Aboard the ms Statendam

DougandEric

Doug & Eric: Thanks again for all your info. That is so usual with everyone going

to the OB the final night. It almost seems as if passengers finally discover certain areas

of the ship.

I plan on doing a live from the ports thread on our Statendam cruise leaving Dec. 24.

Greg

Thank you for post your experience on the Statendam.We are going Jan7th for 28 days.You did the 28 days is that right?

I wish! No, we only did 14 days.

Thanks all for letting me know you enjoyed the posts. I plan to add the pictures to my web site but I'm not sure when that will get done but I'll post back here when it's done.

I'm much better but still stuffy. Eric has a lesser version of what I had. The weather in Tampa isn't going to help - it will get down to 30 tonight!

Doug

Also back from the same cruise and looks like we crossed paths even though our planned Sunday meet and greet fizzled. I went but could not get my message across to the bartender to tell people where to meet, so not sure if anyone came and couldn't figure out where to meet or if it just fizzled after all.

I was also in the salon at 10 am that first morning at see so I remember seeing the gentleman getting the manicure across from me who was looking like the creature from outer space in aluminum foils getting my hair highlighted for the bargain price of $69 (typically stateside this can cost $100). Did you also have the little stuffed dog and I think we also shared the Miraflores by Night bus as well?

Agree with your reports and can add only a few more details - we were ready to call it the No-Startendam after our first three delayed departures and then the False-Startendam after our changed Cartagena arrival.

But it was a great cruise with really interesting port stops and we we lucky enough to avoid the massive Canal delay that came two days after our transit with the entire operation had to be closed down due to heavy rains -an historic first - our day went very smoothly and the cool weather for the entire trip was the best and most pleasant surprise.

Cartagena however was punishing standing around in the heat in our walking tour group but later exploration of the city on our own we were able to keep on the shady sides of the streets and quickly got away from the crowds so it was more pleasant. Or, was it because we spent a nice bit of time in the A/C emerald shop?.

Agree, the A/C problem was more of it being too cold than too hot (never too hot) and we too had to keep it turned up to the highest levels too for "room temperature".

I kept track with an indoor cabin thermometer that also registered highs and lows and the room was in fact in the 70-75 range on all days (75 when I had the heat all the way up), which felt totally different depending on the outside weather. If there was any failing compared to other HAL ships is it took a while to change room temperature after adjusting the dial but we got it figured out in time and it worked fine later.

Again, also no smells, decor flaws or broken elevators. It was a lovely ship thought also agree the food was not as good as other HAL cruises. We were lucky enough to get a nice Suite upgrade, so we used the Neptune Lounge a lot for breakfast and midday snacking and loved it for this use as well as the free laundry and extra perks.

Made me think the thermometer was not working but when I took it out on the balcony, it immediately registered the new temperature so it did make me very aware of the relative differences in how we "feel" temperatures.

We enjoyed all our shore excursion choices:

1. Puerto Vallarta - we did this on our own by local bus and went to our favorite pottery shop Galeria Indigena and enjoyed a lovely lunch at La Palapa at the far end of the beachwalk after you cross the river - a more quiet, low key part of PV.

2. Huatulco - did the eco-bird watch which included a drive along all the bays and a lovely walk around a lush and prolific gold course with lots of bird citing and an excellent guide with special standing binocular/telescope views. This tour allows time to enjoy some beer and snacks at the port side town before departure. Very low key port stop, small, quiet vacation condo area.

3. Puerto Chiapas, Mexico - Argovia Coffee Plantation and Flower Garden tour was excellent - lovely drive through the country side into the lush topical mountains to a deluxe plantation resort - very informative tours of their gorgeous and highly diverse, organic coffee and flower plantation. A+

4. Puerto Quetzel, Guatamala - Took the "Antigua On Your Own" option and had lunch at the beautiful Santa Domingo Convent right in the heart of down town and found Dona Gavi gelato and fragrance shop for some really unusual flavors or gelato. A very easy city for wandering and stunning views and photo opportunities as the clouds move in and out of the surrounding volcanic peaks, some still smoking.

5. Panama City - MiraFlores by Night - good tour but the early departure, delays, tender hang-up and late arrival time back on the ship after food service closed did make this a badly timed activity. Plan accordingly and have a late afternoon "dinner" (club sandwiches and french onion soup in your room?) before you go.

6. Panama transit - only very light rain for a short time, pleasantly cool - Panama Buns I thought had a rather tasteless dried apricot in the middle of it, it was something orange but no flavor so I was not sure it was a mandarin orange but that would have been appropriate since were not citrus fruits a new world introduction? Just nice to have on deck that early in the morning regardless so the effort was appreciated, along with hot coffee and orange juice.

7. Cartagena - did the walking tour with free time option that did not go out to the shopping mall with the HAL authorized emerald shops which would have taken quite a bit of time away from seeing historic Cartagena - but if it is really hot like it usually is, then being in an A/C shopping mall might look like a good option for this stop.

We went to the Gray Line authorized shops and did find a very lovely deep green emerald pendant - don't know if it was "good price" or not but it was just what I had been looking for - be warned only loose stones come in duty free. Know your customs limits if you buy set stones. HAL shopping advisor was less than clear about this, but the customs agent in FLL knew her stuff for sure.

8. Fort Lauderdale - we took the HAL city historic walking tour and 90 minute boat trip and it was excellent - a surprise for us to get to know this "transit" city plus a chance to say good by one more time to the Statendam from the water view as we toured the "Venice" of Florida and all its deluxe waterside homes and gardens. This tour works if you have a flight leaving later than 3pm.

Overall, this was a great trip- great port stops, excellent excursions, having a suite got us around some of the overall dining deficiencies. Did not try the PG but friends who did raved about it and went back several times.

We did try the PG breakfast as a suite perk and had to send the eggs benedicts back because both of them came "hard boiled" and not poached, again indicating for us there was a lot of attention paid to "presentation" (it was all lovely) but totally inadequate attention paid to the actual food. So our own PG rating is 0-2.

HAL has a winner with this itinerary and this ship. And we signed up for another HAL trip on the Ryndam while on board for early September. HAL keeps winning us over for value and itineraries.

Hi Swiss,

We had the little white bear in a black backpack - he goes on all tours with us. Eric had a manicure on the first day at 10AM so that is probably who you saw. BTW, he just clipped his nails this morning so there goes the $45!

The M&G was frustrating because the bartender didn't have any idea what I talking about - I wasn't sure if we were early or late. A thought in the future might be a sign taped to the window or column where you are located that says 'Cruise Critic'. I didn't think of this until afterward but I think that would prevent communication problems with the staff.

The only furnishing issues we saw were rips in a couple of the long couches against the windows in the OB - they were at the seams so you wouldn't notice them unless you sat near one.

Overall, it was a great cruise.

Doug

Archived