Aboard the ms Statendam

DougandEric

I won’t be writing a ‘live from’ log but I’ll post updates as I have time to write (naps take priority!).

We left Tampa early Thursday morning (20 minutes earlier because the car we hired was there early). Security at the airport was a breeze – no pat down, no scanner, just the metal detector. Our flight on Southwest was on time to Houston. We had a leisurely breakfast before boarding our flight to San Diego. We had a row to ourselves which made the 3.5 hour flight that much better. We arrived 15 minutes early – about 11:35, all our luggage was there, the hotel courtesy shuttle was waiting for us and our room was ready at 1PM – life is good! We were on the 3rd floor of the south tower of the Holiday Inn On The Bay and the bow of the Statendam was directly in front of us when she docked the following morning.

We ate lunch at the Elephant and Castle at the hotel then went across the street to the San Diego Maritime Museum and spent about 2 hours walking around the ships and subs – most enjoyable and worth the $14 per person admission charge. It was cold to us (low 60’s with a breeze). We went back to the hotel for a nap then dinner at Ruth’s Chris. We had to wait about 15 minutes for our table at 7PM (they were busy as you might expect). I thought I knew what I wanted before we left but changed my mind while sitting at the table. I ended up with the turkey dinner, Caesar salad, and creamed spinach. Eric had the seafood gumbo, grilled veal chop, asparagus. We both declined dessert which was included – I couldn’t eat another bite. The turkey was very tasty and tender as was the veal. It was a very nice meal.

I awoke about 5:30AM but no Statendam yet. At 6:05AM I checked again and could see her approaching the dock from out in the bay. By 6:30AM she was alongside.

We were up and left the hotel by 8:30AM for a walk to the Brickyard Café on G Street for breakfast. We then walked up to Ralphs at Horton Plaza to pick up essentials and flowers. By the time we walked back to the hotel it was 11AM. Being PriorityClub members, we could check out as late as 2PM. We finalized packing with liberal doses of Sponge Bob Square Pants (they had a marathon running and being a nautical theme and funny, it was appropriate!) We finally checked out at 12:30PM to walk across to the pier.

After dropping off the luggage, and filling in the health form, we walked right up to check-in and inside 5 minutes, we on our way to the ship. They did no swipe my CC I had previously registered. It was not crowded at all in the terminal. I’d say it was about 20 minutes from luggage drop-off to boarding the ship – not bad!

Rooms were not ready (it was approaching 1PM by now). Up to the Lido to check our bags then lunch. During lunch the room ready announcement was made so we headed there. Unfortunately, our key cards did not work so Eric went up to the front desk to be told we were not the only ones. A few minutes later we were in the room. The rooms have all been redone with a mocha colored patterned carpet, rust colored chair, mocha colored loveseat. The bathroom is very nice with 18 inch pale ceramic tile on the walls and floor and a chocolate brown granite countertop with silver flecks in it. It looks very nice. We are in 717, category FF and love the location and cabin. You can hear the water going by – built in white noise generator. No problems with A/C or toilets – in fact it’s a bit too cool for us so we keep adjusting the thermostat around. No A/C or toilet complaints overheard so far either.

My Wonder Vase is doing its job holding Ralphs carnations up. We checked around the ship after dropping off our carryon’s. Our shore excursions and PG reservations were in the room waiting. The ship in excellent shape and I observed none of the issues reported on prior cruises (smells, toilets not flushing, hot/cold areas in public rooms). The atrium fountain is running. It was reported our safety drill would be at 4:30 vs 4:15. Since our last HAL cruise, we now are told not to bring the life vests with us and the whole drill took about 15 minutes. About 4:45 the captain announced we had a life boat repair that had to be inspected by the Coast Guard before we could leave and it was expected we would depart by 5:20. It appeared to be boat #8 on the port side which was extended on its rails. The temperature was dropping as the sun went down so we went inside. We could see from our room if the lines dropped forward. Three of our 4 bags arrived before boat drill and I had unpacked one while Eric made a spa appointment. We got another and part of the 3rd unpacked before the boat drill and finished up after. There is plenty of room in the closets and drawers – we have some empty. Another announcement was made around 7PM while we were in the Crows Nest that we had a propulsion motor problem that was being worked on and departure was not expected before 10PM. There would be no delay getting to our first stop of PV however. During dinner in the dining room, another announcement was made that they were still working on it but we were expected to depart by 10PM. (Here’s a little joke: How is the ms Statendam like the Holiday Inn On the Bay? Neither move! OK not good but keep the flames to yourselves!).

