking their first cruise on FOS and put many of your suggestions down for them..HOWEVER, you managed to put so many good tips that we had totally forgotten about and even a few new ones (got to remember the lights on the wall tip). Great tips. Thanks from someone who has been on 10 cruises and still learning new tips.

You are so spot on with your tips. We just wrote down some tips for a co-worker taking their first cruise on FOS and put many of your suggestions down for them..HOWEVER, you managed to put so many good tips that we had totally forgotten about and even a few new ones (got to remember the lights on the wall tip). Great tips. Thanks from someone who has been on 10 cruises and still learning new tips.

I don't want to take credit for these tips. I have never been on a cruise (my first is coming up April 2nd...Serenade of the Seas). I really appreciate all of the tips from others...Cruise Critic is what ROCKS!

As long as I put together my list from your tips, I thought that I would post it.

I must confess I haven't read all the pages, but saw some posts about elevators and wanted to post a reminder. Some people who use the elevator to go just one floor may have a physical condition that isn't visible. I have Cardiomyopathy/Heart Failure. I'm in my 50's and look physically fit and healthy. I can't walk up even one flight of stairs and it's horribly embarrassing for me to know that without going into an explanation of my condition, others think I'm just lazy. It's also embarrassing to feel I need to explain that I'm so ill. Until just over a year ago, I was bounding up the stairs. I'm desperate to make this cruise without a wheelchair. I know there are those that use the elevator as a convenience, just please remember that some of us would gladly go up the stairs; we just can't, and I might be on a cruise with you. My daughters are taking me on 2 cruises this year, in large part because of my diagnosis. Sorry to be a downer..just wanted to post a reminder that we never know what's going on with our fellow cruisers.

I must confess I haven't read all the pages, but saw some posts about elevators and wanted to post a reminder. Some people who use the elevator to go just one floor may have a physical condition that isn't visible. I have Cardiomyopathy/Heart Failure. I'm in my 50's and look physically fit and healthy. I can't walk up even one flight of stairs and it's horribly embarrassing for me to know that without going into an explanation of my condition, others think I'm just lazy. It's also embarrassing to feel I need to explain that I'm so ill. Until just over a year ago, I was bounding up the stairs. I'm desperate to make this cruise without a wheelchair. I know there are those that use the elevator as a convenience, just please remember that some of us would gladly go up the stairs; we just can't, and I might be on a cruise with you. My daughters are taking me on 2 cruises this year, in large part because of my diagnosis. Sorry to be a downer..just wanted to post a reminder that we never know what's going on with our fellow cruisers.

This is so true and people need to realize that not all illnesses and disabilities are visable. I am in my early 30's and I received a rare 4 organ transplant at the age of 30. While I look physically fit and a LOT younger than my age (too the point that some people think my hubby is my father :eek:), I too am unable to do stairs well and get exhausted easily.

People need to learn not to judge a book by its cover!

This is so true and people need to realize that not all illnesses and disabilities are visable. I am in my early 30's and I received a rare 4 organ transplant at the age of 30. While I look physically fit and a LOT younger than my age (too the point that some people think my hubby is my father :eek:), I too am unable to do stairs well and get exhausted easily.

People need to learn not to judge a book by its cover!

If you had read all the posts you would have seen that nobody is trying to judge anyone based on their appearance. What was said is that there are people that could use the stairs to go down (or up) one flight that don't. That at least is what I was referring to. I would never attempt to determine who those people are, but I just know they are out there.;)

We often travel with a large family group. You can get an extra door key to share with other members in your family/group. Sometimes we will all meet up an someones cabin before dinner or after lunch. As my mother (age 85) says, "I'll be relaxing on the balcony. Use the key and come in when you get here" (They cannot charge on the "extra key.) On the Mariner, last Feb., my daughter and sil would put my grandaughter down for a nap, set up a baby monitor and slip into our cabin (next door) to watch TV or sit on the balcony. I guess that's another great tip for multi-generations with a small child. Baby monitor works well. (We had 4 aft cabins in our group on that sailing - The two end cabins had a huge wrap around "patio". I guess even another tip is the aft cabins often have two loungers, two chairs, small table and tons of room. We consider the balconies to be patios. Well worth the walk.:)

If you had read all the posts you would have seen that nobody is trying to judge anyone based on their appearance. What was said is that there are people that could use the stairs to go down (or up) one flight that don't. That at least is what I was referring to. I would never attempt to determine who those people are, but I just know they are out there.;)

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I forgot to mention that I too didn't finish reading through all the posts as it got to be a bit much. I was just making an added comment to the previous poster.

