QE Moss Bros. rentals?

Ab Ovo

I read somewhere -- cannot find it now -- that MV Queen Elizabeth would have on a Moss Bros. rental for formal wear for men. Is this so? Anyone have any experience with this? For years I've read this site and wanted to throw bricks when men post they'll be pigging around abroad for weeks and don't want to drag about dinner cloths with them. It's a ship! It has formal nights! Dress appropriately! But good grief, now I've turned into one of them! I'll be a month in London, three weeks at Browns, ONE bag. A small one! TINY! Blazer, khakis, one club tie (a proper one, of course) ... oh, it CAN be done! What about buying M.B. used on Oxford Street January 04 and leave on ship? Or rent M.B. on departure 05? Anyone experienced? Help! :)

I read somewhere -- cannot find it now -- that MV Queen Elizabeth would have on a Moss Bros. rental for formal wear for men. Is this so? Anyone have any experience with this? For years I've read this site and wanted to throw bricks when men post they'll be pigging around abroad for weeks and don't want to drag about dinner cloths with them. It's a ship! It has formal nights! Dress appropriately! But good grief, now I've turned into one of them! I'll be a month in London, three weeks at Browns, ONE bag. A small one! TINY! Blazer, khakis, one club tie (a proper one, of course) ... oh, it CAN be done! What about buying M.B. used on Oxford Street January 04 and leave on ship? Or rent M.B. on departure 05? Anyone experienced? Help! :)

If you are anything approaching a conventional shape you're probably better buying a new one at M&S and dumping it on the ship rather than hiring.

If QM2 is anything to go by, you'll not get shoes on board anyway.

WD

Thanks guys. (M.B. is Moss Bros.) $99 USD nightly is better than Brooks' $1600 and $675 for three shirts ... and nothing to carry!

The dinner clothes I don't fit into now are 39 Long ... I guess now I'll be 42 Portly! Portly Plus? Well, life's good. No doubt the new Queen Elizabeth will be, too.

Ab Ovo, I love your avatar photo! Is there a story behind it? ;)

With all that time in London, maybe you can browse a few charity shops... some of them have some very nice things, maybe you can find something to take on QE with you that way. And save a bundle.

browse a few charity shops... some of them have some very nice things

The problem with charity shops is that they only have what they've been given (almost :rolleyes: ). I've been volunteering in one in York for just over 12 months now. I've only seen one dinner suit in all that time. It's unlikely you'd be able to pick one up if you were just to call into a shop by chance.

My advice would be the same as William's - go to M & S or Moss Bros (or even ASDA :eek: ) and buy a cheap suit, abandoning it when you leave the ship :).

Archived