Tips on packing

buddy 27

Can any of you established cruises give any good tips on how to make sure we take everything we may need for a 28 day cruise to the Caribbean in December but still keep it to the 23KG case weight limit.. We have received some already but thought you CC members may have some good ones of your own etc.

Thanks in anticipation

Graham

Hi Buddy you must have read my mind. I'm struggling too!!What I would like to ask is.." will they charge us excess baggage or will we have to take things out of our cases?"We are not toooooo..much over(about 2kg in each case but I really can't see anything else I can remove. My sister has just returned from the Oriana and said her cases were marked heavy and nothing said BUT she was travelling BA and we are with Thompson.

This really is very difficult. 23kg is no use at all for 28 days!

In order for me to take 8 different formal dresses , my husband has only packed 2 formal shirts for himself. The downside of that is that I will have to go to the laundry. Just remember though - the Caribbean sun can get very hot and sometimes you need to escape inside!:rolleyes:

Remember to pack 10 or 12 washing tabs.

I have held back on the toiletries as I plan to go to Boots after security at the airport. Extra conditioner required for Caribbean!

I bought 2 plastic atomisers which my husband has filled with his favourite eau de toilette - I still get to take my perfume but only 1 normal sized and a few miniatures.:)

Gents - you won't need many prs of socks so don't bother wasting space packing them.

Ladies - a plain black dress can look completely different and be worn a few times if you have 2 or 3 pashminas which are light to pack.

Forget that miniature Xmas tree for the cabin - you'll hardly be in there anyway.

No need to pack a hairdryer - the one in the cabin is good enough.

Wear a jacket with lots of pockets -you can get another 6kgs doing this (my husband discovered this little trick!)

Take a book to read on the plane - the inflight entertainment isn't great.

I wish you all a very pleasant flight

Caryl

We managed by not taking any shampoo/conditioner, shower gels etc as they are all provided and good quality. Cut down to the bare minimum for other cosmetics. No need for a hairdryer. Put heavy stuff in your hand luggage, such as netbook and speakers, books etc. Wear your heaviest shoes to travel in. Make use of the laundry facilities. :)

Thanks so far people....we have a 5KG hand luggage allowance just so as you know! LOL Great all that extra weight what shall we pack!

Graham

We flew with Thompsons last month and no one checked the hand luggage for weight or size at Barbados airport. As it was only one way because we sailed Transatlantic from Southampton, I can't say they wouldn't check them at a UK airport. No one checked the weight of our cases either as they were taken from our cabin and we didn't see them again until Manchester airport. All that worrying for nothing :rolleyes:

The UK airports will certainly check the hand baggage. On our 1st cruise to Caribbean 2 women were walking around the departures gate area checking all hand baggage. My little case was taken away and checked in. No charge.

Don't know what the system is now. Perhaps they weigh at check -in?

The shampoo and conditioner on the ship is White Room and is excellent, but only 100mg bottle size. Not enough for 28 days. You can buy on board I suppose.

Barbados is a different matter altogether. They want an easy time of it!

Caryl

The UK airports will certainly check the hand baggage. On our 1st cruise to Caribbean 2 women were walking around the departures gate area checking all hand baggage. My little case was taken away and checked in. No charge.

Don't know what the system is now. Perhaps they weigh at check -in?

The shampoo and conditioner on the ship is White Room and is excellent, but only 100mg bottle size. Not enough for 28 days. You can buy on board I suppose.

Barbados is a different matter altogether. They want an easy time of it!

Caryl

I did think it would be stricter weight wise flying out of the UK. Don't know why they don't give you the option to pay to check in another case? It would be worth it.

I think you mean The White Company shampoo, unless Marco Pierre has a new range out? :D I kept calling it White Room too :cool: If you leave the empty bottle in the bathroom your cabin attendant will replace it.

Personally I find it is make-up, toiletries, shoes and jewellery which weigh the most, rather than clothes. This is where I need to be stricter with myself next time I fly.

I plan to visit Boots after security to buy my usual shampoo and conditioner, though I have found an empty shelf before when looking for my favourite suncream.

I really could limit the number of necklaces, shoes, lipsticks and eye shadows I take!

The trouble is, if you have these nice things which don't get much use at home these days, you want to take them on a special holiday.

Carol x

LOL!!! Sorry about that mistake -White Room indeed! The most delish shampoo!