My apologies and from now on I will think ahead and read everything before posting!

I have combined the tips for bringing a night light and a glade plug in into one and buy the glade that comes with a light. It helps when I wake up in the middle of the night wondering "where am I?" and the scent is good, especially if the last guests didn't leave such a fresh scent.

Just a quick funny story about the day-of-the-week elevator plates. Years ago, we were on an elevator when a young couple walked in. The woman said, "Hmmm, it looks like all the elevators have names? This one is Tuesday." Her boyfriend or husband replied "You're right! The one we were on yesterday was Monday." :eek: I would have tried to explain it to them, but I was speechless. One thing for sure though, they were meant for each other!

Speaking of Glade plug ins. (I posted that hint!)

We just got off a 12 nighter on the Explorer. We were showing our cabin for a cabin crawl (9328 Jr. Suite on the Hump). When everyone came into our room they all went "Ahhhhh, it smells so nice in here!" just like in the glade commercials! Once I told them they all said... "What a good idea!" It was funny. Even our cabin steward complimented. Nothing fancy, not fruity or perfumey, just smells clean & fresh! It's the "Fresh Waters" scent.

Yes! The Tutti Salad bar is offered on every sea day in the main dining room across the fleet. It offers many items that are not upstairs in the Windjammer. Things like separated spinach, radicchio, romaine or iceberg lettuces, shrimp, grillled chicken, tuna & prosciutto. Also Brie, mozzarella bococcinis & Feta cheeses! Mmmm and artisan breads. Just so you know they WILL take your bowl of salad & use a pizza cutter to "chop it up" so it all blends together. Dont forget you can always get a tray & they weill be more than happy to give you the plate covers so that you may take it up to your stateroom to eat on your balcony if you like.

The Tutti Salad bar is one of my favorites!

Please have it delivered to Queens, NY!

Thanks!

I have been compiling a word doc as this thread went on, I see Reuben already grabbed many of these but thought I'd c/p my own word doc for others-

Sail Away:

A favorite sail away spot for me is the helicopter landing pad at the very front of the ship (Voyager, Freedom and Radiance classes). Most folks don't figure out the way there until later in the cruise. Just go out to the wrap around promenade under the life boats (deck 4 on Freedom) and walk all the way forward. There will be stairs that take you up one deck, continue walking toward the front and you'll soon be at the heli pad with one of the best views on board.

The peek-a-boo Bridge is also a great place for sailaway.

Food and Beverage:

Breakfast and lunch in the MDR - better food and calmer than the Windjammer.

At lunch on the 4th day, the Windjammer was pretty full so we kept heading aft to find an open table. And we found the open air seating area across the stern of the ship. For the rest of the cruise, that is where we ate.

The weird scrambled eggs on the buffet I think are "icky" (Maybe made from powered eggs??). I get my scrambled eggs at the omelet station and they are delicious.

On Freedom class ships (not sure about the others) on the day you leave, the crew will direct you to the Windjammer for lunch, if you want to skip the crowd you can have pizza or a sandwich on the Promenade deck.

Many folks don't find the Sea View cafe on Radiance class ships. The easiest way is to go toward the back of the Windjammer on the starboard side and take those stairs up to deck 12. Turn right and the Sea View is just ahead.

If you like shrimp, be sure to check the Cafe Promenade for shrimp salad and egg sandwiches. They are usually served on the second or third day of the cruise. Yummy!

Not that we need anything else to eat, but...you can ask one of the bartenders for trail mix in the bars...nice little snack between meals if you need one.

On sea days the Tutti salad bar in the main dining room is awesome. This is not like any salad bar you have ever been to.

Still hungry after your main course in the MDR? Ask for another. They're happy to do it.

