Just back from Mariner Thanksgiving cruise

aggiejade

It was a great cruise with a very nice new Captain, Nielsen Fleming, new cruise director for the Mariner, Paul Rutter who is friendly and has a good sense of humor. Beautiful ship! Sail away was very cold and windy but the rain had stopped by departure time. Nice weather in the 80's at the ports. Food was very good, of course better in MDR than in Windjammer but I liked everything I had in WJ. We sailed full and with lots of kids but never felt crowded. We didn't have chair hogs, you could always find chairs at both the main pool and Solarium. The shows were good, could always find a seat. Ice show was fabulous, we went to the last show on Fri night, not as crowded as the other shows. The comedian/singer Scott Record was very funny and did a great show. Quest was hilarious, not to be missed. Loved the sandwiches and cookies at Cafe Promenade. The 70's dance party on the Promenade was a blast, closer to the bridge the more fun! The only thing I can say that disappointed me slightly was that no Christmas decorations went up before the cruise ended. Several different people that went on last year's Mariner Thanksgiving cruise had said that decorations started going up before cruise ended. Oh well I can't have have everything lol. So sad that the beautiful Mariner is leaving Calif. I can't wait to cruise again and will have to do some research to figure out my next affordable destination.

Did they have any Thanksgiving decorations?

Yes, they had orange/yellow garland strung above shops and at the guest relations desk along with Happy Thanksgiving signs, Thanksgiving banners along the promenade and on Thanksgiving day there was a large cornucopia display of fresh fruits and veggies with a Happy Thanksgiving sign set up at the entrance of the Windjammer.

It was a great cruise with a very nice new Captain, Nielsen Fleming, new cruise director for the Mariner, Paul Rutter who is friendly and has a good sense of humor. Beautiful ship! Sail away was very cold and windy but the rain had stopped by departure time. Nice weather in the 80's at the ports. Food was very good, of course better in MDR than in Windjammer but I liked everything I had in WJ. We sailed full and with lots of kids but never felt crowded. We didn't have chair hogs, you could always find chairs at both the main pool and Solarium. The shows were good, could always find a seat. Ice show was fabulous, we went to the last show on Fri night, not as crowded as the other shows. The comedian/singer Scott Record was very funny and did a great show. Quest was hilarious, not to be missed. Loved the sandwiches and cookies at Cafe Promenade. The 70's dance party on the Promenade was a blast, closer to the bridge the more fun! The only thing I can say that disappointed me slightly was that no Christmas decorations went up before the cruise ended. Several different people that went on last year's Mariner Thanksgiving cruise had said that decorations started going up before cruise ended. Oh well I can't have have everything lol. So sad that the beautiful Mariner is leaving Calif. I can't wait to cruise again and will have to do some research to figure out my next affordable destination.

We were also onboard and agree with the above....Great cruise. The MDR food was better than what I have had in recent past. The crew especially our cabin steward Jose, Keith and Imron in the Pub and Richard our waiter were great. Ship is beautiful but needs some rehab work. It was great to see the Captain and Snr officers show up and actually do the whole Walk for Wishes - showing their commitment to such a great cause. In fact I think I saw this Captain more around the ship than any other captain. The Guest entertainment and the Ice Show were great; especially Scott Record - VERY FUNNY. We will be on her next summer in Europe - can't wait

Thanks for the info. Were you able to sit poolside on the first sea day, Monday, or was it still too chilly?

The Monday is still cool but we saw many people at the pool. We sat out in the Solarium, but not in our swim suits. Your call. You can always layer and remove and put on as necessary.

Thanks for the info. Were you able to sit poolside on the first sea day, Monday, or was it still too chilly?

If you can stay in the sun and be shaded from the wind it is ok... I stayed poolside for about 2 hours 11-1. The hot tubs felt great though!

Archived