St Peter PRT-what to do?

mrspaper

Have searched the threads and haven't found any info. on St Peter PRT. Is this a DIY or should we hire a guide? What is there to do in this port?

Have not visited here, but from a quick Internet search, here are some notes and info. Saint Peter Port is the capital of Guernsey as well as the main port with a population in 2001 of 16,488. As well as being a parish, St. Peter Port is a small town consisting mostly of steep narrow streets and steps on the overlooking slopes. It is known that a trading post/town has existed here since before Roman times, the pre christian name of which has not survived into the modern era. St. Peter Port is located on the East coast of Guernsey. The land in the North and by the harbour is low lying but in the South, the land gets much higher (but not as high as St Martin's or the Forest). This means that there are quite a few cliffs on the coast between Havelet and Fermain. From Wikipedia, they note the features of the town include:

* The Royal Court House, seat of the States of Guernsey

* Hauteville House, Victor Hugo's house of exile (now a museum run by the city of Paris)

* The Town Church, the parish church of St Peter Port at the heart of the town

* St Peter Port Harbour

* Castle Cornet, the historic fortress that guarded the strategic entrance to the port. The castle was formerly a tidal island that has been joined by a breakwater to the enlarged harbour since 1859.

* Elizabeth College founded in 1563 by Elizabeth I of England. The main building (built 1826) is a prominent feature of the skyline.

* The market, the Arcade, the High Street and the Pollet, which are all part of the shopping district

* The Guernsey Aquarium, situated in fortified tunnels built by the ****s during the German Occupation.

You can also check:

http://www.visitguernsey.com/stpeterport

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Guernsey/Saint_Peter_Port-733193/TravelGuide-Saint_Peter_Port.html

Hope this helps a little. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 24,900 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

A nice thing to do is take the public bus around the island,it will cost approx £1 each,it gives a good overview of the island,St peter port is very steep and not to bad for shopping

Thge only downside is that you are not guranteed to tender in its a lovely island and worth a vist

We were on a cruise in Aug. and I loved Guernsey. We took the bus around the island, getting off at the German Occupation Museum (interesting), then getting a different bus to the Little Chapel which is just adorable. The only problem was that we had to wait about 40 minutes to get the return bus to St. Peter Port from the chapel. In my opinion the Little Chapel is not to be missed. You might want to hire a taxi. We did walk around the cute town but didn't take time for the castle.

We were on a cruise in Aug. and I loved Guernsey. We took the bus around the island, getting off at the German Occupation Museum (interesting), then getting a different bus to the Little Chapel which is just adorable. The only problem was that we had to wait about 40 minutes to get the return bus to St. Peter Port from the chapel. In my opinion the Little Chapel is not to be missed. You might want to hire a taxi. We did walk around the cute town but didn't take time for the castle.

thanks, taxi sounds good

I loved this port. We got around via the public bus and a bit of walking.

The occupation museum is done by local volunteers and very informative and informal. We loved the nearby chapel with an amazing bell symphony when we were there. The underground war tunnels...not so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually from Guernsey so hopefully I can add in some local tips.

You'll dock by tender and then you can take a less than 5 minute walk before you're actually in the centre! If you want to stick in St Peter Port, then there are plenty of shops and restaurants to spend your time over. Restaurant wise, there are some great places; Christies, Moors does a great carvery every day, Dix Neuf is very popular...pretty much whatever your taste, they'll be something there. Moors also have a tea room which does a lovely cream tea!

When it comes to shopping just be aware that despite being portrayed as a tax free Island, a lot of the retailers charge the exact same price as in their UK stores. I do know that Boots and Au Caprice (perfumes, cosmetics etc) both are tax free.

If you want to go anywhere, then yes the bus is good, but like someone else pointed out, in some areas the bus only comes past the stop once very hour. So it might be worth getting the number of a taxi firm in advance just in case. Alternatively, you can walk towards 'town' as we call it, and more or less in front of you you'll see the taxi rank.

I would really recommend:

* The little chapel

* Castle Cornet

* Victor Hugo's house (only open at certain times though I think)

* German occupation museum

* German underground hospital (yes there's not much, but it's got a real atmosphere)

* Fort Grey (if you're interested in nautical history)

Alternatively, if you'd like to get a 'feel' for the Island, I can heartily recommend you catching a number 7 or 7a bus which takes you around the coast, then stop off at Pleinmont and go to the Imperial Hotel for lunch (note if a saturday or public holiday this place gets full as very popular so allow time or maybe book) and then get back on the number 7 again to head back to St Peter Port.

I could probably come up with more, but hopefully that gives you some inspiration on what you can do. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
I'm actually from Guernsey so hopefully I can add in some local tips.

You'll dock by tender and then you can take a less than 5 minute walk before you're actually in the centre! If you want to stick in St Peter Port, then there are plenty of shops and restaurants to spend your time over. Restaurant wise, there are some great places; Christies, Moors does a great carvery every day, Dix Neuf is very popular...pretty much whatever your taste, they'll be something there. Moors also have a tea room which does a lovely cream tea!

When it comes to shopping just be aware that despite being portrayed as a tax free Island, a lot of the retailers charge the exact same price as in their UK stores. I do know that Boots and Au Caprice (perfumes, cosmetics etc) both are tax free.

If you want to go anywhere, then yes the bus is good, but like someone else pointed out, in some areas the bus only comes past the stop once very hour. So it might be worth getting the number of a taxi firm in advance just in case. Alternatively, you can walk towards 'town' as we call it, and more or less in front of you you'll see the taxi rank.

I would really recommend:

* The little chapel

* Castle Cornet

* Victor Hugo's house (only open at certain times though I think)

* German occupation museum

* German underground hospital (yes there's not much, but it's got a real atmosphere)

* Fort Grey (if you're interested in nautical history)

Alternatively, if you'd like to get a 'feel' for the Island, I can heartily recommend you catching a number 7 or 7a bus which takes you around the coast, then stop off at Pleinmont and go to the Imperial Hotel for lunch (note if a saturday or public holiday this place gets full as very popular so allow time or maybe book) and then get back on the number 7 again to head back to St Peter Port.

I could probably come up with more, but hopefully that gives you some inspiration on what you can do. Enjoy!

Thank you for the excellent, first-hand information! :)

• 1 month later...

Archived