Bring a case of bottled water or your favorite bottled drink as checked baggage. Pick it up dirt cheap at grocery store in your embarkation city. Throw a luggage tag on it, drop it off at the curb, and it will show up in your cabin. Just don't sneak anything else in one of the inside bottles.

make sure you walk all the way to the back of the Windjammer. On the left and right sides are the same buffet setups, so you'd think that's all there is, but if you go to the very back end (the third side of the triangle), it's a completely different set-up with Asian/Indian foods, sandwiches, hamburgers, eggs cooked to order in the morning, etc.**

if you are in a GS or above, you can take your food from the Windjammer into one of the nearby specialty restaurants (Ask the crew which one is being used for the suite service), there you will have tables with table cloths, dedicated waiters who will bring your drinks. It is a very nice place to dine when the WJ is busy. In the morning, they will bring coffee, rolls, fresh OJ to your table, all you have to do is get your main food from the buffet line.

Escargot is available at Chops and Portofino on the formal night that it is offered in the MDR. But you have to ask.

When first getting on ship go to main dinng room and check out where you are sitting E.G. near door to kitchen (last cruise) , too near waiter station (always getting bumped into) in the corner etc.. Go to maitre d and get changed.

I bring a portable water bottle rather than drinking 4 cups in the WJ.

Portofino &/or Chops is available for platinum members+ for dining in the WJ on freedom class & voyager class. Have not sailed on oasis yet.

If you like the grand marnier souffles ( which are no longer on the menu) ask your head waiter if your table can have them on a particular day i.e. (Someone celebrating) they will do it!

Order room service, even if it's just a snack - spinach dip in the afternoon (ask for extra chips!), or chocolate chip cookies and milk at night. It feels so indulgent (at least to us!).

Visit the Windjammer for an afternoon snack about 3:00 - nachos with wonderful guacamole, and AMAZING bread pudding, among many other choices. MMMM....

When you order a late afternoon or evening glass of champagne (or actually anything from the Champagne Bar) on most ships, you are treated to a little plate of cheeses and canapes. I used the two-for-one coupons in our Gold booklet to fetch flutes of champagne for myself and my husband and took everything (even the canapes) back to our cabin to enjoy while dressing for formal night. From what I could tell, the canapes were of the same sort served to suite guests in the concierge lounge.

If you buy alcohol in port (or on the ship) I will be delivered to your room the last evening (as birdcat says) but if you don't have it at a decent time ... start asking early. We did not have ours, and waited untill 10:00 to ask about it... took another 15 min to find it and then 45 min to get it up to our room.

If you or your kids are milk drinkers remember. The little containers are out in the WJ for breakfast only. If you want milk after that you will have to ask a server. I find it quicker to bring an extra one down and put it in the Cabin refrig and just grab it before lunch.

If you like coffee first thing in the morning, order a pot from room service the night before. They will call you before they deliver, making the process double as a wake-up call!

You can go to the champagne bar4, and ask to purchase a champagne cocktail package. It was around $40.00- $45.00. You get 10 champagne cocktails. ON the back is a list of 10 different ones to choose from. You are able to chose as you wish - not just one of each. There is the classic mimosa, bellina (with peach liquor and creme de cassis) ST. Mortiz (apricot brandy, gin and orange juice), Kir Royale (creme de cassis(, London special (augusura bitters and sugar), etc. All of these are mixed with champagne. There is 5 more chamagne drinks as well.

The drink of the day usually comes in a blinking RCL cup or souvenir hurricane glass which runs about $7-8 bucks. You are always able to ask your server for the drink in a regular cup which will only be about $5 bucks or so.They will gladly fulfill the request. If you are at Labadee it might not be available because they use the sports bottles for the coco-locos.

There is a new feature called the Savory Lunch! They don't advertise it much but for $50 you get a nice lunch in a specialty restaurant along with a galley tour! Spots are limited, but you may even get the exec. Chef to give your tour. You also receive a copy of the Savor cookbook. I believe you sign up @ either specialty restaurant host desk.

An App For That:

I have an IPhone 4 with an app on it for RCCL. Once out to sea I put my phone on airplane mode and use the deck plans on my phone to get around. On the Majesty someone asked if I knew where a bathroom is, I pulled out my phone and showed them.

Shipmate is a great app. It allows me to check price drops/prices from anywhere. The app has deck plans for all RCCL ships.

Ship Layout-

Check the floor of the elevator as they change a plate as the days go by, Monday to Tuesday, Tuesday to Wednesday etc. Take a picture of it each day so it helps u organize pictures later.

Don't miss the "peekaboo bridge" on Voyager class ships on deck 11 all the way forward.

