Carnival Conquest excursion help

wintercolor

Thank you to all who replied to my earlier post. We are first time cruisers and will be travelling on the Conquest in December. Our ports of sight-seeing will be Montago Bay, Cayman Islands and Cozumel. We have two boys age 10 and 4.5. I wanted to know about the excursions at these ports. Please post your experiences at these ports. We do not want to do excursions at all three but two will probably be good. Which ones will you recommend and what all is there to do? Did you book thru Carnival or on your own? What all do I need to know about spending a day at these ports with kids? If we do not book an excursion, what all options do I have of travelling on my own? I tried to do a search but I dont think I am doing it right because my results are not showing much.

Also I will be spending Christmas day on the ship .. where can I find out what special activities the ship has for such occasion, specially for the kids? Please share your experience if you have spend this day on ship.

Thank You all for your help!

Considering the age of your children I'd suggest Sunset Beach in Montego Bay. Lots of activities for the younger set and plenty to keep the adults occupied, as well.

It's a very short taxi ride from the cruise terminal to the resort. You can find their website here:

http://www.sunsetbeachresort.com/

You might want to consider the turtle farm tour on Grand Cayman... very cool.

Sadly, I don't have a clue about what to do with children on Cozumel...

:)

We just came back off of the Conquest and I can say that there is plenty to do in Cozumel if you do a little research into companies like Shoretrips.com etc. You can do a dolphin excursion or opt for a fun day at the beach where everyone can snorkel, kayak etc.

Don't be too adventuresome in Montego Bay. Either look into a planned excursion or head to Sunset Beach. Not a place where you can just wander into to town. Grand Cayman is a great place to just wander around and shop and eat. Safe and very clean.

We just came back off of the Conquest and I can say that there is plenty to do in Cozumel if you do a little research into companies like Shoretrips.com etc. You can do a dolphin excursion or opt for a fun day at the beach where everyone can snorkel, kayak etc.

Don't be too adventuresome in Montego Bay. Either look into a planned excursion or head to Sunset Beach. Not a place where you can just wander into to town. Grand Cayman is a great place to just wander around and shop and eat. Safe and very clean.

Its a bit of a walk, but I walked into town the last two times. I let people discourage me before that. Once you get past the port, the pushy people seem to mostly dissapear. A few cab drivers calling out to me, and I just waved back and kept on walking.. .. but too far to walk with young children... but I felt completely safe.

We cruised last month as while in Cozumel we did the Beginners Shore Snorkel through Carnival. It was priced reasonably at $23.95 for adults, not sure about children's pricing though. We met at the end of the pier in front of Ron-Jon's. Everything was well marked and organized. The tour guide led us to some taxi vans and we were transported to Sunset Beach which was about a 10 min drive. In fact we got great pictures of our ship from the beach. They had a very nice set up there. Very clean restrooms and changing areas and large locker rentals for $2 USD. They then gave us some instruction on how to use the mask and mouth piece and split us up in groups of around 5-6 per instructor, depending on your skill level. They led us into the water and, depending on your comfort level, you could practice your skills close to shore or out a little deeper. We saw lots of beautiful fish, coral and marine life. The guides were top notch and spent a lot of time with the beginners. There were serveral children and first timers in the group, and some in betweeners like me that wanted to get my skills down-pat in shallow water. My fiance has more skill and he went out to deeper water and took some nice pictures and enjoyed himself without the guides. The tour also provideded us with some professional photos of

us while in the water, they were $12 USD for an 8x10. They were also offering Massages on the beach but not sure how $$ as we didn't partake.

When you are done snorkeling you can have lunch in the attached open air restaurnat. For $8 USD we shared a plate of homemade tortilla chips, salsa and guacomole and 4 fish tacos with all the trimmings. They had some nice selections as well as a children's menu. They also have a small gift shop there as well. You can stay all day and swim and snorkel or go back to the ship at anytime you choose. They will hail you a taxi which is included in your excursion fare.

We were very pleased with this excursion and would highly recommend it to anyone who has children that want to learn to snorkel or any beginners that need some induvidual instruction and want to stay in a shore snorkel environment.

We stayed a few hours and were back at the pier area with plenty of time to do some shopping. We just took a change of dry clothes with us in a backpack and were good to go for the rest of the day.

Have a great time !!!!

Hoosier Couple (or anyone else who knows):

You said that Carnival's price for the Beginning Snorkeling at Sunset Beach Resort was $23.95 and that you stayed all day. If we booked through Sunset Beach themselves, what would they charge for a day? Or do they charge more because meals are included?

