Not Allowed to Take Wine

Happy HALer

If you are a stickler for following "rules", then according to my Guest Ticket Contract and the Terms and Conditions for our upcoming cruise, we are not allowed to bring wine onboard.

Here are the only references to alcohol in those documents.

From the Guest Ticket Contract:

The Guest further understands and agrees that any alcoholic beverages purchased ashore shall not be brought or consumed aboard the vessel under any circumstances, but shall be delivered to the vessel's crew at the gangway to be retained by the Carrier until the Guest disembarks at the end of the voyage.

From the FAQ section which covers embarkation:

What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages.

These statements differ from our last NCL cruise. I was planning to bring some unique wines not available on NCL's limited wine list. I think they are going a bit too far.:mad:

That policy statement has been there for years and pax have been able to bring wine aboard after paying a corkage fee.

Those are the rules spelled out in our Contract. Are you saying we don't have to follow the rules? Or, are you saying NCL does not enforce their rules, or does so selectively?

I haven't the authority to tell you which rules you should follow or not follow;). This is a quote from another thread on this board and evidently is something received directly from NCL:

"Greetings,

Below please see Norwegian Cruise Lines liquor and wine policy.

Liquor Policy Guests are NOT allowed to bring their own liquor onboard our ships. Liquor that is brought onboard at embarkation or during the cruise will be held until the last night of the cruise.

Wine Policy

Guests are only allowed to bring bottle(s) of wine onboard NCL vessels for a corkagefee. When wine is brought onboard and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room/area, or in their stateroom corkage fees will apply according to bottle sizes noted below. This fee will be charged to the guest’s onboard account. Wines that come in boxes are not allowed onboard.

• Bottle is 750ml corkage = $15.00 USD
  • Liter Bottle is 1,000ml corkage = $20.00 USD
  • Magnum is 1,500ml corkage = $30.00 USD "

As for NCL's enforcement of its rules, some rules are not enforced or are enforced selectively but I think their rules regarding alcohol are probably the most consistently enforced rules in the NCL fleet.

There is a long thread about the "Naughty Room". NCL x-ray checked luggage and bags showing bottles are held in the Naughty Room. Pax have to go there and open them, liquor is held until the last night of the cruise, wine is also held or the corkage fee can be paid.

I think I saw that post, and that is what made me look at our Guest Ticket Contract, the Terms and Conditions and the FAQ section in our e-Docs. These are the rules which we are bound to. If NCL regularly allows some wine to be brought on board, can you also bring beer? In my mind, beer is a lot like champagne.:D

There is a long thread about the "Naughty Room". NCL x-ray checked luggage and bags showing bottles are held in the Naughty Room. Pax have to go there and open them, liquor is held until the last night of the cruise, wine is also held or the corkage fee can be paid.

Yes. The point of my post is that our contract states we can not bring any beverages containing alcohol onboard. That would include wine. NCL should either state the rules as they are enforced, or enforce the rules as they are written. Why some grey area left for speculation and confusion. Selective enforcement will always lead to more selective compliance.

If you are a stickler for following "rules", then according to my Guest Ticket Contract and the Terms and Conditions for our upcoming cruise, we are not allowed to bring wine onboard.

The Guest further understands and agrees that any alcoholic beverages purchased ashore shall not be brought or consumed aboard the vessel under any circumstances, but shall be delivered to the vessel's crew at the gangway to be retained by the Carrier until the Guest disembarks at the end of the voyage.

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages.

These statements differ from our last NCL cruise. I was planning to bring some unique wines not available on NCL's limited wine list. I think they are going a bit too far.:mad:

I was on a Norwegian cruise of the Mexican Riviera several years ago and all of the booze in our carry-on luggage was confiscated. Instead of our checked luggage being delivered to our cabin, we received a letter saying that we had violated the alcohol policy and giving instructions as to where we could claim our luggage (after 7:00 pm) and pay corkage fees if we desired to drink the confiscated wine. The booze was held until the end of the cruise. This is the first time I’ve experienced this on any cruiseline.

absolutely not true: NCL does not allow hard liquor. Many lines are now cracking down on hared liquor but unless it says NO WINE, they do still allow it and probably always will.

Nita

I

"Below please see Norwegian Cruise Lines liquor and [/color]wine policy.

Liquor Policy Guests are NOT allowed to bring their own liquor onboard our ships. Liquor that is brought onboard at embarkation or during the cruise will be held until the last night of the cruise.