Caryl

Don't let's give MPW ideas :eek: He was onboard Ventura signing his books like crazy on my cruise last month. Next it will be White Room inspired cosmetics and perfume :D

No one we spoke to who had been to the White Room had spotted him in the restaurant. He ate in East according to our waitress in there. :rolleyes:

I would say cut in half what you actually think you will need to wear for day and night. Use the laundry service and do a wash every couple of days. You dont even need to take washing tablets as they sell them in the shop - something like 50p for 2 tablets. You could even leave behind toiletries and suncream and buy them onboard. In fact when we boarded there were still people leaving from the previous cruise and they gave us all their suncream. Also people leave their cream in the spa toilets on the last day for other people to take if they want.

""This really is very difficult. 23kg is no use at all for 28 days!""

well you will have trouble if you do half a Worldie and fly back from far flung.

It CAN be done and we have done it :D

Someone suggested you don't need half the stuff you think you need :D:D:D CORRECT

Mike

I am already girding my loins for an argument on Monday morning (Oceana Panama Canal)

Check In desk,

"You will have to repack, Sir"

Why?

"One of your cases weighs 23.9kgs. The limit is 23kgs"

Does it weigh 24kgs

"No"

Then it must weigh 23kgs,!!!!:)

In order for me to take 8 different formal dresses , my husband has only packed 2 formal shirts for himself. The downside of that is that I will have to go to the laundry. Remember to pack 10 or 12 washing tabs.

Ladies - a plain black dress can look completely different and be worn a few times if you have 2 or 3 pashminas which are light to pack.

Caryl

One doesn't need 8 different dresses for a 28 night cruise, surely. We have done a world cruise, two 35 nights, two 23 nights and many cruises of over 14 nights. We only use the laundrette for cruises of over 2 weeks.

Most passengers, both ladies and gents, consider each segment of a world cruise as a separate one and similarly for cruises of less duration than a worldie but longer than 14 nights.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in wearing something twice other than in the mind of the wearer.

We shared a table with friends flying back from a half worldie and vice versa in the other direction so they had to be conservative in their choice of what to pack.

Use the laundry or the laundrettes. Thankfully some ships have this facility.

10 or 12 washing tablets for 28 days, if you are only packing one case, maybe, otherwise 3 or 4 will suffice.

My packing for a 14 nighter including a dinner suit weighs less than 17Kg including the case so for a 28 nighter I would probably take exactly the same clothes and just have them washed twice as often.

15 shirts (2 per day including 1 or 2 dress shirts for formal nights)

8 socks

8 underwear

12 handkerchiefs

dinner suit

semi formal linen jacket? (wear it to travel)

black shoes (not patent leather)

trainers (not white)

deck shoes

sandals?

3 pairs casual trousers

3 pairs shorts

sun hat

2 ties

etc

this leaves 6Kg plus the carry on for all the bits and pieces.

LOL! The 12 handkerchiefs and black shoes (not patent) make me smile.

Why do you need so many hankies Davetheroad? :D

One per day plus 2 spares plus the two formal ones for the dinner jacket. The formal ones are pre folded around cardboard and spray starched before I go (cheating). Can't stand paper hankies :D

Similar for the unmentionables, one per day. :eek:

On 14 nighter I usually have two batches of washing and let the ships laundry do the work, after all I am on holiday and have had sufficient experience of launderettes for it to be no longer a novelty, even with the fighting.

One per day plus 2 spares plus the two formal ones for the dinner jacket. The formal ones are pre folded around cardboard and spray starched before I go (cheating). Can't stand paper hankies :D

Similar for the unmentionables, one per day. :eek:

On 14 nighter I usually have two batches of washing and let the ships laundry do the work, after all I am on holiday and have had sufficient experience of launderettes for it to be no longer a novelty, even with the fighting.

OK, you are a very organised and accomplished packer and have a great sense of humour :D

Cant believe that people are actually packed for the Ventura 28day cruise already.....I am starting to feel slightly panicky now lol.....no idea how to cram everything we need into the cases. Had a plan to wear all the jewellery I wanted to take, until a friend suggested I would probably set off the alarms in Manchester Airport. Good idea about buying toiletries in the airport only problem then is hubby will know how much stuff costs!!!

will attempt to pack something tomorrow.

I have heavy metal necklaces and bracelets that set off the scanners at the airport. Just take them off and put them in the plastic tray otherwise you will be frisked, but it's not a problem and you will be allowed through.

Carol x

Archived