Wendy Jo (who is a native of Anderson, IN and lived there the first 48 years)

They said that even if we purchased the Carnival snorkeling excursion to come there, we would still have to pay the $60 per day price (food, drinks, and non-motorized water sports included)

Hoosier couple (or anyone else who knows), did you have to pay $60 in addition to the price you paid for the Carnival beginner's snorkeling excursion?

WendyJo, The Beginners Shore Snorkle was booked through the ship but the tour group was Sand Dollar Sports in Cozumel.( If you are a cruise ship passenger you can only book their excursions through the ship) The excursion was done at their Snorkel and Dive Center on Sunset Beach. It was across the street from a Resort, not sure which one, (perhaps this was an all inclusive resort??? not sure but it isn't the same as what we booked. We only paid the $23.95 per adult for the entire day. Transportation and snorkel equipment was included but lunch, locker rental and the 8x10 photo was not. I'm not sure about wave runners and other rentals as we just kind of concentrated on the snorkeling. You can google Sand Dollar and perhaps get some more info, but they are not any type of all inclusive, they just do some of the snorkel, scuba and catamaran excursions for CCL.

Cari

BTW, I should also add that the area where the dive club and snorkeling does not offer that great of a beach area at all. It is very rocky when entering the water but once your in, the water is crystal clear and the snorkeling was fantastic. I would choose another beach if you want lots of sand and beach type toys.

I've sailed the Conquest three times...

Jamaica - Great zip-line canopy tour. One of the rain forests that you can access. Weight limit of 250 lbs. One thousand foot slide for one of them!

Grand Cayman - The butterfly gardens were a lot of fun. Not huge, but a lot of species none the less.

Cozumel - I've been there the most. The swim with the dolphins is great for kids, and the ATV rides through the forests are good too, but not for the weak of backs.

Onemanchild

Thank you all for reading and posting. I have read in other posts and some hints in this one about Montago Bay. We are weighing our options to stay back in the ship or take a tour. I am sure about one thing, if we do not book an excursion, I dont travel with my kiddos in Jamaica.

Is there any way I can look online at the itenary that Conquest will have? Since, I am sailing for the first time, I feel I am blind to the information which might be right in front of me! Help!!

Also have any of you spend Christmas on the ship? What all special activities do they have on that day, specially for the kiddos?

Chankanaab Park in Cozumel also makes a great day excursion. There are Dolphins to see (and swim with), Sea lions with a show, a very small 'cove' swimming area - mot too deep for little ones, snuba, snorkeling, and a manatee encounter, a museum, a great resteraunt (sp?), and great sandy beach. There is also a short 'nature trail' with some replicas of ruins. I love it there....even if it is just to wander about and enjoy the breeze from the sea and crystal water.

Their webby is: http://www.cozumelparks.com/index.html

Is only a short taxi ride from the pier, just make sure use one of the regulated taxis at the pier - they have set prices for certain destinations.

Its a bit of a walk, but I walked into town the last two times. I let people discourage me before that. Once you get past the port, the pushy people seem to mostly dissapear. A few cab drivers calling out to me, and I just waved back and kept on walking.. .. but too far to walk with young children... but I felt completely safe.

Fire, I applaud you......I just did not have the initiative to do this one on my own......maybe we can hook up next time we hit Jamaica together and I'd be willing to try it.

Thank you all for reading and posting. I have read in other posts and some hints in this one about Montago Bay. We are weighing our options to stay back in the ship or take a tour. I am sure about one thing, if we do not book an excursion, I dont travel with my kiddos in Jamaica.

Is there any way I can look online at the itenary that Conquest will have? Since, I am sailing for the first time, I feel I am blind to the information which might be right in front of me! Help!

Have you registered on Carnival's website? Up at the top of the Carnival home page, it will let you register and add your booking number, which will then let you see all the details about your cruise and book excursions, supper club reservations, register your kids for Camp Carnival, etc.