Wine Policy

Guests are only allowed to bring bottle(s) of wine onboard NCL vessels for a corkagefee. When wine is brought onboard and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room/area, or in their stateroom corkage fees will apply according to bottle sizes noted below. This fee will be charged to the guest’s onboard account. Wines that come in boxes are not allowed onboard.

• Bottle is 750ml corkage = $15.00 USD
  • Liter Bottle is 1,000ml corkage = $20.00 USD
  • Magnum is 1,500ml corkage = $30.00 USD "

As for NCL's enforcement of its rules, some rules are not enforced or are enforced selectively but I think their rules regarding alcohol are probably the most consistently enforced rules in the NCL fleet.

In general, NCL makes a distinction between Liquor and Wine. While they seem to be lumped together in the NCL statement quoted by the OP, the policy enforced is in the NCL FAQ.

Those are the rules spelled out in our Contract. Are you saying we don't have to follow the rules? Or, are you saying NCL does not enforce their rules, or does so selectively?

No one is saying you don't have to follow the rules. If wine wasn't allowed would there be a table set up as you go through security to collect the $15 per bottle. The statement may go clear back to the days (about 5 or 6 years ago) when, indeed wine was not allowed, but the policy was never enforced. NCL should change the wording.

Nita

To me, this is just an instance where the contract doesn't define the terms properly. It's clear that "liquor" is defined as hard liquor, which doesn't include wine. But for some strange reason, liquor does include beer. So yes, the contract is poorly worded but NCL's practice clearly demonstrates what is and isn't permitted.

To me, this is just an instance where the contract doesn't define the terms properly. It's clear that "liquor" is defined as hard liquor, which doesn't include wine. But for some strange reason, liquor does include beer. So yes, the contract is poorly worded but NCL's practice clearly demonstrates what is and isn't permitted.

If NCL's practice demonstrates what is permited, then what is permitted should always be challenged in order to affirm what is not allowed.

We are getting married at Christmas and taking on board NCL a bottle of champagne - the events co-ordinator said we have to pay $15 fee for a 750ml bottle - they will label it as corkage paid so we can then take it to any restaurant we wish and have it chilled for dinner

If NCL's practice demonstrates what is permited, then what is permitted should always be challenged in order to affirm what is not allowed.

NCL's practice only demonstrates that their website wording needs overhauling.

NCL's liquor policy is abundantly clear to anyone who checks on these boards. No spirits or beer to be brought on board; if you choose to bring wine on board there is a corkage fee chargeable on entry to the ship. Anything other than wine will be held until you leave the ship.

If you are a Holland America cruiser, the rules on wine brought on board NCL are definitely tighter than theirs.

Whether you choose to circumvent these rules is up to you!

In general, NCL makes a distinction between Liquor and Wine. While they seem to be lumped together in the NCL statement quoted by the OP, the policy enforced is in the NCL FAQ.

Here is a link to the only mention in the FAQs regarding alcohol. There is no mention of wine being treated differently than any other intoxicating beverages. http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19268

NCL's practice only demonstrates that their website wording needs overhauling.Agreed

NCL's liquor policy is abundantly clear to anyone who checks on these boards. No spirits or beer to be brought on board; if you choose to bring wine on board there is a corkage fee chargeable on entry to the ship. Anything other than wine will be held until you leave the ship.Perhaps, but most people that cruise have never heard of CC. Also, as you stated, the contract should clearly state what their policy is.

If you are a Holland America cruiser, the rules on wine brought on board NCL are definitely tighter than theirs. Absolutely. No corkage on HAL unless you take a bottle to the dining room, and even there if you take care of your wine steward you can realize significant savings.

Whether you choose to circumvent these rules is up to you! Also agreed[/quote]

:):):)

We brought 8 bottles of wine on the Jewel in October and there was no one at the table to collect the corkage fees. The two security guards just said go on in - this is your lucky day. Never paid corkage on any of it the whole week!!!

NCL's practice only demonstrates that their website wording needs overhauling.Agreed

NCL's liquor policy is abundantly clear to anyone who checks on these boards. No spirits or beer to be brought on board; if you choose to bring wine on board there is a corkage fee chargeable on entry to the ship. Anything other than wine will be held until you leave the ship.Perhaps, but most people that cruise have never heard of CC. Also, as you stated, the contract should clearly state what their policy is.

If you are a Holland America cruiser, the rules on wine brought on board NCL are definitely tighter than theirs. Absolutely. No corkage on HAL unless you take a bottle to the dining room, and even there if you take care of your wine steward you can realize significant savings.

HAL is one of the most relaxed lines when it comes to bringing wine aboard. Princess is pretty relaxed as well.

Nita

Archived