We were exhausted so went back to the room and bed. I have no idea what time we actually departed but when Eric awoke around 1:30AM, we were underway.

I awoke Saturday with a headache and a knot in my left shoulder. Coffee ordered from room service did not sit well. Eric had a 10AM manicure appt. so he left around 9:30AM for breakfast and I stayed in bed until 11AM. My headache broke eventually (stress as I knew it would be!). I dressed and we went looking for lunch. Ended up in the Lido with fresh made sandwiches of various types.

The captains (Tim Roberts) announcement around 1PM said we would be passing a couple of islands off the coast where whales were known to be seen so be on the lookout. We found two chairs on the deck above the Crows Nest in the sun and out of the breeze. We had brought binoculars with us but never saw any whales. We stopped by the Lido for a cookie then headed to the Crows Nest for the M&G. I checked in at the bar as SwissMyst said but the bartender had no idea of what I spoke. We waited around and saw no sign of a M&G so sat in the recliners listening to music on the IPod and watching the sea go by.

Tonight is formal and we have reservations at PG for 8PM. We went back to the room, got pretty and decided to go to the Ocean Bar tonight. In the past, I’ve found the Ocean Bar to be too smoky for my taste and comfort. I didn’t see anyone smoking at all. The Neptunes play in the OB from 6:30PM to 9:30PM. It is a trio on piano, drums and something else (sorry – didn’t pay that much attention) but the lead sings very well and they played danceable music (Tennessee Waltz, etc). Several couples danced and it was nice to watch. The music in the Crows Nest was disco on Friday and similar tonight – not my idea of pre-dinner cocktail music. OB has the CN beat on that count. We walked around the shops until our reservation at PG and heard the chimes played by the YumYum man.

Dinner in the Pinnacle was very nice. The service was excellent as was the food. I have no complaints about anything EXCEPT they had the same piece of violin music playing over and over and over all night long – it made you want to start pulling your hair out! It was lovely the first few times around. The Maître ‘D said the satellite channel was not working correctly so this was the only classical music they had. I had the onion soup and steak Dianne and Eric has the onion soup and bone-in ribeye. We shared basmati rice and asparagus. This is something new to us on HAL – in the dining room on Friday, the waiter said to me they were going to sing to Eric – I didn’t know why but figured it’s not me so let’s go with it! Nothing happened and we didn’t order coffee or dessert. As we were walking out, we saw a cake being carried to the table – aha I said to myself – they know it was his birthday earlier in the month – aren’t computer wonderful? I didn’t say anything nor was there anywhere on the web site to enter such information as you can on Princess. In the PG, after dinner, a lovely chocolate cake with huge chocolate bow was presented with a candle to Eric. He swears I said something but I keep telling him I didn’t (neither us likes public Happy Birthday singing at us).

We walked around deck twice then off to bed. Tuxes were in the minority but there some, present company included. Suits and even casual wear was seen including shorts and jeans in the public rooms (oh the horror!). Nothing seemed crowded anywhere and by 10:30 the ship was dead in the public areas at least. We didn’t attend the show or captains welcome so can’t comment on those.

Eric has awoken with a cold and is feeling poorly this morning. I’ll get dressed and go to breakfast then check in on him. We’ve ordered coffee from room service via the door card and it’s arrived at the earliest of the timeframe specified each morning (7am on Saturday – we chose 7-7:30 and 7:30 on Sunday – we chose 7:30-8:00). Ifyou clear off the table the night before and have your $2 bill out and ready, it’s as easy as slipping on a robe when the knock comes!

More later!

Doug

We've signed up for two of the cooking classes - Indian and Mediterranean. We're also on the list for 'Dine with Chef' which occurs in the Culinary Arts center one evening. It holds 10 people and the chef cooks the dinner in front of you and it's paired with wine for the 7 courses. We'll be informed if we're selected and I assume there will be a meeting regarding tastes/alergies, etc like we experienced on Princess. It's supposed to be very intimate and elegant.

