Dirty water on Adventure

sbtagent

And, incidentally, you didn't pay for that water. You paid for the room. Everything else is just thrown in gratis.

Can I expect that the cruise fare I paid include access to a lifeboat if my vessel is sinking? Or is that something the RCL throws in gratis or reserves the right to have a surchange for, since it isn't part of my room?

Access to safe and clean water is provided as part of your fare. Does their failure to provide it require damages in the form of a full refund? In most cases, no. If they were to accidental plumb the grey or black water systems up to drinking water supply? Yes

The fare doesn't account for just the cabin. In includes cabin, access to the services of the ship, and meals.

If you really believe otherwise, please let me know what businesses you are involved with so that I can avoid them.

Can I expect that the cruise fare I paid include access to a lifeboat if my vessel is sinking? Or is that something the RCL throws in gratis or reserves the right to have a surchange for, since it isn't part of my room?

Access to safe and clean water is provided as part of your fare. Does their failure to provide it require damages in the form of a full refund? In most cases, no. If they were to accidental plumb the grey or black water systems up to drinking water supply? Yes

The fare doesn't account for just the cabin. In includes cabin, access to the services of the ship, and meals.

If you really believe otherwise, please let me know what businesses you are involved with so that I can avoid them.

Well...that is a legal issue (the lifeboats) so that point is moot. But your last point is interesting so let's look.

If, one week, the pools were shut down, would you demand a refund? Or if the rockwall was unavailable? Or the entertainment union had a strike so there were reduced shows?

Your cruisefare is for the cabin. Nothing in the cruise ticket contract guarantees you anything else. Should RCI provide the other aspects we expect? Of course. But are they obligated? Nope. You agreed to that when she agreed to the CTC. Check for yourself, if you aren't sure. Read it carefully. Your rights are carefully and purposefully ignored.

If, one week, the pools were shut down, would you demand a refund? Or if the rockwall was unavailable? Or the entertainment union had a strike so there were reduced shows?

Nope if those were unavailable I might be disappointed. Brown water = more than disappointed.

I sent an email to RCI Customer Service advising them of problems noted with the water on AOS. I advised them there was a thread on Cruise Critic that was voicing concerns about brown water. I asked if the problem had been address and resolved. Here is their response.

"Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

We appreciate your taking time to contact us and are happy to reply. Please be assured, any onboard facilities issues are addressed as soon as the ship staff is aware. Regretfully, we do not have specific details about a past guest issue and are unable to speculate on third party comments posted on the internet. The safety of our guests and crew is top priority and we encourage you to contact the Guest Services Desk onboard if you have any concerns during your sailing.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you onboard! "

So the short answer is I guest not!! Not my problem anymore - flipped over to Liberty (for other reasons than the water!)

Well...that is a legal issue (the lifeboats) so that point is moot. But your last point is interesting so let's look.

Your cruisefare is for the cabin. Nothing in the cruise ticket contract guarantees you anything else. Should RCI provide the other aspects we expect? Of course. But are they obligated? Nope. You agreed to that when she agreed to the CTC. Check for yourself, if you aren't sure. Read it carefully.

So many easy examples:

Section 8.

e. Carrier may also change accommodations, alter or cancel any activities of, deny service of alcohol to, confine to a stateroom or quarantine, search the

stateroom, property or baggage of any Passenger, change a Passenger's RCT Land Tour, disembark or refuse to embark the Passenger and/or any

Passenger responsible for any minor Passenger, or restrain any Passenger at any time, without liability, at the risk and expense of the Passenger, when

in the sole opinion of Carrier or Captain the Passenger's conduct or presence, or that of any minor for whom the Passenger is responsible, is believed to

present a possible danger, security risk or be detrimental to himself or the health, welfare, comfort or enjoyment of others, or is in violation of any provision

of this Agreement.

Now suppose the captain determines a passenger should be confined to quarters because that passenger was kind of ugly and it was interfering with someone else's enjoyment of the cruise. According to the contract, the ugly passenger has no legal recourse.

Think the courts would agree? They'd find the contract terms unconscionable and rule in favor of the ugly passenger.

5. SHORE EXCURSIONS, TOURS, FACILITIES OR OTHER TRANSPORTATION:

All arrangements made for or by Passenger for transportation (other than on the Vessel or on any Transport owned or operated by RCT in connection with

a RCT Land Tour) before, during or after the Cruise or CruiseTour of any kind whatsoever, as well as air arrangements, shore excursions, tours, hotels,

restaurants, attractions and other similar activities or services, including all related conveyances, products or facilities, are made solely for Passenger's

convenience and are at Passenger's risk. The providers, owners and operators of such services, conveyances, products and facilities are independent

contractors and are not acting as agents or representatives of Carrier. Even though Carrier may collect a fee for, or otherwise profit from, making such

arrangements and offers for sale shore excursions, tours, hotels, restaurants, attractions, elements of the RCT Land Tour packages that are provided by

independent contractors and other similar activities or services taking place off the Vessel for a profit, it does not undertake to supervise or control such

independent contractors or their employees, nor maintain their conveyances or facilities, and makes no representation, whether express or implied,

regarding their suitability or safety. In no event shall Carrier be liable for any loss, delay, disappointment, damage, injury, death or other harm whatsoever

to Passenger which occurs on or off the Vessel or the Transport as a result of any acts, omissions or negligence of any independent contractors.