My get-away from the cruise: Every night, after dinner, I take a long slow walk around the ship on the lowest open deck.

On some ships you can follow exterior stairs to little used levels. Don't violate the 'crew only' signs but go everywhere else you can reach. Some wonderful views aft, and on some ships, you can get below the bridge. To preserve their night vision, this is usually a dark location also.

Another secret... there are cameras everywhere out on these decks. Bad place to get too romantic.

Carpet is different colors on port & starboard sides of the ship. For instance. If you are standing in the forward elevator bank/staircase & look left the Hallway carpet may be navy & when you look right it's light green. When you are in the aft bank the hallways may be pink & light green. CAREFUL don't get confused because one of the colors will repeat itself. It WILL however be diagonal. I.e... The green may be forward port & then aft starboard.

Sit in the rear of the theatre, you will be one of the first ones out & don't get stuck bottlenecking. OR After shows, muster drill& ice skating go outside for a walk elevators are hard to come by.

Here's another seldom used spot: on the Navigator, there's an outdoor seating area that overlooks the sports court on the opposite side ofthe ship from the rock wall. There's only about loose chairs and 2 or 3 round tables, so it's small. The bar inside is usually very quiet and seldom used if you'd rather be indoors.

On the voyager class aft there is are stairways to go from one deck to another. Don't know if you are supposed to used them, but.... they are there and they are convenient if you want to get to aft cabins on higher or lower decks. Not much traffic on them - never saw anyone at all.

Men's room on deck 10 on the Voyager looks out over water.

If you get caught short on a Freedom or Voyager class ship, remember that the boy's bathrooms are on the port side and the girl's bathrooms are on the starboard side.

In the Women's Public Restrooms, each stall has an outside "Occupied" indicator on the handle...When occupied, you'll see a small red circle...When free, you'll see a small green circle.

When you first get onboard look at the light next to your cabin door. Look at the design. The side that is curved is toward the bow (forward) and side that is flat is towards the stern (aft).

Cabin features-

tho' robes are not given to pax unless they are C&A Platinum or above, many times you can get robes just by asking your cabin steward.

Pack a surge protector for all your gadgets that need charging.

If traveling w/ kids pack a nightlight.

Bring a travel alarm clock. I've tried to use my iPhone alarm but can get tricky w/ time zone changes.

If you are on the promenade on a voyager class ship & see the promenade room on deck six that a has a view of the Ben & Jerrys cabooses (your stateroom gets free ice cream daily!)

Bringing a small identifier near the cabin door for those who get "landmarks" more than numbers could be helpful. A postcard clipped to the paper slot, a ribbon on the knob, just something easy for identification.

You might want to bring along one of those over-the-door, shoe-pocket bags. Hang it facing inside or outside on the bathroom door, and you can keep handy a lot of the little things you need (comb, hairbrush, hair clips, curling iron, make-up bag, razor, pills, little bottles of shampoo, creams, toothpaste, little flashlight, etc.) without taking up so much bathroom counter or room vanity table space.

After cruising multiple times with toddlers and even babies, I stopped bringing so many grocery store bags to seal used diapers in when I realized that you can ask your cabin attendant to stock you up with disposal bag

I ALWAYS bring a glade plug-in with the same scent I have at home.

Guests in balcony rooms can request loungers. We had two connecting D1's on the Liberty this year and managed to fit two loungers on our slightly larger, combined balcony space. Ask your cabin attendant on embarkation day, and if there are any extras, you should be able to get one.

moving the coffee table into the closet gives you a little more floor space and one less thing to bump into.

Regarding the coffee table--if you're not going to use it, just ask your room steward to remove it--easy as pie!

I always wanted to keep in touch with my kids. So, we used the voicemail on our cabin phone. There are phones all over the ship and conveniently by the elevators. The kids would call the room and leave a message of where they were currently located and where they were going next.

Health, fitness,and beauty-

The steam and saunas inside the locker rooms on Voyager and Freedom class ships are at no charge. (can't remember if Radiance class has these too) And if you want a larger shower, use those in the locker room which are bigger than those in your cabin if you are in less than a Jr. Suite or higher.

If you're tired of your ity-bity shower, head down to the spa, get a locker from the attendant and use the showers in the locker room, (as well as a steam or sauna).

Ladies, I've heard this is a great (or at least better) place to shave your legs.