We saw porpoises in the distance this morning while eating breakfast. No whales so far but we keep looking. It is warming up as the day progresses. Seas are calm and a light breeze. Casual dress tonight for dinner.

Doug

Thanks so much for this review. We will be on the Statenham in Dec. Can you sign up for the Dine with the Chef in advance or is it a lottery thing?? It sounds wonderful.

We are debating several PG reservations during our 14 day cruise, think we should reserve in advance??

Sunday, 11/28/2010

Excuse me if I repeat myself. Eric woke up with a slight fever and stuffy head - he had been coming down with a cold for the past week and with all the travel and excitement of going away, it finally caught with him. We slept in late and left about 10AM for breakfast.

We spent part of the late morning in the Crows Nest on the starboard side with the sun streaming in the windows, listening to the IPod and reading. A friend sent the following joke: What is the new slogan for the TSA? "Can't see London, Can't see France, until we see your underpants!". Cracked me up but then that is funny to me - says tons!

We had lunch at the Terrace Grill, walked around a bit then back to the cabin. Not feeling well, Eric wanted a nap so I took one as well - until 5PM! We finally got up to wander the upper decks and see the sun set - very pretty. Down to steerage to dress and then up to the Ocean Bar for cocktails before dinner. The Neptunes are a trio of piano, bass and drums - very nice to listen and dance to and they will take requests. After 2 rusty nails, it was time for Canelleto - dinner in the MDR was not appealing to either of us - sort of Mexican but not anything we wanted to eat. You can make dinner reservations for any of the restaurants in the Lido during lunch at the entrance to Caneletto, port side upon entering the Lido from the pool.

Formal nights on this cruise are/were Saturday 11-27, November 30, December 4th and December 8th.

Canelleto is like the Sterling Steakhouse on the Diamond Princess where they transform part of the Lido area into a fine dining area at night. I had the Minestrone soup to start - Eric had the Seafood soup - both tasty. Before the soup is brought, a cold antipasto tray is brought from which can you can choose: capriocola ham, mortadella, buccatini (mozzerlla cheese balls), salami, and a couple of other items. After that, the soup is brought, then the entree. I had the penne ala vodka which was very tasty but rich because of the cream and Eric had the cod Putanesca which he enjoyed very much. Eric had an esspresso and a scoop each of vanilla, chocolate and pistachio gelato and I had nothing - too full! We ordered a bottle of the Barbera d'Asti (2006) which was very good but reminded me of port in smell, flavor, texture and sediment - lots of sediment (remind self to take aspirin before bed!).

The weather warmed up as the day progressed. We saw a beautiful sunset. Drinks in the Ocean Bar before dinner. We are on the PV Sierra Madre hike tomorrow which meets on the pier at 8:50AM.

We set the clocks forward on Friday and Saturday nights one hour each night. We have 2 more time changes later in the cruise. Those traveling FLL to SAN gain time, we loose it!

A gentleman about 3 cabins forward of us was asking the steward for additional washcloths. His A/C is so efficient (as are a couple on the port side - ie: forward of the elevators on A deck) that he is closing off the A/C vents with the wash cloths to keep his cabin warm. The couple from the other side refer to their cabin as the 'meat locker'. Cabin 717 where we are in just fine - the A/C controls work well but as usual, Eric wants it warmer and I want it cooler - but that's life! He who gets up to go to the bathroom during the night controls the thermostat! Long live the tiny bladder!

So far a very enjoyable cruise but VERY quiet. When we made reservations today at lunch for Canelleto this evening, the earliest they had was 8PM - just fine with us. Most people want 5:45 to 6:00PM. Ocean Bar was very quiet between 7-8 while we were there.

Time to turn in - the water is rushing by outside our stateroom and is making me sleepy ( or is it the rusty nails and wine?????).

More later.

Doug

PS: Wireless in the stateroom is fine - no issues so don't feel you have to go to a 'hot spot' or Explorations to use it.

Thanks so much for this review. We will be on the Statenham in Dec. Can you sign up for the Dine with the Chef in advance or is it a lottery thing?? It sounds wonderful.

