When are upsell calls made?

susiesan

I guess the upgrade and up-sell fairies have passed me by. Seven days out, I have been assigned an inside cabin :(. It is showing up when I sign on to the Oceania site.

I assume they are unlikely to call at this point? A tiny hope if they have not assigned all cabins yet?

Oh, well. I got what I paid for. We will have a really "cheap" cruise this time.

Hi Burm...

Sorry you didn't get lucky this time - but we had an inside cabin on the Golden Princess once and we never slept so well on a cruise!

Have a wonderful time next week!!

Maureen

Thanks, Maureen. I have no doubt we will still have a wonderful time.

Booking a guaranty is like purchasing a lottery ticket. You don't really expect to win, but the dream is great while it lasts. :D

Actually, by booking a Guaranty, you automatically win. The worst possible cabin on the ship would still cost $200 pp more if you booked it specifically. When you book at the bottom you can't possibly go down. :p

There is still 2 ft of snow on our front lawn, so I am ready to go!

• 2 months later...

Well Burm, how was it? We always book specific inside cabins. I actually really like the cosiness of them, sort of womb-like :). Also one of us likes to sleep in and is woken by light and the other is an early riser who gets out on deck so it's really quite perfect for us not to have curtains and daylight to fight over. We turn the TV on to see outside ... And really, for us it's true that you don't spend much time at all in the cabin. I hope you enjoyed your bilge water.:p

Well Burm, how was it?

I hated the inside and would never have one again. Well, maybe if the price were right.... :p

But in spite of the inside, the cruise was wonderful, and we would not have missed it for anything. So given the choice of an inside or staying home, I would definitely choose the inside.

Next year we will have an oceanview for our TA and in 2013 we will be back to a balcony!!! Hurray!

Ah well. For us we prefer to do long cruises, and I can do 35 days inside for the same cost as a lot less in a more costly cabin. as they say, a bad day at sea (a what??) is better than a good day at work. :D

Ah well. For us we prefer to do long cruises, and I can do 35 days inside for the same cost as a lot less in a more costly cabin. as they say, a bad day at sea (a what??) is better than a good day at work. :D

My first cruise was between Hawaii and Sydney, Australia, way back when. I shared an inside cabin with 5 strange women (one was on her honeymoon, but they could not afford a cabin for 2), and the bathroom was down the hall. It was just about the best time of my life!

Bottom line: balconies are better, but any cabin that gets you on the ship is great.

When DH retires we may end up doing 35 day cruises in an inside too.

My first cruise was between Hawaii and Sydney, Australia, way back when. I shared an inside cabin with 5 strange women (one was on her honeymoon, but they could not afford a cabin for 2), and the bathroom was down the hall. It was just about the best time of my life!

Bottom line: balconies are better, but any cabin that gets you on the ship is great.

When DH retires we may end up doing 35 day cruises in an inside too.

Yes, I did that sort of cruising in the 70's, OK when you're young! I think I had better not go to balcony class in case I do like it. We got upgraded to a presidential suite in a luxury hotel for a week recently, now even 5* suites look really ordinary!

I think I had better not go to balcony class in case I do like it. We got upgraded to a presidential suite in a luxury hotel for a week recently, now even 5* suites look really ordinary!

Some people require a pitch black room for a good night's sleep. I can see those people loving an inside.

I like having a bedroom facing east so that I awaken to sunshine and during our few precious summer months, birdsong. For me, it is the ultimate joy to step onto my balcony in the morning and watch the sun rise over my own private patch of sea. Then I go back to bed and sleep until a more reasonable hour. :p

Our cruise this year was very port intensive, so we had our breakfast delivered every morning at 6:30 AM. Normally, one of us would enjoy breakfast on the balcony while the other showered. This year we had trouble trying to clear a spot for the trays in a cramped room. We would not have made our early excursions on time had we gone upstairs to the Horizon (where they don't serve before 7 anyway).

On returning hot and tired from a busy day on shore, we also like to grab a plate of pick up food and enjoy it on the balcony while the other person is showering. Then we will enjoy a drink on the balcony while we watch the island we enjoyed so much that day slip away into distance and memory. Perhaps we can enjoy a magnificent sunset from our own bit of paradise before heading off to dinner and a night of dancing (and trivia).

It is hard to do without once you have enjoyed something so much.

Some people require a pitch black room for a good night's sleep. I can see those people loving an inside.

Ah that is me you are describing. :D

I do do 6:30 but only under extreme sufference and only in port.

Your ways with your balcony sound nice though. Enjoy :)

You are right about the balcony, Burm! On the upcoming British Isles cruise I started out in an inside, then moved to obstructed window...ended up in HA balcony when it was released to the public. Tried for a suite upsell - but no luck. I hope Oceania will offer me the baclcony upsell again for our crossing :)

You are right about the balcony, Burm! On the upcoming British Isles cruise I started out in an inside, then moved to obstructed window...ended up in HA balcony when it was released to the public. Tried for a suite upsell - but no luck. I hope Oceania will offer me the baclcony upsell again for our crossing :)

Do you think we would use the balcony much on this TA? It might get pretty cool and windy once we leave Brazil. That is my justification (or should I say consolation?) for booking an outside cabin. At least we will have sunlight for 16 days. What kind of cabin have you booked, Maureen?

On the old ships before practically everyone had a private balcony, there were lots of lounge chairs all along the decks. You could always find a nice spot to enjoy the view. Today, just about the only place you can sit out is around the pool area.

I did keep an eye on the cabanas this year. In spite of the beautiful weather, no one seemed to be using them.

In any case, the cabanas don't appeal to me so much because you have a glass wall in front of you. To me, that is just like being indoors and looking through a window.

We have category C2 Oceanview. (Debra grabbed the really good deal on the inside cabin) I don't know how useful the balcony will be on a TA....but I do like to be able to let a little fresh air in the cabin once in awhile.

I will admit that we really loved that cabana in the Caribbean.

We have category C2 Oceanview. (Debra grabbed the really good deal on the inside cabin) I don't know how useful the balcony will be on a TA....but I do like to be able to let a little fresh air in the cabin once in awhile.

I will admit that we really loved that cabana in the Caribbean.

It is a good thing that we don't all have the same tastes and habits or it would really be difficult to get what we want.

I tried to get an aft cabin for our 2013 cruise, but even booking 2 full years in advance, they were taken. Then when I went to start the roll call, which I am normally the first to do, it had already been started by the lucky person who was able to snare my favourite cabin. :eek::rolleyes::D:p

Archived