RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

I read through most of this thread and didn't see this.

I've only cruised once so I am by no means an expert.

Heading out again in May on FOC.

We took our first cruise in 2007 on the Carnival Holiday.

Neither my wife nor I drink soda or any sugary drinks (unless they have alcohol in them of course) so we were excited to hear that they had free unsweetened iced tea as we drink a lot of it at home. It was TERRIBLE. Too strong, too bitter and clearly designed to have you buy soda! :-)

On our upcoming cruise we plan to bring those individual packets with unsweetened tea that we could just add to water. One could easily do the same with other flavored or sweetened drinks.

I assume this would be allowed.

it is allowed. we have go to the local dollar store before we cruise and pick a bunch of flavors up. no one has ever said anything

• 2 months later...
Check the floor of the elevator as they change a plate as the days go by, Monday to Tuesday, Tuesday to Wednesday etc. Take a picture of it each day so it helps u organize pictures later. Also there is something a out different colored carpet on port and aft? Please help on this one CC'ers...

Thats an Amazing idea!

YES CHARGE for the special (co-ed) steam room, with heated stone benches, floor-to-ceiling windows, aromatherapy steam rooms, etc. -- you can buy a pass for that on a daily or full-cruise basis -- best deal is the "couples" package, which you can book with anyone! (I believe this is only available on Radiance class and above.)

Does anyone know the cost of this on the freedom class ship?

We love booking the Rasual on a port day. You can book it anytime during that day for a great price. It is a steam room where you rub scrubs and muds on your partner and then have a wonderful shower. It is a MUST do for us on every cruise.

Does anyone know the cost of this on the freedom class ship?

We love booking the Rasual on a port day. You can book it anytime during that day for a great price. It is a steam room where you rub scrubs and muds on your partner and then have a wonderful shower. It is a MUST do for us on every cruise.

I am also interested in this for freedom...any info?

Boy, after reading all the snippy culture war back-and-forths on this thread, the tales of line cutters and elevator brutes, then tales of lounge-chair hogs, has me wondering why I ever signed up for my first cruise! What awful people! Will I regret spending 11 nights with them? I'm terribly depressed because it's too late to cancel. :)

Thank you to those who gave useful tips. They were very helpful.

Well, as a Brit, myself, I must tell you that if you want to find the worst chair hogs (apart from the French and the Germans!) then go on a P and O cruise out of the UK. You aint seen nothing yet, when it comes to chair hogging!

On a P and O cruise some years ago on Arcadia (now long gone to Australia) we were on a 17 night cruise which was wonderful, apart from the professional chair hoggers. These people would dump their towels and a paperback book on their chairs at 8.00 am and then disappear for the rest of the day. If you dared to move the offending objects after several hours had elapsed they would suddenly return and take you to task. We even met one couple who were regular chair hoggers who said the wife had cancer and needed the chair - it later transpired this was a total fabrication. The depths to which they would stoop!

Oh, and please don't lump us together with Europeans! :D We are nothing to do with the French, Germans, Spaniards, Italians, etc. We hated their behaviour on our Voyager Mediterranean cruise last year and would never consider another one out of an Italian port.

As for 'bagging' a table first in the Buffet, well we always find a suitable table first and then someone sits while the others go and get their food - apologies if it offends anyone. Don't see the point of walking round with a rapidly cooling plate of food. And we are more than happy to sit with perfect strangers, if all the tables are full, as it is a wonderful way to meet people. We have always thoroughly enjoyed our conversations with people we have met this way.

I have only one 'tip' and that is for all those who complain about the elevators (see, I am learning the lingo, I didn't say 'lift'!) being slow to arrive. Use the stairs, unless you are physically incapable of doing so. And let's face it, some of the very obese people you see on cruise ships could do with the exercise. It always astonishes me to see able bodied young people getting in the lift to go down one level. Now I have to admit, I cannot nowadays, run up 12 flights of stairs, and will use a lift to go up if necessary, but on a cruise my husband and I try to walk downstairs whenever we can. ;)

What do you do when you only want one thing in say a salad line. Do you excuse yourself and reach and get it? or stand in line and wait until the line gets to the one thing you want? Say a radish. Or a roll, or some butter?

I tend to excuse myself and reach, but don't know if this is correct either.

Assume everyone else is in line for just one radish and wait your turn :mad:

I am on page 12 and sorry... tired from reading... so here is my contribution:

1) do you ever forget where your table is in the buffet? :o this is why I take a blazer or cardigan to the buffet with me - hanging on the back of my chair, it makes it easier for me to find the way back

2) dunno why, my husband twice already tried to open another cabin door with his key, luckily nobody was "at home" to scream :p so I bring a magnet from home - and I also like something from home to greet me at the door

I like the iced tea. I put in a couple of lemons and lots of ice. ;)

And yes, you can bring packets to add to water.:)

I don't care for their coffee. On our last cruise, we brought our Aeropress and some coffee. We had a JR. Suite, so it was a matter of heating the water in the coffee pot (the tea kettle didn't worK).

I wouldn't dream of standing in a long line to pick up an apple. I agree with Avista, but would add that I hover a moment until the person notices me and my reach won't annoy anyone. This technique works, of course, only if you are QUICK, smile, ask pardon as you are reaching and say thank you.

When the food distribution is laid out as "food stations" there really isn't a "line" or in the traditional cafeteria line, I see no issue with asking "pardon me" and reaching in for a single discrete item like fruit, butter or a roll. Picking up a ladle or spoon and scooping stuff out would be the exception.

Edited by cruzincurt

4. And one last thing, if you purchase an item in the ship store and there is a sale later, you can take them the receipt and they will refund the difference to your sea pass account.

Sherri

This tip sooo just saved me all future angst on ship store shopping decisions!

THANKS!!

Is it still possible to get an upgrade after checking in at the port. I have done this years ago and was just wondering if it is still being done. My sailing still has lots of jr suites and it is just 4 weeks away. Has anyone done this recently?

I believe it's theoretically possible, but highly unlikely. Royal's revenue department handles the bulk of the upgrades now. There are very few staterooms left for the Crown & Anchor people to assign.

On the RCCL App, before going onto airplane mode,go to your ship, go to view deck plans, and view each deck of the ship, as you leave each deck by pressing ship details, iphone will automatically save the previous deck that you viewed. Simply view all deck plans and they are saved for when you are using airplane mode later on.

Helped me lots, and a great navigation tool in your pocket

If you love iced coffee, Maxwell House now sells the travel packets (similar to Crystal Light). They are sold in the coffee aisle. I've only purchased Hazelnut but they may have other flavors. We bring a box or 2 of those-delicious iced coffee in an instant!

Not sure how this works. I just downloaded the app b/c I thought it was awesome information, but once internet connection is turned off the app and deck plans will not work. It says internet connection lost try again later. It would be nice if it worked though. Am I doing something wrong?

• 3 weeks later...
Is it still possible to get an upgrade after checking in at the port. I have done this years ago and was just wondering if it is still being done. My sailing still has lots of jr suites and it is just 4 weeks away. Has anyone done this recently?

Unfortunately it didn't work for us on LOS last week. :(

The generally accepted way to walk or run around the ship is counterclockwise. On some ships there are arrows posted to guide passengers.

However English passengers are requested to walk or run anticlockwise ;) One of the interesting differences between the same language.