Helsinki port

JONFRO

The answer is "it depends and can change at last minute". We were scheduled in one port--it was even listed in "Passages" the night before. But when we got there, we were at a totally different area. Not a problem for most people, but I am the ultimate planner, and we like to walk a lot.

So I had to totally redo my walking excursion plans based on the new location.

The answer is "it depends and can change at last minute". We were scheduled in one port--it was even listed in "Passages" the night before. But when we got there, we were at a totally different area. Not a problem for most people, but I am the ultimate planner, and we like to walk a lot.

So I had to totally redo my walking excursion plans based on the new location.

Thanks for your reply. We have about 5hrs in helsinki, and didn't want to really do an excursion, any tips etc based on whichever port you end up in.

Also did you visit Visby, and do your own thing, again any tips.

Many thanks

Just like St Petersburg. We were scheduled for the main port and even Passages said that's where we would be...on arrival we steamed up the Neva and moored right before the bridge! Easy walking distance to town, in fact we were IN town! Problem was our guide was at the port and it took her over an hour to get to us!

Sorry to bump in to this thread but I'm trying to contact Hambaghale and was hoping he/she might check back in here.

If you do, can you please email me linda dot luongo at gmail dot com

Thank you!! :D

Hi,

Sailing on Voyager Baltic cruise in June 2011. Can anyone tell me which port

you dock at in helsinki?

Oh that would be the port with water in it!!!! :rolleyes: Sorry couldn't help myself....ok so now I will go away and lurk elsewhere....

Thanks for your reply. We have about 5hrs in helsinki, and didn't want to really do an excursion, any tips etc based on whichever port you end up in.

Also did you visit Visby, and do your own thing, again any tips.

Many thanks

We had planned to walk downtown and take the ferry to the fortress. However, the day we were there, it was absolutely pouring rain. With that, plus the change in docking area which meant that I was really unsure as to where we were in relation to downtown, we took the shuttle to Senate Square then went in the Lutheran Cathedral and the Russian Orthodox church, then to the dept store that is nearby. By that time, the rain had slacked a bit, so we visited the outdoor market (really good). We went by shuttle back to the ship for lunch then back to town and walked to the Rock Church as I had gotten my bearings by then.

In Visby, we walked around town--great town for just wandering. We were there in the medieval festival so there were lots of booths and people dressed like Vikings, etc. The gardens are lovely, and you can walk around the walls partway. Really no need for an excursion here.

Picturesque Porvoo isn't all that picturesqe. It's a cute couple blocks with the high light getting tea, cofeee and dessert and a candy store. I am a professional photographer and there were less than 10 photos worth snapping. The best thing for most on our sailing was the outdoor flea market.

Archived