Could RCL knowingly hire Al Qaeda, Inc as a shore excursion contractor without exposing themselves to any liability for their actions? Sure, according to the contract. But again, I guarantee the courts would find otherwise.

Likewise, RCL advertises its meal services and dining to prospective passengers. Can they decide to cancel all meal service on a transatlantic crossing? The contract doesn't mention food anywhere. Think they'd be able to successfully defend themselves against refund claims because the contract didn't explicitly say passengers could expect meal service?

Your rights are carefully and purposefully ignored.

It is a contract of adhesion, and the courts will treat it accordingly.

• 4 months later...
Wow. It seems difficult to write a thread about anything these days, without the "entitlement" people tuning in with the likes of: "RCCL owes you ....." What has happened to our society?

Bill

I agree....it's astonishing to see people that actually expect the line to instantly replace every pipe on the ship in a matter of seconds. Rust is not harmful....it may not look nice, but it won't hurt you.

Iron pipes? Are you serious? The Adventure wasn't built in the 1940s, you know.
Yep Iron pipes. The reason is due to:

a. They dont deteriorate due to the salty conditons

b. They are safer than lead pipes !!

c. They are more robust than other types of metals (Aliminium etc)

It was a known fact that Aliminium used to build ships had an inherent design problem, the metal warped and bent during rough weather, in fact it started developing cracks.

As regards to the tainting of the water, it is not toxic, it is however unsightly. The thought of brushings ones teeth in it is discouraging, however refunds, upgrades and other kickbacks from the cruise line is unrealistic.

The trouble with locating the source of the problem is very hard for the cruise line, think of all the miles of pipework onboard a boat. Its a case of trying to narrow it down to specific zones, then to specific areas. The crews / engineers are normally investigating the problem to locate the source and then replace the affected pipe.

Its only discolouration and not someone trying to poison you whilst on a cruise !!!

:)

It is amazing how people will defend their favorite cruise line under any circumstance.

A cruise line has the obligation to deliver clean, clear water. "The brown color is unsightly but is not unsafe" does not pass muster -- it is just an excuse.

We were in the Royal Suite on Adventure at the beginning of 2011. At the beginning of the cruise, the water was fine.

By the end of day two, the water turned brown in all of the sinks and the jacuzzi on the patio.

We filled the jacuzzi on the patio to the brim -- what a disgusting sight to have the jacuzzi fill with dark brown water.

Jacuzzi couldn't be used for the rest of the week. We were given Evian to brush our teeth with. We showered in the gym.

The situation did not get corrected. Made the full bathroom and jacuzzi unusable.

We were given an immediate onboard credit of $500 and then when we got home we were refunded 50% of the cruise.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Curious if any of the recent cruisers on Adventure had problems with rust in the water?

:confused:

yes we were just on the March 11 sailing out of san Juan and we got brown water coming out of the taps during the week. Went to front desk and requested water in bottles for n/c the girl at the desk said no but when i pushed back the manager told us to use bottle water in the room at n/c

yes we were just on the March 11 sailing out of san Juan and we got brown water coming out of the taps during the week. Went to front desk and requested water in bottles for n/c the girl at the desk said no but when i pushed back the manager told us to use bottle water in the room at n/c

Thanks for the reply! Of course now I'm freaking out that I changed our cruise for next winter from Freedom to Adventure (we wanted to go to the Southern Caribbean):eek:

• 3 weeks later...
1. That towel looks like it was used to wipe the floor.

2. The water is clean, just a bit rusty. It is not harmful in anyway - it just looks ookie

3. Where, oh where, did they promise you rust free water? You understand that this sometimes happens when you have to store water in a giant metal container, right?

I'm not saying it isn't ookie. I am saying that crap happens and in the middle of a cruise, there isn't really anything that can be done about it. And you don't deserve a refund because 1. the water wasn't toxic and 2. you still got your cruise.

Rust is not clean, and you do not know that it is not harmful without a Quality lab testing it. Part of quality control for liquids is clarity and color - this water will fail a quality test for potable water. Therefore, rendering it unsafe.

Also, cruise ships need to follow standards and regulations set by OSHA as well as the FDA and I can assure you one of those agencies will not like the idea of rusty water. Ever notice the crew wearing fall protection to change a light bulb? There's a reason.

You absolutely do not know that this water isn't toxic. First of all, people react differently to different chemicals ie: allergies. So it could quite possibly be toxic. Especially to a younger or geriatric population. You just do not know enough to make that claim.

This isn't the Santa Maria... they have laws and guidelines to follow.

However, you are correct: crap certainly does happen, and it happens often. I do think that RCI could have given each guest a $50 OBC, they are afterall in a competitive business and those traveling with RCI for the first time without some sort of kickback will likely never travel with them again.

Do you think they would buy the argument that I brush my teeth with beer?? :D:D:D

I like where your heads at.

Archived