We are debating several PG reservations during our 14 day cruise' date=' think we should reserve in advance??[/quote']

We haven't gotten confirmation that we are included yet but we are on the list. You can't reserve in advance - stop by the Pinnacle on the day you board to put your name on the list. I'll keep you posted at to how it works out for us.

Doug

We've signed up for two of the cooking classes - Indian and Mediterranean. We're also on the list for 'Dine with Chef' which occurs in the Culinary Arts center one evening.
Eagerly awaiting your comments on the Indian & Mediterranean cooking classes. And holding my breath that you make the cut for Dine with the Chef. Don't spare the details!

Monday, 11/29/2010 – Puerto Vallarta

Before I forget, the trio, the Neptunes who play in the OB, are comprised of piano, drums and bass. The pianist also sings – rather well in fact. They do take requests. Also the violin music in the PG on Saturday night was the song that goes “to know, know, know her, is to love, love, love her” – I sure hope they have that fixed!

I awoke in the wee hours with heartburn from the penne ala vodka which was good but very rich – I should have known better. The Statendam docked in PV about 7:30AM, directly across from the Walmart & Sams Club. Our tour met dockside at 8:50AM and were early so waited on the bus. The tour we took is called Sierra Madre Hiking Adventure. There were several tours that all originate from the same place so there was a mixed group on the bus – ATV, horseback, bicycle people as well as the hiking people. The drive is less than 30 minutes to the Hacienda. If you decide to take this hiking tour, please note that it has the most strenuous indicator next to it and they mean it. The majority of the hike is up and down steep narrow paths. The paths are rock and gravel and can be very slippery with little hand holds available. Some areas are very steep and more than one person fell and slid. You will also walk through 2 knee to mid-thigh rivers to get back. The water is very cool and swift moving in one location with lots of large river rocks so it’s not recommend you take your shoes off. Therefore, when they say you will get your shoes wet they mean it! Make very sure you feel up to it before you book it. One gentleman on our tour (late 60’s early 70’s), not only slipped and badly scraped his leg but then fell off the path! He was dizzy and should have sat to rest but didn’t (also diabetic). One of the two guides called for a horse to get him but after a while he insisted he would make it. How he ever survived I don’t know but he walked the entire trip and the falls occurred about half way through. They also had an ATV waiting to take him back once we crossed the first river but he refused (hell, I would have taken them up on it!). The actual hiking is about 2.5 to 3 hours in length. You have been warned!

We finally got back to the ship about 1:45PM in time for lunch in the Lido. I decided to shower and write this while Eric went across to Sams Club and Walmart. They are washing the ship down including the windows so hopefully ours will get done before we leave as the window is pretty salted up.

I’ll comment on the other tours as we take them.

We’ll eat the MDR tonight and have made another reservation in PG for tomorrow night – another formal. Although I want to try the lobster mac and cheese, I don’t think I could handle it – a taste maybe but no more than that. If I overheard correctly last night, they would charge extra if you wanted it in addition to your regular meal – I’m assuming $20.

Mix bar has champagne cocktails for $3 from 5-8PM so Eric will have those while I have my usual rusty nail. There is also a ring I have my eye on in the jewelry shop (not Merabella!). Perhaps I deserve a treat after the forced march today!

More later!

Doug, I am really enjoying your posts, but am having a bit of difficulty reading them. I keep losing my place from line to line.

Could you please add a few paragraph 'breaks' with spaces between them? Like I just did? Thanks! :)

Marsha, I'm typing in Word then pasting to cut down on usage - I'll try double paragraphs in between.

Speaker, I *think* I saw an ATM at the pier in PV but I wouldn't guarantee it. The front desk should be able to exchange money for you. We only used a credit card in PV.

Doug

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 Hualtulco Mexico

Dinner last night in the PG was very good. They didn’t play any music but some of the Adagio strings from next door in the Explorers Lounge drifted in which was preferable to hearing the same sad tune over, and over and over and over and over all night long. I ordered the spicy chicken and coconut soup with the beef delight skewer and Eric had the crab cakes with the lamb chops – both were excellent. The skewers come out under a huge domed platter which when uncovered has a single skewer of meat, onions and peppers (for beef) mounted on a larger perforated grate. The server then heats vodka and brandy in a small sauce pan, ignites it then pours it over the kabob. Once the flames die, she removes the meat and peppers from the skewer (metal stake) onto your plate. Interesting presentation. Both entrées were very good. We chose the whipped potatoes, asparagus with hollandaise, and sautéed mushrooms for sides. The wine was the Northstar Merlot which though pricey ($89( was extremely good with both meats.

