Christmas Markets - Form of payment

aklarsen

Depending on your stops - you may need forints, or czech koruna, or swiss francs. You can use Euros in Hungary, Switzerland or the Czech republic - but you (most likely) won't get a great exchange rate at the market stalls.

Depending on your stops - you may need forints, or czech koruna, or swiss francs. You can use Euros in Hungary, Switzerland or the Czech republic - but you (most likely) won't get a great exchange rate at the market stalls.

Good points on Euro exchange and local currency.:)

Steve

I wouldn't depend on the ship. Even if they did it (my UniWorld cruise did not) the exchange isn't likely to be great. If you have a good currency exchange it would be good to bring some cash with you. Otherwise, the ship will likely know the location of bank machines near the where you dock, and you can withdraw local currency. Bank machines are everywhree in Europe.

Yes, even if the ship offers exchange services they usually offer poor rates. I would and have always relied on ATM/Bank machines, or of course you can always go inside the bank or a major hotel in the area for exchange services.

ATM/Bank machines almost always offer the best rate as you get the currency when you need it rather than actually exchanging your foreign currency, plus you do not have to carry large quantities of foreign currency (dollars). With that said, you do not want to withdraw huge quantities of the local currency at one time if you are not going to be able to use it in another country.

Where are you going, you may only need one or two currencies.

Steve

Would it be best to do any currency exchange before I go? Or will the ship offer a currency exchange.

If you use your credit cards make sure you call your credit card companies before you leave and let them know that you will be traveling in Europe. That should prevent them from blocking your card for purchases.

Jill

Archived