Don't pay for the yoga or Pilates classes. They are worthless. The staff don't have a clue what they are doing. I have seen them put people into postures doing what they think is Yoga that can be dangerous for the people.

Speaking of Yoga and Pilates, I grab a mat from the gym and take it up to the lounge on the top of the ship. No one else is there early in the AM and it is a wonderful place for me to do my Yoga and Pilates routine without being disturbed.

There's usually one water fountain, usually near the basketball court. Nice place to get some water without having to beg or tip someone.

Misc.

The purser's desk will be happy to punch a hole in your Seapass card if you wish to keep it on a lanyard.

Bring a laundry bag, extra ziplock bags. Things like sunblock & batteries should be brought from home. They are costly on board.

Sign up for crown & anchor if you havent already. Book your appts with the crown & anchor desks early. They fill up quickly towards the end of the sailing.

Bring a highlighter, look over the Compass each night, and highlight a few things you would like to do the next day

Bring binoculars, whether you have a balcony or not. In port and even at sea they're great to have to check out what's out there.

As for lanyards, the casino also has them for free at the cashier. Save, save, save. More money for the casino!

Since there's no self-laundry, a reasonable substitute for those looking to pack minimally and not send their wash out is a large ziplock bag. There are 2.5 gallon ones available. Pop your clothes in, add water, then add a dollop of the provided shampoo, seal, and shake to create your own washing machine. An elastic travel wash line comes in handy as well so you can position clothes under the a/c vent where it should dry faster than in the damp bathroom. Make a "clothing burrito" with a bath towel and squish it hard to get the water out before you hang things up to reduce drying time. I bring a flocked hanger for air drying tops and since it is velvet flock, other things like socks will also stay when draped over it. If you have a hanging suiter, this can be the hanger you pack as it is slimmer than the larger wooden/plastic ones.

RCCL cruises - at least the 7+ day ones - have a 70's party one of the evenings. It's hugely fun, even if you weren't a child of the disco era. I wish I'd known before my first cruise so I could have packed some tacky 70s clothes to wear. I've made sure to dress for the occasion on subsequent RCCL cruises!

If you need small bills the last night of the cruise, in order to give an extra tip, check out the change machine in the casino. Otherwise, you'll be stuck waiting in a VERY long line of people at customer service who are trying to pay their bill or fix a problem the final night of the cruise.

Don't buy t-shirts early in the cruise. As days pass the motherload of shirts will be laid out on tables on the ship for $10 each. Plus if you wait for the make-a-wish walk your T-shirt money will go to a better cause. You'll walk a mile (or not.) You can donate the $10 and get a t-shirt that will help fulfill a wish!

Bring something small from your town for your servers or chocolates! eg baseball hat or deck of Vegas cards

If you're looking to buy ship souvenirs, T-shirts & such (besides stuff you bought in ports) wait for the last 2 days on board. That's when they unveil all the stock & clearance items! Just be careful you don't get trampled on at the watch boxed sets table! Haha!

I always get at least $50 in $1s to give as tips (as well as $5s, $10s, etc.). Once we get in the room, the wallet and keys go in the safe (don't forget you will need to retrieve the wallet before going ashore).

Excursions:

This has been touched on in other threads, but I thought I should mention here that for those interested in a Labadee cabana but NOT staying in a suite, it is possible to reserve one through the concierge if there are any available that have not already been claimed. They are not cheap (I believe $150 or $200 for the day?), but they sure do make for a nice day at Labadee at the best beach there for kids. Not everyone knows that others besides just suite guests can potentially get access to a cabana.

Look for private excursions - Do your research on the Ports of Call boards here on CC and on TripAdvisor. Their livelihoods are dependent on getting you back to the ship on time. One bad review on one of the message boards, and they lose a TON of business, so they know how important it is. Even more important to us than the cost savings (most of the time) with private tours is the fact that the tours are almost always with MUCH smaller groups.

Wear some earbud headphones. Just stick the wire down your shirt. When you walk past those annoying peddlers you can simply ignore them without appearing rude. They'll assume you can't hear them over your music.

I spent 20 on the port shopping book because they did 2 for 1 on the Drink of the Day with the smiley face sticker on your card.

I have been compiling a word doc as this thread went on, I see Reuben already grabbed many of these but thought I'd c/p my own word doc for others-

Thanks gnocchi_mommy. I added more to my list. :)