We stayed up for the Filipino Crew show which was very good – we always enjoy the crew shows far more than whatever entertainment they have. In fact, it’s the only show we tend to see. There was a John Denver look alike that was performing before the crew show that drove us running from the showroom. Many appear to have liked him but like Elvis, he’s dead – let him be!

Our tour Wednesday didn’t meet on the pier until 11:20AM. We were docked by 9AM. We had breakfast then decided to go into the pier area of Huatulco before meeting our tour – we had about an hour. No vehicles are allowed on the pier and it’s about 300 yards from the ship to the end of the pier so if you are mobility challenged, be aware it can be a walk – no problem for wheel chairs or scooters but after the pier, you may be limited on your access to areas. Also be aware there is NO shade until you get to the shopping area. The port guards and the Mexican Navy in patrol boats do have machine guns on them. This is a new cruise ship stop and as such is less developed than other ports but as such is quite quaint in some ways. There are the tourist shops and shops ‘recommended’ by the ship (ie: they give a kick back to HAL for any sales – tourism scam if you ask me!). Regardless, it’s much less hectic than other Mexican/Caribbean ports we’ve been to. There are lots of people offering independent tours and excursions of various sorts (land/sea/fishing) and you will be asked 50 times about taking a tour/taxi/to buy things, but they are not in your face and all you have to say is ‘no thank you’ if you are not interested. The ship recommended stores (only 2) offer coke/water gratis for stopping in. We did buy a pair of earrings for Eric’s sister in law but other than that, nothing else. BTW, according to John Mann from the Jade Museum in Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala, there is no such jade as ‘Mexican Jade’ touted in Mexico in all the jewelry stores – it’s something green they call Jade (marble, granite, etc.).

Be aware that it is warm (low 90’s) and to us in FL relatively low humidity, but the sun is intense and you MUST wear sunscreen and a hat! Most tours meet on the pier where there is NO shade other than the shadow of the ship so they recommend you wait on the ship until 10 minutes before the tour meets before going onto the pier.

After shopping, we walked back to the pier to meet up with our tour group. We chose the River Float tour. After checking in and signing the release form, we walked off the pier and stopped at the bathrooms before boarding the open air jitney to the river. We had a guide on the jitney that explained the area, the river and how things worked. After getting to the rafts, you basically left everything you didn’t want to get wet in the cab of the jitney and boarded your raft, with life vest. We had 2 rafts in our group. The weather was perfect – clear, sunny and about 80. The water temperature was not too cold so when you got wet it was refreshing (this to a FL native!). There were a max of 8 people to a raft and each person had a paddle. You paddled forward, backward or not at all depending on what the guide told you. It was not too strenuous and rather enjoyable. The ‘rapids’ on the river were not that much (class 1) but fun and you saw lots of bird life. It was also quiet and calming as well.

After the tour, we had lunch (4 of us from the raft) at the restaurant on the beach directly in front of where the ship docks, right next to the church. The palapas (thatched roofed bars – there are several on the beach) were recommended by the destination guide as safe and fine to eat at. For the four of us, we had one margarita, one virgin pina collada, 4 beers, 2 orders of good nachos, 1 order of guacamole, one entree of fish tacos (4 tacos with rice and veg) and one order of shrimp with garlic and chilis (with rice and veg) for $77 before tip. The food was very good and we all enjoyed the meal. Be aware they didn’t take credit cards but did take dollars so don’t worry about exchanging money. The exchange rate was between 11 and 12 pesos to the dollar (figure 10 to the dollar to make it easier). While sitting in the restaurant on the beach, you WILL be approached by vendors selling handmade crafts, blankets, jewelry, music, etc. If you’re not interested, just say ‘no thank you’ – about 200 times but it’s not that intrusive and they don’t get in your face. It was a very enjoyable afternoon.