As for MoBay - we've been there twice with our kids, both while sailing on Conquest. My own recommendation would be to consider an excursion that is a short driving distance of the port. The first time we visited we took a tour that required an hour and a half drive each way. The roads are bad, the drivers are maniacs, and my two younger sons (then 9 and 5) got carsick. Never happened before, never has happened again. (Aside from the driving, the tour was great.) The next time (sons 13 and almost 9), we booked the Dreamers Catamaran Sail and Snorkel. We've done these excursions in other ports and our kids have loved them - even though the youngest won't snorkel. He likes the boat ride. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate and the tour was canceled. Without an excursion, we got off the ship, did some shopping right at the port, and went back aboard for the day. Had a great time - the kids had the pools and slide practically to themselves, I had Lido deck seating right next to the pool, and there were no lines at the buffet. I still felt bad about missing a port, even though we had visited before.

If you see a Carnival excursion listed in MoBay that you think your kids would like, I wouldn't hesitate to go for it. If it had still been available when our catamaran excursion was canceled, we would have booked the "Irie Mon Beach Party."

Hoosier Couple/Cari,

I now see where my confusion came from. When you mentioned Sunset Beach, I thought you meant in Montego Bay. I had talked to Sunset Beach in Montego Bay and was quoted $60 pp, all inclusive.

I just looked at Carnival's Beginner's Snorkeling Trip to Sunset Beach in Cozumel (the price has gone up to $25, lol) and it sounds like the one you did. I love the fact that we can stay there longer if we want--and the price is still reasonable. We're not really beginners but a few tips won't hurt us.

WendyJo

Thank you to all who replied to my earlier post. We are first time cruisers and will be travelling on the Conquest in December. Our ports of sight-seeing will be Montago Bay, Cayman Islands and Cozumel. We have two boys age 10 and 4.5. I wanted to know about the excursions at these ports. Please post your experiences at these ports. We do not want to do excursions at all three but two will probably be good. Which ones will you recommend and what all is there to do? Did you book thru Carnival or on your own? What all do I need to know about spending a day at these ports with kids? If we do not book an excursion, what all options do I have of travelling on my own? I tried to do a search but I dont think I am doing it right because my results are not showing much.

Also I will be spending Christmas day on the ship .. where can I find out what special activities the ship has for such occasion, specially for the kids? Please share your experience if you have spend this day on ship.

Thank You all for your help!

Our daughter was the same age as your youngest when we sailed the Conquest to the same ports. It was our first cruise. Montago Bay, Sunset Resort. We had a wonderful time relaxing, enjoying the beach and beautiful pool. Great location for children. Very family friendly. Grand Caymens, we did the stingrays then went to a private beach for snorkeling and a wonderful lunch. Cozumel we did the dolplin swim then went back to the port, ate a wonderful Mexican Food lunch out on the patio and enjoyed the beach area. In February we will be on our 6th cruise as for our family, the different ports are wonderful and a great learning experience for our daughter. We want to do these ports again as they have been some of our favorites. Our daughter continues to love Camp Carnival and that is one of her favorites throughout the cruiselines we have traveled. We sailed the Dream last year over New Years and Camp Carnival had so many wonderful activites for her. We book all our excursions by ourselves and not through the cruiselines. Never had any issues. Enjoy your cruise!!!!!

Just back from the same cruise. We have a 7 year old boy, 4 year old boy, and baby girl. In Cayman we negotiated a van to take our group of 7 to Royal Palms for $16. Royal Palms is a private beach, about 8 minutes away, with changing facilities, lockers, showers, restaurant, pool, bar, rentals, etc. We rented two lounge chairs and an umbrella for the day for $30. Gorgeous beach, great facilities, and the kids loved it.

• 1 month later...
WendyJo, The Beginners Shore Snorkle was booked through the ship but the tour group was Sand Dollar Sports in Cozumel.( If you are a cruise ship passenger you can only book their excursions through the ship) The excursion was done at their Snorkel and Dive Center on Sunset Beach. It was across the street from a Resort, not sure which one, (perhaps this was an all inclusive resort??? not sure but it isn't the same as what we booked. We only paid the $23.95 per adult for the entire day. Transportation and snorkel equipment was included but lunch, locker rental and the 8x10 photo was not. I'm not sure about wave runners and other rentals as we just kind of concentrated on the snorkeling. You can google Sand Dollar and perhaps get some more info, but they are not any type of all inclusive, they just do some of the snorkel, scuba and catamaran excursions for CCL.

Cari

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I can't figure out how to send a private message lol. Cari, I am thinking about doing this one with my 5 year old daughter but she is still in her beginner swimming lessons and cannot yet swim alone without a life vest. So I was wondering if they provide life vests for the younger swimmers on this excursion or if she would need to know how to swim independently to get the most benefit from it? Thanks in advance!

Val

Archived