Would you swim or stay on shore in late December?

Gadgetmonster

I am having trouble scheduling an excursion in Nassau. There are 6 of us from Indiana that will be there on December 21st. As we look at things to do most involve swimming or something in the water. No doubt us Hoosiers will look like ghosts in late December. Still if it is plenty warm we would peal off our shirts and snorkel and swim with the fishes. But if it is just cool and we have reserved a snorkeling tour we won't enjoy ourselves much. Do you think it will be warm enough or should we play it safe and do an island tour or something like that? Any suggestions for us ghosts in late December???

Ha Ha... same here. We spent many weekends on our bowrider boat this summer tuning up our tan. Looked good! Now look like Casper. Ha Ha

Oh well. I think we will just book an Island sightseeing tour and see some local places and stop for a bit at the beaches. If it is hot we will just enjoy the tour in our summer clothes and maybe walk the beach. Scheduling a Snorkeling excursion is just to risky.

I live in Florida year round, I am not hesitating to plan a snorkeling trip (I leave 2 days before you it looks like). To me the water will be cold, but then I'm not used to swimming in northern lakes.

If you're family is from Indiana your lake temperature in the summer is about 75 degrees. Our ocean in December is about the same temperature. So you most likely will feel very comfortable.

Now about the pale skin... Only the people on tv are tan. The majority of Native Floridians are the pale ones. We only go outside at dark or winter. I don't know if the same is true for the bahamas, but I know here we have a large tourism industry, and only the tourists worry about being pale. The natives are fine with our pale skin. The sun is too harsh here, and you will burn too quickly, so we mostly stay indoors. (Not very good for the waist-line.) So do as the locals do, don't worry about the color of your skin. Just make sure you are having a good time.

Two years ago we snorkeled out of Nassau in late Dec and thought it was just fine. I suppose it depends on what you are used to when you usually go in the water. We frequent a northeast beach that barely hits 70 by the end of the summer. In Nassau the water temp was in the high 70s with air temp in the low 80s. It was cold at first, but we quickly warmed up and weren't bothered by the water temp at all once we began seeing the fish! The variety of fish in the water was awesome! We were a bit cool during the ride back to the dock, but cured this with a towel. It was a sunny day and we warmed up pretty quickly. We also snorkeled out of Nassau last April and happened upon a great deal just off the dock.

Archived