We got back to the ship, showered and changed and headed to the Showroom at Sea for a lecture on Puerto Chiapas (tomorrows port) by John Mann from the Jade Museum in Guatemala – very interesting and informative. We then changed for dinner and headed for the Ocean Bar. Eric wanted to attend the 7:15PM Chanukah Candle Lighting but it was SRO so he joined me back in the Ocean Bar – I’d taken the netbook to write this in his absence. Instead, a group of four obnoxious drunks came in making a scene about their drinks – we’ll avoid them in the future!

Dinner in the MDR was good. I had the mushroom/chorizo strudel, Caesar salad and tagletelli with peas and ham. Eric has the roasted duck with sour cherry sauce for entrée but I can’t remember the appetizer.

Before we departed port, the captain made an announcement that between Huatulco and Puerto Chiapas, the winds sweep down the mountains to the sea and we were to expect some movement on the ship (finally – I thought we were floating in a bathtub all along – very calm). He said the winds were blowing at 40 knots and would most like exceed 50 knots so the ship would heel to starboard but not to be alarmed as they would adjust ballast to compensate. They would also most likely close off the promenade deck due to the high winds. Well, we finally feel like we’re on a ship at sea! Rocking, rolling, bumping, heeling – all the stuff that makes a good cruise! Staggering down the halls before cocktails and lurching as you walk – fun! After dinner, we tried to walk on the promenade but all sides were closed off. We went up to Lido deck and I could barely get to the railing on deck 11 because of the winds! Great fun – at last! The waves aren’t washing over our window yet (cabin 717 on A deck but there are definitely white caps and blowing water).

The ship does have some Christmas decorations that went up while were off the ship today – a tree on deck 5 by the fountain (fountain is turned off now), holly swags around the atrium, some ghoulish elf like creatures around the atrium (look like the elves in Harry Potter’s first movie at the bank – yikes!). There are also some decorations in the bars as well – not heavily decked out but there may be more added as time goes by.

I will say I’ve seen jeans in the dining room – gasp! Also, the upper level at least is NOT full by any stretch at the 8PM seating – several tables we can see in our area of the dining room are empty and have never had people at them. When we tried to make reservations at Canaletto the other night, they couldn’t seat us before 8PM – no problem for us but they said most everyone wants to eat at 5:30 or 6PM. The Lido does seem rather busy for dinner. The bars are not crowded before dinner (7-8PM for us). We’ve found the Ocean Bar fits us because it’s relatively quiet and the music is low key. We don’t like Mix because it’s too hectic being near the shopping and casino as well as the awful guitar player ‘John’ who’s high notes make your skin crawl – he’s also way too loud for the space which makes it impossible to try to talk (we did stop by last night because they had $3 champagne cocktails but I refused to stay – when Eric wanted a second, our OB waiter went to Mix to get his 2nd – very nice!). You have to sit around behind him in the area that used to be the piano bar (now the champagne bar with a piano). The Merabella shop never seems to have anyone in it – I don’t know what marketing wiz made the decision to add that but I can’t see how it generates any revenue. They have closed off the Explorers Lounge into a separate room half the size it used to be with doors and a wall and removed the huge painting on the opposite on the wall – I don’t know what they did with it but it’s gone – I miss it!

Time for bed – tomorrow is Puerto Chiapas and an early excursion (8;30AM). Time for my beauty sleep (as if there was enough time in the universe for that!).

Till later,

Doug

So enjoying your posts, Doug. Keep up the great work - looking forward to your next "installment." You guys sound like my kinda folk! Enjoy! And hope the rockin' and rollin' on board continue - I'm with you, I want to feel that motion and KNOW that I'm on board a ship. You're so right - it IS fun!:D

Sounds like you are having a great cruise and that the Statendam is in good hands. We get on the day you get off. We will be in 726 on A deck so we are kind of neighbors!;) Your posts have been very entertaining and helpful to us.

You have mentioned the Jade Museum in Guatemala. We collect Jade here in Wyoming and would like to visit the Jade Museum if it is not too much of a tourist trap. Is it easy to get to from the ship? I wonder if John Mann will be on our sailing also? We are considering taking the bus ride to Antigua but that is not cast in stone. Any recommendations you can pass along about Puerto Chiapas and Puerto Quetzel will be appreciated.

The wifi tips are helpful as this will be the first time out with a laptop. We're going to miss the Princess internet minutes. I also agree it's nice to feel a little movement as we sail. Helps me sleep at night!

Thanks for taking your time to post for all the rest of us!:)

Doug and Eric: It is probably too late to write this but I am interested in transport

from the dock in Puerto Quatzel to Antigua. If you get any cards, prices etc. it would

be appreciated.

Glad you are enjoying the OB. Are the HALcats playing at the aft pool or on Lido Deck?

Enjoying your posts.

Greg

Briefly, during the stormy, the Captain stated the winds reached 100 MPH! Quite a breezy evening. The Statendam rode it out well and other than some movement, it was a relatively quiet ride. I spoke to a couple as we were leaving Puerto Chiapas and they didn’t even feel it.

We’re docked in Puerto Quetzal right now – it’s about 6:15AM. Our tour meets at 7:20AM. Antigua is between one hour fifteen and one hour thirty minute drive from Puerto Quetzal so a cab is not really an option. The temperature is about 70 all year long and the sun is brutal so wear a hat, sunscreen and take a light jacket. We’re wearing jeans today. John Mann from the Jade Museum highly recommended NOT trying to arrange local transportation – they have a saying around that if something goes wrong, it’s not my fault. He’s lived here 21 years so I would take his advice and book a ship tour. He boards all the ships from all the lines and tells them all the same thing. He also said the tour price on HAL for the Tikal tour ($499) was about half what another line was charging (he wouldn’t say which line).

Puerto Chiapas is a nice port in the port area only. There is a downtown area (we didn’t go) you get a shuttle from the pier to but the surrounding area is industrial. The pier area has a main building (palapa?) with dancing, shops, etc inside. Separate and to the right of that building is a ‘beach bar’ which has a fresh water pool, bar and small restaurant. Some of the ships staff went there and Eric stopped in for a margarita. The whole pier area is only 5 years old and very pretty and well kept. There are Mexican guards with guns wandering around the port area but they are in all the ports so don’t be alarmed. They have guys in white dressed like sailors standing around keeping watch (without guns) but outside the pier they do have guns. We were delayed sailing until after 6PM because a passenger was taken off the ship due to medical emergency – it appears another couple traveling with them went as well – sad but they have a very good hospital in the area so she should be in good hands.

Time to get in the shower – I’ll post more later!

I had a review of Puerto Quetzal all typed up when we left to go watch the sun set yesterday but something happened to my netbook and I lost everything. So here it goes again….

A few notes first. We were traveling at 19.4 knots between San Diego and Puerto Vallarta which is about the max speed the Statendam can do according to the captain. We will travel at 18.9 knots between Puerto Quetzal and Panama to get there in time.

The HAL Cats are around but we aren’t around to hear them – can’t comment on them more than that.

The captain is apparently leaving the ship in Ft. Lauderdale, I assume for vacation. This came from a dedication from the crew to him during the Filipino crew show the other night because he’s leaving.

For those interested, there have been 2 LGBT meetings – one last Sunday (sea day) and one after Puerto Chiapas. We missed both – the first because Eric wasn’t feeling well and we napped through it and the 2nd because he wanted to attend a lecture and I wanted to see us off.

The piano player for the Neptunes is still here – he must have been off or not playing the other night. Eric overheard him say he was leaving but apparently not until after this cruise. The OB is very quiet according to him – last cruise the place was packed with lots of people dancing. This cruise only 2 or 3 couples will be dancing and the bar is quiet most of the time.

On to today. The ship was docked before 6AM. We’d ordered room service for 6-6:30 but it arrived at 5:40. Apparently lots of people were ordering since it was such an early day. Our tour, The Best of Antigua, met in the Showroom at 7:20 and departed at 7:30. We left of time and got onto our bus for the 90 minute drive to Antigua. The weather was about 80 and clear – the sun is rather intense so be prepared with sunscreen and a hat. Also be aware you will be up at about 4500 feet so the weather will be low 70’s. We wore jeans and took light jackets. On the way up to Antigua, you will see 3 volcanoes. The called the Fire volcano erupted 3 times during our drive up – gray ash plumes into the sky so be on the look out – nothing to be worried about. The bus is not allowed to drive through the city but only to drop off and pick up passengers. We were let out at the Jade Factory from which John Mann hails. Eric wanted to get a piece of pink jade fit into a ring and John told him to ask for him when we arrived and he’d find the best person to assist. After that was accomplished (he left the ring for sizing the stone), we listened to the founder speak on what jade is, is not, where it’s found and what to look for when buying. We then headed to the shop and bought our ‘signs’ in the Mayan calendar. Eric also bought a pair of earrings for his SIL. They take most major credit cards. We then met out guide, Rita, at the door to continue our walk. Rita was very good and knowledgeable. We then headed to the Hotel Casa Santa Domingo which is a restored and expanded building. It’s a top rated hotel in Central America by all the travel mags and is very elegant. There are three museums on site and we saw the silver museum first – it’s down a circular staircase with no other access to be aware if you have mobility issues. There is a church next to the property that has the 2nd museum but a mass was in process so we went to have lunch and tour there afterwards. Lunch was outside under a tent with table cloths and silver and was very nice. Coffee was included but all other drinks were extra. You will receive a bottle of water on the bus so you may want to take that with you. The service was buffet but very nice and the food was very good. The menu was rolls with fresh cheese (queso fresco), guacamole, black beans, platanos (fried plantains), yellow rice, grilled chicken, beef tenderloin slices, chili rellenos, white and blue corn tortillas, sauces for each main item plus a spicy green sauce (very tasty), flan and fritters in syrup. Eric was to go back to the Jade Factory to pick up his ring and stone but when he told Rita this (not on the schedule), she arranged to have the ring and stone delivered to the hotel jade shop. Eric was told it was here and he went and got it. They had set the stone in the ring for him at no charge which we didn’t expect – very nice!

After lunch, we went to the other 2 museums then left the hotel for the Cathedral of Merced. After that on to the town square before boarding the bus back. You WILL be approached by men, women and children selling all kinds of stuff – if you’re not interested, just say NO. Eye contact is not good. Buying something does not make you immune to future sales – in fact it encourages them! In the square, you will be swamped with vendors (go off to the side for less attention). There is a mercado (indoor shopping with lots of vendors) on the square with much the same stuff being sold on the streets. We didn’t buy anything until standing waiting for the bus to come when a girl pulled out a large table runner in brilliant rainbow colors. We ended up buying 3 for $15 (the one large and 2 smaller in blues). We have two small teddy bears who we take on tours and we were offered trades for them but that was not going to happen!

We hit some rain on the way back but it was clear and sunny at the port. The bus left at 2PM from Antigua and got back to the ship about 3:30PM. We were back in our room at 3:46 and we sailed at 4PM. On the way out to the busses and on the way back there is a market set up selling everything you saw in Antigua but I suspect at inflated prices. We did buy coffee on the way back to the ship because we didn’t see it much in Antigua. All in all a very enjoyable day.

In our mail slot, we had ‘An Invitation’ which I assumed was information on the Dine with Chef dinner. However, it was an apology from Sal in the PG that the dinner was canceled due to lack of interest and they offered us a free lunch or dinner in the PG as compensation – we’ll take that! We tried to make reservations for dinner at Canaletto on Saturday at 8 but they were booked but did have an 8PM for tonight. We took that then booked in at PG (all done via calling 88 on the phone) for Saturday (formal). A few minutes later, reservations called back to say they screwed up and didn’t have availability for tonight but did for Saturday. Since we had already booked at PG, we’ll call later for a reservation at Canaletto. A few minutes after that, we got a call from Guest Relations asking if we have had any problems – coincidence? We told them no and that everything was fine. I wonder if someone screws up that they have to report it so Guest Relations can smooth things over early? I don’t consider a reservations snafu to be that significant but perhaps some do.

I’ve come down with a sore throat during the day and Eric has acquired a salt shaker from the Lido for me to gargle with (the salt, not the shaker!). After dinner in the MDR, I’ll be going to bed but Eric wants to watch a movie at 10PM in the Wajang. The clocks go forward one more hour tonight (3 hours so far and one to go).

More later!

Doug

Enjoying your reviews, thanks for answering my questions. Is John Mann going to

be onboard at Christmas?

I am pretty sure I am going to just take the transport to Antigua. I have a great

guide book. It looks like alot of personnel changes for Christmas.

Greg

Archived